Leica X1 Photos

davidhunternyc

As a new aspiring photographer I have to say it's a let down to come to some online forum hoping to post and get constructive feedback, only to be held to some unknown standard and be given nothing but, what at least comes across as in writing, an arrogant generalized putdown.

Last time I checked, this wasn't a thread for awarded war photographers or likewise. There are other places for that. I'm no pro. I'd like to see better photos posted, sure, and everyone should post only their best, but I'd rather have at least one place I can go to where I can get feedback from other amateurs who know the ins and outs of my specific camera. Instead, all I'm left with, is pause and discouragement for posting again.

I say post your best and we'll sift through the rest.

• Like 2

Guest MartinMann
Generally speaking I don't like photographs that are centered and I understand the dynamism of extending the photo outwards like you did, Martin, but for some reason, I like these crops better.

Thanks David, I like it a lot. Great advice. :)

None of these shots would motivate me to acquire an X1.

Are these the best the camera is capable of?

Actually, none of the photos posted on the web should inspire anyone to get a particular brand of camera. Looking at a photo in a web browser and making a purchase decision would be silly. Read up on the reviews of X1 at various pro sites, discussions on the X1 forum around its shortcomings and go to a Leica dealer to get a feel for it. Then you will get an idea of what this camera is capable of.

If photos on the web are truly a way to measure a camera's worth, then I would like to get the one that Ansel Adams used as its results seem to be pretty good:

www.anseladams.com

• Like 2

True, but I await an answer to my question.

Then you are posting to the wrong thread. We are a bunch of amateurs posting photos here to share. You need to ask this in the main X1 thread. Better yet, take a SD card to a Leica dealer and grab a few shots with the X1. Or, check out the reviews as I mentioned in the previous post. You will get an answer after you do that.

• Like 7

Banal or not, I'm enjoying the camera :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

^^^ I really love the photo of the two guys in their white fedoras. This image is such a stereotype but I don't see too many photos that actually fit the stereotype. B&W is perfect for the theme. I am tired of flower photos, as I've said before, but if I look at flower photos abstractly, with an impressionists eye, these kinds of photos are more palatable.

o5rzf5.jpg

ISO 200 f2.8 1/60

Edited by davidhunternyc
  • Like 3

^^^ Well of course because you said this, I just had to go look at your photos, especially the flower photos. : ) Impressive indeed. What I said about flower photos is strictly from a personal point of view and I would never say that my beliefs are true to any degree for others. As you see, all of my photos on here are flower photos, and compared to yours, are far more commercial and ordinary. These flowers just happen to be across the street from where I live and I am just trying to learn my camera. My preferences are for art which has a darker side, like Picasso's Weeping Women or Francis Bacon's screaming Popes.

Edited by davidhunternyc

Hi All,

I'm new to this site, just found it with a lot of useful leica stuff. I just own the first Leica in my life, X1. And still need to learn and adapt myself to it (quite get used to those hi-speed DSLR, M4/3).

just bring it to my first trip, and only one picture that confirm to me 100% that the camera is superb to me is this....what a dof it show to me :)

A 1/30s f/2.8 ISO1000

L1010075.jpg

you can see more from my MTP

Shin FoTo 's Site - 20100801 จุดแดงพาเที่ยววัดไตรมิตร ชมความเป็นมาของ "เยาวราช"

sorry that I wrote in Thai....Just see the pictures....it's the temple and museum of the old Chinese resident in Thailand, "Yaowaraj"

there still a lot to learn from this tiny beauty camera. Thx.