Leica/LUF @ P'kina in English

andybarton

Guest BigSplash
Welcome to the real world. Shock! Horror!! Leicas sold ex-stock!! Dealers starting to discount a year after product launch!!! Used cameras now on eBay - how distasteful! They should remain in short supply at full price and the hoi-polloi can't be allowed to use them!

Bill I think it wonderful that cameras are exstock, and as a potential buyer that some dealers are now discounting them. The fact that Leica have achieved massive sales growth for a full year after product launch is great.

In the real world however these are warning signals for management that were not heeded when the M8 was a smash hit. When M8 sales inevitably slumped this caused several quarters of losses for Leica and required Dr Kaufmann to inject yet again more capital to keep the business afloat as recently as 2009!

I think we can learn from history there are always idiots that have no commercial awareness, that do not care if companies survive and think it wrong to even comment. I am not one of those. I am hopeful that Leica will not only survive but will grow and prosper such that they will always be there to provide after sales support plus will introduce more exciting products each year.

Apparently Leica success or otherwise is not of any concern of yours and anyone who comments is accused of armchair CEO rhetoric, or gets a one liner of zero contribution value from yourself, or is accused of taking the thread off track as you have done here.

Surely all comments relating to the direction of Leica camera AG as part of the biannual Photokina or the Q&A that followed is the subject of this thread. Others seem to think so.

Why do we not just disagree and you go as you suggest for your walk in the park.

I'm going out for some fresh air; I can't stand the fug in here. Another useful thread has been derailed. Shame.

Why do we not just disagree and you go as you suggest for your walk in the park.

You truly are incapable of the most straightforward comprehension aren't you?

Tell you what, go and start a new thread with your pontifications and leave this one to go back to the discussion of interesting facts. One or two people may just join you if they really have nothing better to do.

Since you are so fond of inferring things from statistics, Frank, here are some for you.

The original thread "Your questions to Leica", in which we were freely given the opportunity to ask whatever questions we wanted of Leica's senior management - attracted 480 responses from 155 different posters. You posted in that thread exactly twice, and once was to chide Redbaron. So, charitably, your contribution to the process was 0.42% of the total.

Now that the opportunity has passed and you feel free to "interpret", misconstrue, misunderstand, stir and generally crap on Leica again, you have "contributed" 12% of the postings to this thread and stand as the most garrulous poster.

Plus ça change...

Guest BigSplash
Since you are so fond of inferring things from statistics, Frank, here are some for you.

The original thread "Your questions to Leica", in which we were freely given the opportunity to ask whatever questions we wanted of Leica's senior management - attracted 480 responses from 155 different posters. You posted in that thread exactly twice, and once was to chide Redbaron. So, charitably, your contribution to the process was 0.42% of the total.

Now that the opportunity has passed and you feel free to "interpret", misconstrue, misunderstand, stir and generally crap on Leica again, you have "contributed" 12% of the postings to this thread and stand as the most garrulous poster.

Plus ça change...

Bill I read and agreed with many of the 480 responses so why should I then go and ask the same question? Here this thread is about commenting the responses received from Leica management isn't it and that is exactly what I am doing. Your responses as usual are not directed at commenting the Q&A session and giving your thoughts, or adding value but as usual are directed at those (mainly me but also others) that dare to comment.

Could you please go for that walk that you promised you are really becoming tiresome.

Yeh right. Let us know when you have something - anything - positive to contribute, eh Frank. Or even better, when you are going to do anything for Leica or this forum. Now let's park your ego and get back to the interesting, factually accurate, realistic and relevant shall we, there's a good chap.

Guest BigSplash

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yeh right. Let us know when you have something - anything - positive to contribute, eh Frank. Or even better, when you are going to do anything for Leica or this forum. Now let's park your ego and get back to the interesting, factually accurate, realistic and relevant shall we, there's a good chap.

Bill try to do what you are telling me to do....just look at your hundreds of threads on any subject that add no value to the forum.

I apologise to other forum members about this bickering as it is tiresome and I am not going to respond to your crap on this thread anymore.

The M10 will need to be a significant step as it will I believe need to feature a CMOS full frame sensor, probably offer Liveview, have a 5fps (or more) consecutive shutter speed better than 20 frames buffer memory to just keep up with today's competing products, plus offer Thethering, Flash sync ....and most likely at least focus verification, and arguably HD video.

Why? x7

I said 6 months ago that you'd not get an M10 today.

• Like 1

Geoff please explain why you nearly fell off your chair and why I should smile a little................ .

Frank it made me grin because RedBaron joked that you would post a 'missed opportunity' thread after 10/10/10 inevitably produced nothing. Then you did exactly that:) These discussions need not always be taken too seriously. I think that you enjoy provoking discussion.

The content in the Q&A came from the specific questions pre-submitted by forum members and were answers for this Forum, not primarily an official press release or policy statement.

The point about the M9 was that it was released 12 months BEFORE this photokina so we already had that major M development. Not to mention all of the other new product as well. So I think that your comments on a lack of new developments announcements here were unsupported. Given the internet forum fall out from the R10 cancellation, I suspect that Leica Camera will be much more circumspect with future comments on up-coming products. I think that is even mentioned in the Q&A.

Based on the M8/M8.2 experience I would expect the M9 and any possible point update to be current for perhaps 3 years? That is simply a customer guess, which is all any predictions/opinions here are.

On Quality Control, we certainly do see reports of problems here. Those should not happen and faults need to be fixed and as quickly as possible. It is a mistake to assume that those reports prove systemic issues.

Like thousands of others, my M9 has been fault-free (mine's 11 months old) as was my M8 and every one of my lenses too. I have had the new 35 since July as well and that is simply superb too despite rumours and speculations to the contrary.

Stefan Daniel has previously told us that M body production had been steady at 10,000 to 12,000 units annually. The industry press recently said 14,000 M9 units in the first 9 months. If so they are clearly doing better than expected. Further to that supply is still only just catching up. That's more reasons that no model change would be expected as yet. Very likely their R&D people ARE looking at future developments, but they are certainly entitled to keep those cards close to their chest. In fact I think that it would be detrimental for them to do anything else.

I don't know for certain which M9 accessories you think are lacking, but I could make an educated guess based on your previous posts :D

Originally Posted by BigSplash

The M10 will need to be a significant step as it will I believe need to feature a CMOS full frame sensor, probably offer Liveview, have a 5fps (or more) consecutive shutter speed better than 20 frames buffer memory to just keep up with today's competing products, plus offer Thethering, Flash sync ....and most likely at least focus verification, and arguably HD video.

Personally, I don't want any of them, and I would guess most Leica users won't, either. As I said earlier, and others have said better than I, Leica seems to be doing well, both in terms of products and financial situation. If that makes me a fanboy, so be it.

To return to the original topic (if anyone can remember that far back), it will be interesting to see how both lens supply, and the speed of dealing with QC issues, pan out over the next 12 months.

Peter