Different thread size Leica IIIf vs Leather Case

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just acquired a genuine Leica leather case to fit my Leica IIIf camera but the fixing screw inside the case is a smaller diameter than the screw thread in the bottom plate of the camera. In every other respect the case fits the camera perfectly. I read somewhere about there being European vs American (?) thread sizes. If so, does anyone know if there is a screw in adapter that can be used to reduce the size of the thread on the camera?:confused:

Thanks

• 6 years later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just acquired a genuine Leica leather case to fit my Leica IIIf camera but the fixing screw inside the case is a smaller diameter than the screw thread in the bottom plate of the camera. In every other respect the case fits the camera perfectly. I read somewhere about there being European vs American (?) thread sizes. If so, does anyone know if there is a screw in adapter that can be used to reduce the size of the thread on the camera?:confused:

Thanks

The fixing screw in my leather case is larger than the thread in the bottom plate of my 111F. There appears not to be a bottom plate adaptor bush fitted since there are no slots to facilitate removal. Did Leica produce base plates with differing tripod bush threads? If so, it would seem that I have purchased a case that cannot be used with my camera bottom! Your comments will be much appreciated.

Yes, the cameras and cases were made with the different size threads for different world markets. I have cameras and cases with both, including M3s and cases of both types. I think the larger thread was standard in Europe, and I know the smaller was standard in the US.

You might find a spare baseplate for your camera to match the case.

Edited by TomB_tx
  • Like 1

Copying literally the Leitz Catalog of 1961...

LEICA M3, as specified, without lens     10150A

ditto, 3/8" tripod bush                              10650P

with the following lenses :

ELMAR f 3,5 50mm            10155T

ditto, 3/8" tripod bush         10655G

.... and so on... ;)

(and same "dual coding" existed for lenses scaled in feet or in meters...before they were so smart to invent the currently used "dual scale")

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Hello Everybody,

It would have been better for the Photo Industry to standardize on a 3/8 thread for cameras wherever possible.  

Having used both: The 3/8 diameter screw, with twice the surface gripping ability, holds cameras, etc, better in a number of situations.

Because of this: I try to use tripods, ball heads & the like which have 3/8 connections whenever possible.

And then connect to the 1/4 fitting(s) only when necessary.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

The 3/8" x 18 can torque to about 218 in-lbs in silicon bronze; the 1/4" x 20 can torque to about 68.8 in-lbs, also in silicon bronze.  Neither is a lot of torque, but there is a difference.  However, I think it is more that the 3/8" socket was standard in Europe, and the 1/4" socket was standard in the US.

Scott

• Like 1

The 3/8" x 18 can torque to about 218 in-lbs in silicon bronze; the 1/4" x 20 can torque to about 68.8 in-lbs, also in silicon bronze.  Neither is a lot of torque, but there is a difference.  However, I think it is more that the 3/8" socket was standard in Europe, and the 1/4" socket was standard in the US.

(Bold is is mine) That is interesting. Looking at my Super Ikontas, they are 3/8". Thanks for that.

• 3 years later...
On 11/22/2010 at 1:03 PM, pico said:

Strangely, the size and threads are American Standard. How did that happen?

Perhaps this can help.  

Most consumer cameras are fitted with 1/4-20 UNC threads. Larger, professional cameras and lenses may be fitted with 3/8-16 UNC threads, plus a removable 1/4-20 UNC adapter, allowing them to be mounted on a tripod using either standard.

Historically, The Royal Photographic Society recommended the thread standard for attaching older cameras to tripods was 3/16-24 BSW (3/16 inch nominal diameter, 24 threads per inch), or 1/4-20 BSW for smaller cameras and 3/8-16 BSW for larger cameras and pan/tilt heads. In this application, the BSW and UNC thread profiles are similar enough that one can mount a modern camera on a legacy tripod and vice versa. The UNC threads are a 60-degree angle and flattened, whereas the BSW are a 55-degree angle and rounded crest.