Leica/LUF @ P'kina in English

andybarton

Andy,

Thank you very much for your hard work in bringing these notes to us in English.

Are you able to add to the phrase "An a-la-carte program is currently open"?

Do you understand that to mean that such a program is under consideration or currently exists? Was there any mention of what it might cover ? for example, was there any reference to sapphire glass screens, perhaps of the type that were available for the M8u and M8.2?

Thanks

David

David,

according to the conference notes this means that the decision to set up an a-la-carte program has not been made yet - thus can be seen as "under consideration".

I would assume that the introduction of this program depends on demand and expectation to be financially successful.

regards - Klaus

• Like 1

Thanks Klaus.

From what I read of your translation, "a-la-carte" in terms of the M9 currently means that one can have "I love Angela", or something similar engraved on the top plate. And that's as far as it goes.

If hundreds of M9 users asked for something specifically, then Leica might consider it in the future.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My specific question originally was, would Leica improve the corrections for the 1980-1998 pre-ASPH 21 Elmarit, which still shows some red-edge compared to the revisions published for the ASPH wide lenses last spring?

Must I read my answer from between the lines of: "The firmware has reached a stable status, there a no severe bugs anymore. Currently it is worked on partially appearing problems like the “magenta cast” and green edges. Stefan Daniel is sure that this will be resolved with a new firmware."

...or was the more specific question asked and answered, but then lumped into the general question?

And, yes, thanks for the translation and all the other work that went into this....

and the R users keep leaving the fold......

Now that's Leica prioritizing, oh and the DMR repair parts are in short supply - boy that makes me want to find one used.....really cheap.

But all is not lost - there is a special edition M9 in Silver Chrome, and sapphire cover glass for the Neiman Marcus crowd for $17,500.00 and it comes with a personally signed letter from CEO Alfred Schopf!!!! Oh, they include the 35mm Summicron Asph.

I wonder of Alfred will send a letter out to DMR owners if any needed repair parts aren't available.

• Like 1

But all is not lost - there is a special edition M9 in Silver Chrome, and sapphire cover glass for the Neiman Marcus crowd for $17,500.00 and it comes with a personally signed letter from CEO Alfred Schopf!!!!

This is just garbage isn't it?

Leica may be interested in bolstering their finances and milking those with more money than sense may be a way to do it but so too would be meeting the order backlog with product which doesn't immediately need to be returned to Solms for them to complete the job.

I just wish they would come clean and admit there is never likely to be a business case for a new R solution because the money it would cost to develop could always be better used on more mainstream products. The R was never that popular and the last figures I saw showed the M outsold it 4:1.

As for the M, a few gaps in the lens range ("value" 21, 28 and 75mm Summiluxes and that's about it), a few special editions. Is that all they can come up with?

You get a bit tired of it all after a while, don't you?

Guest BigSplash

Andy many thanks for the effort in providing this translation to you and your helpers...much appreciated.

I am surprised that Leica did not give a more positive outlook....it reminded me of the doom and gloom pronouncements from UK Govt ministers in power and the opposition.

I read that:

• They have limited development resources, and cannot raise funding for the new factory site
  • They are going CMOS but dont know with who,
  • They need a mirrorless approach (ie EVIL / Liveview) but dont know when
  • There are holes in the M Lens line up that will be plugged eventually, but no date given or elluded to
  • The S2 that cost 30M€uros to develop is selling well to amtateurs in Asia, not USA and not to professionals as they need a full lens line up
  • The S2 in lens shutter is delayed due to the partner they selected.
  • There appears to be demand for a chrome M but no decision.

I must say that I had hoped for a much more positive set of messages as I really believe that they have a lot that they could say.

• The Leica shops and boutiques are expanding which will give a better client experience, and differentiated support in collaboration with dealers.
  • There is a move towards centralising after sales support and that will give a chance for better turnaround times etc.
  • The QA of the cameras and lenses have been a problem (They appear to not wish to admit that) but they are on top of it (as I am sure they are) and they had an opportunity to say that this specifically is what they have done....and will do! They missed this opportunity
  • The M9 and its lenses continues to sell well and outstrip production capacity. I am surprised that they have not indicated when dealers will be able to sell ex stock the M9 and its lenses.

They are going CMOS but dont know with who

In fairness to Leica that's not what they said. What they said was a CMOS sensor would be needed to support AF and could be used in a future camera. They didn't say that it would be.

Remember this was a question and answer session not a PR announcement, and the replies from Leica were dependant on the questions asked.

• Like 4

............But all is not lost - there is a special edition M9 in Silver Chrome, and sapphire cover glass for the Neiman Marcus crowd for $17,500.00 and it comes with a personally signed letter from CEO Alfred Schopf!!!! Oh, they include the 35mm Summicron Asph..........

I saw this elsewhere, oh dear.

This is just garbage isn't it?

Leica may be interested in bolstering their finances and milking those with more money than sense may be a way to do it but so too would be meeting the order backlog with product which doesn't immediately need to be returned to Solms for them to complete the job.

I just wish they would come clean and admit there is never likely to be a business case for a new R solution because the money it would cost to develop could always be better used on more mainstream products. The R was never that popular and the last figures I saw showed the M outsold it 4:1.

As for the M, a few gaps in the lens range ("value" 21, 28 and 75mm Summiluxes and that's about it), a few special editions. Is that all they can come up with?

You get a bit tired of it all after a while, don't you?

Frankly, I tend to agree. By inclination I would usually be a defender of the faith but I am starting to worry again about where exactly Leica are heading.........expensive special editions and, by their own admission, an S2 that's still not selling well to their professional

target market........hopefully the specials at least will be cash cows, but is that it until after the next photokina?

Frustratingly, there is still no sign of development in the M viewfinder/rangefinder implementation (red LED frame line illumination notwithstanding) when even Fuji are attempting to bring something to the table with their opto-electronic X100 vf.

And devastatingly for R users, still no sign of an 'adequate solution for R lenses', EVIL or otherwise, for quite some time, if at all.

So, good news for PanaLeica aficionados and wealthy amateurs, but for professionals or those looking for innovation in other areas, very little.

Edited by stevelap

"The big media buzz on the Fuji X100 demonstrates the the X1 has set an important trend. The X100 is currently an early prototype for which no clear specifications have been set. Dr. Kaufmann sees the X100 as “a sales promotion” for the X1."

I think Kaufi is living in a dream world:rolleyes:

Jeff

• Like 1

Andy many thanks for the effort in providing this translation to you and your helpers...much appreciated.

No problem

I am surprised that Leica did not give a more positive outlook....it reminded me of the doom and gloom pronouncements from UK Govt ministers in power and the opposition.

These people are realists, not fantasists

I read that:

• They have limited development resources, and cannot raise funding for the new factory site

Perhaps this will help to foster a sense of realism on this forum too. Leica are a small company and they don't have billions of Euro sitting in the bank to invest in Leica-Park or new products

• They are going CMOS but dont know with who,

That is NOT what is written above.

• They need a mirrorless approach (ie EVIL / Liveview) but dont know when

In order to provide the R solution, yes. Not for any other specified reason

• There are holes in the M Lens line up that will be plugged eventually, but no date given or elluded to

Correct. When they are ready, they will tell you. Maybe they will be a bit more circumspect this time, given the problems that they have had with the new 35 Summilux...

• The S2 that cost 30M€uros to develop is selling well to amtateurs in Asia, not USA and not to professionals as they need a full lens line up

It is selling well to amateurs in Europe too and it should be obvious that pros will need a full system. See the answers above as to why this cannot happen all at once.

• The S2 in lens shutter is delayed due to the partner they selected.

They have taken the decision on quality grounds to bring the development in house. This will inevitably lead to a delay in delivery.

• There appears to be demand for a chrome M but no decision.

Correct, although the special edition currently on sale in the US shows that a standard chrome version is probably not far off.

I must say that I had hoped for a much more positive set of messages as I really believe that they have a lot that they could say.

• The Leica shops and boutiques are expanding which will give a better client experience, and differentiated support in collaboration with dealers.
  • There is a move towards centralising after sales support and that will give a chance for better turnaround times etc.
  • The QA of the cameras and lenses have been a problem (They appear to not wish to admit that) but they are on top of it (as I am sure they are) and they had an opportunity to say that this specifically is what they have done....and will do! They missed this opportunity
  • The M9 and its lenses continues to sell well and outstrip production capacity. I am surprised that they have not indicated when dealers will be able to sell ex stock the M9 and its lenses.

M9s in both colours are free stock across the UK and probably Europe. It would be interesting to see what stocks at Dale, for example, are like.

I would say that in the current economic climate that most of us are living in, this is a very positive set of messages.

• They haven't gone bust.
  • They are still investing.
  • Their principle product has sold extremely well and they are working on additional lenses for it, and the premium camera at the top of their line.
  • They have plans for the mid-range point and shoot too, as well as continuing to seel their badge-engineered Panasonic cameras.
  • And, they are consolidating their Customer Services and inventory and delivery functions to give a better experience for new and existing customers.

Edited by andybarton
  • Like 10