Leica Table Top Tripod / Ball Head

hbldds

No experience with RRS's head.

The Leica large ball and socket head when combined with the 14100 tabletop tripod makes a good chest-pod. The greater height compared to shorter heads can also make the combo easier to work with when you need a bit of distance between the support and the camera (to get your eye behind the finder, for example).

The mounting ring is sized to fit comfortably without overhang on the M bodies. I've never seen a better-gripping ball joint with so small a diameter, due to the surface texturing.

• Like 1

I asked about the Leica Table Top Tripod several months ago so you might want to search the forum. My recollection was that the comments were mixed--people either loved or hated it. You might want to try it before buying it.

Jack Siegel

The only problem is there is never a table where you need it.

With the tall Leica ball, it makes a great chest pod. You can push it against a wall or door jamb in a pinch. Also good for low to the ground work But the elusive table is gone

I mostly agree with this. I use the tripod rarely for shooting people and when I do I usually hold it against walls. (I have an upcoming project where i will use it extensively, though.) I use it most with the Visoflex, and it's awesome for that purpose--makes the Visoflex very mobile. I have also used it for long exposures to capture "trails" from car lights. In most cases, I can just focus and put the M8 on the ground or hold it to a wall. I've had no luck with using the tripod/ballhead as a chest pod--it just isn't convenient. Others' have used it successfully for this purpose. My main problem with the tripod/ballhead is the slowness it introduces--you have to affix it to the camera, find a spot to put it, fiddle with it to frame, etc. But it is rock-solid, very light, and incredibly well made. It may outlive my M8. :)

Cheers!

Will

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The beauty of the Leica ball head is that you can use it with a monopod to get the specific orientation you need. And with the table top tripod, you can get a precision placement.

If you remember solid geometry and solid analyt, there are three axes, x (horizontal) Y (vertical) and z (transverse). The Leica large ball lets you set the camera exactly where you want to place it on those three axes. Many ball heads restrict movement on one of the axes.

I just came back from a three week trip with only my M6 and Leica tabletop tripod and ball head. It was fantastic in 95% of uses. I made many shots at the museums by bracing it against walls and glass display cases. You can fold it such that the M is attached and the three legs are stowed and you can hold the whole thing like a handle.

Overall, it's one of the best bits of kit I've ever bought.

• Like 1

I went with a large Gorillapod and Manfrotto head. It is very light and adapts to railings, tree limbs etc which is impossible with a normal tripod. It doesn't get used often but is very handy when nothing else will work.

Dave

I went with a large Gorillapod and Manfrotto head. It is very light and adapts to railings, tree limbs etc which is impossible with a normal tripod. It doesn't get used often but is very handy when nothing else will work.

Dave

I have the Gorillapod and the Leica set questioned. Both have their uses. Whereas the G. is very flexible in support choice, I do not trust it as much as the Leica combo. Unless squashed flat, it is inclined to wilt a little with heavier loads, even the heavy duty one. The Leica B&S head is unquestionably the best designed small accessory I have. It is so positive and reassuring in use. I must use it more often!

• 1 year later...

I do use the tripod, but use a small Novoflex Ball 19, so it does not use too much space on the camera bag.

however, I think I will get a Gitzo Traveller next, as the tabletop tripod has very limited use for me.

Hello Everybody,

I use a home-made version of a Leitz table tripod. Esthetically challenged but functionally pretty much the same as a Leitz 14100. Mine has my own version of soft, non-marking, slippered feet which are often either essential or the reason someone allows its use, ie: against a white wall. I use it w/ a medium sized Leitz large ballhead & a cable release. I began using this combination first out of necessity & soon learned: Against my chest it gives me + 2 stops. Against a wall, etc it gives me as many stops as I need. Also: The more I use it the more places I find to use it on/against/under/etc. I pretty much haven't used a full sized tripod in years. Why carry what you don't need.

A vertical composition @ F8 @ 1 second w/ a 135mm Tele-Elmar is a do-able picture pretty much anytime or anyplace. It never slips. A 35mm lens @ F8 @ 1 second can capture a very different image than the same 35 @ F2 @ 1/15th handheld. Think both in terms of image quality & depth of field. No matter how good a person is @ handholding a tripod is often somewhat better.

In many instances bringing along a small solid table tripod w/ a large ballhead & a cable release is more versatile than bringing along another lens or another accessory.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

Hello Everybody,

I use a home-made version of a Leitz table tripod. Esthetically challenged but functionally pretty much the same as a Leitz 14100. Mine has my own version of soft, non-marking, slippered feet which are often either essential or the reason someone allows its use, ie: against a white wall.

Michael

Your tripod sounds intriguing - how about a picture ?