How to resize photos for posting on the forum

andybarton

• 2 months later...

Help please...

I've been trying top post photos recently and each time I'm told the file is too large to upload.

I'm exporting from Lightroom, I limit the size to 1280 pixels on the longer side, resolution 96 ppi (I don't know if that's the correct setting, but I think it's what I've always used) and although I'm allowed a maximum of 1,000k per file, I've reduced it to 800 to see whether that helps, but it doesn't.

What am I doing wrong?

Before I start to load it says " You can upload up to 1000KB of files (Max. single file size: 1000KB)"

Once I've tried chosen the file and clicked the upload button, after a ten seconds or so I get a message in red saying "Error: this file was too big to upload."

I've followed the instructions in Andy's video, and until a while ago all was working fine. I haven't posted a photo for a while though, and whether the last time was before the forum change or not, I can't remember, but i have posted many before without difficulty.

​Odd, or am I doing something daft?

Thanks for trying Philipp. It's a shame though, and very frustrating being unable to post any photos. 

I'll try a few tricks over the next few days when I have time and if I get nowhere I'll cry out for help again. Maybe someone else might think of an answer.

Thanks again.

. . . although I'm allowed a maximum of 1,000k per file

Peter, this may not be relevant but, since the forum change, you are allowed a maximum of 1000kb per post not per photo. Is it possible that you have already loaded one photo in the same post? In which case the system might be telling you that there is insufficient space available for another one.

• Like 1

Peter,

I'll send you a mail  - please send me in your reply the file, I'll try that out.

Always found a solution or at least an explanation until now...

Andreas

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Thank you Andreas. Have you sent the email?

Peter, this may not be relevant but, since the forum change, you are allowed a maximum of 1000kb per post not per photo. Is it possible that you have already loaded one photo in the same post? In which case the system might be telling you that there is insufficient space available for another one.

Thanks for this, but no, it was just the one photo each time I tried.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello Andy,

two years since your last post, and a lot happened in the world of monitors, retina displays and internet. Could we have at least 1500 px by 1000 px, at least for LINKED photos, not for photos uploaded on your servers? Thanks! :) Best regards,

Vieri 

Hello Andy,

two years since your last post, and a lot happened in the world of monitors, retina displays and internet. Could we have at least 1500 px by 1000 px, at least for LINKED photos, not for photos uploaded on your servers? Thanks! :) Best regards,

Vieri 

I hesitate to get involved in the discussion, as I'm not a big poster of photos, but as someone who enjoys looking at other people's images, I just want to put a word in to encourage posting directly to the forum rather than linking to external sources. I find LUF is much better than most forums in this respect (in spite of the loss of earlier images when the forum software was updated), where browsing image threads is often defaced by post after post with empty boxes pointing to no longer existent links on Flickr, Smugmug or elsewhere.

Pop's forgotten link referenced above is this one I think:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/243529-leica-forum-faq-frequently-asked-questions/?p=2796992

• jaapv unpinned this topic