D-Lux 5 Book?

00angelfish

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there,

I'd like to buy my girlfriend a photography guide as she just got a D-Lux 5, are there any specific to this camera published yet? I've seen this one for the D-Lux 4, I know next to nothing about Leica cameras I'm afraid so would this still be applicable to the D-Lux 5 (buttons, menus etc)? Or would it be better to get a general digital photography guide?

Many thanks!

Chris

Chris,

Welcome to the forum!

The book you've linked to for the D-Lux 4 by Alexander S White is an excellent book, provides many tips not included in the manual and is written from a photographer's perspective. Regrettably, the D-Lux 5 was only released last month so the equivalent book isn't available yet.

However, the D-Lux 5 has an identical sister camera, the Panasonic DMC-LX5 (commonly known as the LX5) and Alexander S White has published his book for the LX5. Unfortunately I note that it's available through Amazon UK but the price is quoted here as £1,056.34:eek::eek:, which seems a little steep! I note that Amazon US has it at $24.95, which seems more reasonable although it's not available to those of us in the UK. Hopefully the Amazon UK price should come down before too long.

Pete.

I to am interested in a book for the Leica D-lux5, I went to Mr Whites web page;

Digital Photography Guide | Photographer's Guide | Alexander S. White and he does have both the E-book and regular book on sale.... My question would be this,,, is there enough differences between the Leica d-lux5 and the lumix-lx5 that the lumix-lx5 book would not really help for the leica d-lux5 owner....

thoughts

I to am interested in a book for the Leica D-lux5, I went to Mr Whites web page;

Digital Photography Guide | Photographer's Guide | Alexander S. White and he does have both the E-book and regular book on sale.... My question would be this,,, is there enough differences between the Leica d-lux5 and the lumix-lx5 that the lumix-lx5 book would not really help for the leica d-lux5 owner....

thoughts

They are the exact same camera. I have posted all the user screens in this thread

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/digital-forum/145657-opted-out-dl5-got-lx5-4.html#post1497523

So you can cross reference them against the DL5 user screens and see if there is any difference. There isn't!!! So the book on the LX5 will work for the DL5.

• 2 months later...

FYI Alexander S. White has written a book dedicated to the D-Lux 5. I got my copy from Amazon and it is titled:

Photographer's Guide to the Leica D-Lux 5

and it covers the camera and all of its specific features, has pictures of what the controls do and has a rather complete index. Overall I am glad I bought it as I am more 'old school' and prefer a book to a pdf file.

I have the D-LUX5 book. It's very readable and MUCH better than the manual, which by the way is rather poor. The only thing I miss is at good overview of the menus like Olympus gives in ther manuals for at least the E-system.

niels

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Don't waste time & money on these books they are absolutely useless

Better spend some time with the camera to know what you should use for your type of photographs

Better is to invest in a good book on some good photographers like HCB or Eugine Smith or national geographic

;)

Btw you can learn much much more on this forum as compared to any book. the members provide a varied view & if u r using an I phone then it's always in your pocket for quick read or reference

All you have to do is get the app

Don't waste time & money on these books they are absolutely useless

Better spend some time with the camera to know what you should use for your type of photographs

Better is to invest in a good book on some good photographers like HCB or Eugine Smith or national geographic

;)

Excellent reading but I doubt that books on HCB or Eugene Smith will inform the reader::rolleyes:

- what the 'Highlight On' setting does

- how to quickly change the metering mode

- how to turn turn on the step zoom

- what decisions the camera has made for you in intelligent auto mode

- how to turn on 'film grain'

- why Multi Film mode isn't working

Some of these questions and others can be answered intuitively or by a bit of blundering through the menu system but others can't.

You might pose these questions in this forum but you're relying on the generosity and good grace of members here who have bought the book to answer them for you. Perhaps that's the reason to buy the book.:)

Pete.

• Like 1

Excellent reading but I doubt that books on HCB or Eugene Smith will inform the reader::rolleyes:

- what the 'Highlight On' setting does

- how to quickly change the metering mode

- how to turn turn on the step zoom

- what decisions the camera has made for you in intelligent auto mode

- how to turn on 'film grain'

- why Multi Film mode isn't working

Some of these questions and others can be answered intuitively or by a bit of blundering through the menu system but others can't.

You might pose these questions in this forum but you're relying on the generosity and good grace of members here who have bought the book to answer them for you. Perhaps that's the reason to buy the book.:)

Pete.

Well you are right in a way Pete.

But these things come by eventually in like 6 months.

What is really important to learn are things like composition, balance between light and shadows eventually capturing the drama.

I apologize if I was too dismissive to start with.

Cheers

Amod

Ps I am still learning as well :)

• Like 1