Leica Table Top Tripod / Ball Head

hbldds

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I still have the boxes from both. The ball head itself was $25. This is what happens when the government mucks with the money supply.

Since you mentioned it, I checked and found my memory was faulty:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have this pair - and I love it. I find it most useful when traveling - there is usually a wall or something else that acts as a solid base - and I can make long exposures at night or in museums etc. Someone above also pointed out that when it is folded up, it can be oriented as a handle beneath the camera, and still used hand held at eye level. The ball head is also outstanding - it is capable of holding a Linhof Super Technika.

Hello Roy & algrove,

Sorry for the delay.

As I have mentioned before I don't know much about computers & altho many people on the Forum have tried to help I still don't now how to put a picture in the computer. I have no 1 where I am to help me. So I have to write a description instead.

My home made tripod which cost 7 Euros to make is approximately 12 cm hi. The spacing between the softly slippered non-marking feet is approximately 21 cm center to center. The soft non-marking slippers are colored key covers. A nice light blue.

The legs are actually turnbuckles w/ aluminium bodies & steel 1/4 - 20 eyebolts @ either end. The eyebolts are bent @ approximately 45 degree angles above. The bend turning down from the flat. The other ends are left in their original state. The turnbuckles are screwed tightly to the tops where the bends are & are held @ the proper length from the eyes on their bottom sides by 1/4 - 20 nuts against the ends of the turnbuckle centers.

The 3 legs are stacked on each other. A 3/8 - 16 eyebolt which has a total length of about 9 cm passes thru their combined centers. This larger eyebolt has a wingnut inbetween the eye & the 3 steel 1/4 - 20 eyebolts. This larger eyebolt also has 2 steel 3/8 -16 nuts tightened against each other stationary above the 3 leg eyebolts locked in place. The wing nut can be loosened enough to allow the 3 legs to stack when collapsed. When you are using the tripod the wing nut tightens the 3 eyebolts against the 2 stacked locked nuts. These 2 stacked locked nuts are placed so a 4 mm thick 32 mm wide round platform on top of the 3/8 -16 screw going thru it has approximately 8 mm of the 3/8 - 16 screw coming out of it @ the top.

As per Michael Hiles's Post above: A friend of mine borrows this sometimes for his RB67.

This little tripod holds a Leitz medium sized large ballhead.

Sorry for the lack of pictures.

Best Regards,

Michael

Hello Manolo,

Thank you.

I know how to take a picture of the table tripod. What I don't know is much about computers. A number of people here on the Forum have tried to help as well as some others elsewhere. I do not yet have the skills necessary to put a picture in the computer.

Hence the somewhat extended description.

Best Regards,

Michael

I have a few Leitz table tripods lying around, along with a number of the ballheads. The tall one (the only one currently in production) I find too large for my purposes, which is to carry the pod+head easily in a large jacket pocket. It was more necessary back in the days of film, when the M bodies had the tripod bush over at one end, because it allowed flipping the camera vertically in either orientation. With the M8/M9 central bush, I now use either an older medium or small ballhead. The medium has dual female threading in the base, so I can use it as well on my small Gitzo CF travel tripod. The all-chrome small ballheads were much more rigid than the final, black/gunmetal one w/silver top ring. That one doesn't have the grooved ball, and it doesn't hold nearly as tight.

As others have said, the "table" tripod is infrequently set on a table, but more frequently braced against some vertical surface, like a wall, doorjamb, tree, lamppost, etc., or as a chestpod. One of the reasons I actually prefer my 135mm f/4 Elmar to my Tele-Elmar is the former has its own tripod bush, and with the table pod used as a chestpod, I find is more stable.

Edited by bocaburger
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

There is one more use not mentioned here yet; some monopods have the bottom tip with 1/4/20 thread.

You can remove the rubber boot, monopod on the tabletop tripod , stand on the legs to hold it steady in place, use the ballhead on top to hold the camera, and you have nice small tripod for crowded places.

Jan