Nice find! Welcome to the forum.  A local shop has two early M3s', before the frameline selector and I'm having a hard time not bringing one home.

Awe, bring a poor orphan M3 home. Check the serial number. Early M3s were problematic, but nothing that cannot be fixed today.

• Like 1

Awe, bring a poor orphan M3 home. Check the serial number. Early M3s were problematic, but nothing that cannot be fixed today.

The main focus of the shop is repair and they do good work.  They fixed my M2 after it delvoped problems a different technician missed so I know the M3s' have been examined.  If there was a problem it would be corrected under warranty.  That's what is making it hard not to bring one home.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For a long time I sought an M3 in conditions Mint, finally I paid a high price for a camera that is just used, I do not want to a glass case, my camera goes out every day.

My favorite lens is a 90mm Summicron ASPH Pre-E55 Silver, is also new, recently was announced in Vienna Leicashop, I have also paid a high price but I think it's fair, now is mounted on my camera.

s2860_zpskyyf4fsi.jpg

• Like 4

Hello The,

Have you noticed that: While the range/viewfinder of an M3 is very good with a 50mm lens & handles very nicely with a 135mm lens without goggles.

It  may well be the best "M" camera for both.

An M3 is at its very best with a 90mm lens. Especially @ F2. & thereabouts. A really large image with a discreet area surrounding the photo also visible. So that a person can see what is coming or where they are going.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 4

Hello The,

Have you noticed that: While the range/viewfinder of an M3 is very good with a 50mm lens & handles very nicely with a 135mm lens without goggles.

It  may well be the best "M" camera for both.

An M3 is at its very best with a 90mm lens. Especially @ F2. & thereabouts. A really large image with a discreet area surrounding the photo also visible. So that a person can see what is coming or where they are going.

Best Regards,

Michael

Agree that it works great with the 135mm and 90mm. My standard kit these days is 2xM3, one with 50mm (often Summarit 2.5, sometimes Summicron) and the other with 135mm (APO-Telyt). I used to carry a 28mm or 21mm, but I just don't like wide angle anymore  :o

• Like 2

I recently acquired a vgc M3 at a fair price on eBay. Instantly fell in love with the larger viewfinder.

Ran through a roll of XP2 and eagerly anticipated seeing the results.

Bad news over half of the roll of negatives were blank.

On checking the camera the shutter works on just the slower speeds.

So it's now with Red Dot Cameras, London for a CLA.

I suppose with eBay purchases it's a case of caveat emptor but on reflection this is my only bad experience of the many deals I've done over the years.

On the plus side I should soon (3-4 week turnaround quoted) have a super M3 back in my hands.

• Like 1

Hello friends, it is true, the M3 seems to be very comfortable with 90mm, I use it a lot, I have two 50, one 21mm and 90mm, and the lens most use is 90 and 50, especially I like BP 50mm ASPH Pre-E46 Mandler but 5c collapsible f2 is charming, the 21mm is a ASPH lens and I do not like much.

The Leica Monochrom offers me something that no other cameras, but like I have two 50's also have two film cameras, the MP and the M3

The Monochrom usually go with the 21mm.

The Leica M3 is a genius of mechanics and optics that is difficult to match today even by the German brand.

They could do but lasted so many years not sell digital "crap".

Have you seen ?? ... seems to be being recalled many of the works of art of optics, many lenses, want to sell more modern designs that old, so do not make money.

Lately it is observed that from Eastern Europe and China are bought lots of goals there to withdraw them from circulation.

... Or so it seems to me.

Leica's largest shareholder is Chinese ??.

Maybe I'm wrong.

I'm buying all the best designs that I pay and I like, I think that within a few years all the old objectives of Leica probably will not be available to anyone.

It is a market issue.

And I think the same can happen with film cameras Leica.

Greetings.

The film I like.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I recently acquired a vgc M3 at a fair price on eBay. Instantly fell in love with the larger viewfinder.

Ran through a roll of XP2 and eagerly anticipated seeing the results.

Bad news over half of the roll of negatives were blank.

On checking the camera the shutter works on just the slower speeds.

So it's now with Red Dot Cameras, London for a CLA.

I suppose with eBay purchases it's a case of caveat emptor but on reflection this is my only bad experience of the many deals I've done over the years.

On the plus side I should soon (3-4 week turnaround quoted) have a super M3 back in my hands.

My M3 is back from it's CLA at Red Dot Cameras (London) and the turnaround time was quite good.

Posted Tuesday 19 April received back Friday 6 May. Cost was £144.

Couple of images attached showing my M3 with newly acquired Jupiter 8 lens and TAAB focusing tab.

I have also attached a Thumbie grip.

• Like 6

• 5 months later...

I love the M3 as well. Buying one today is a course of compromise: buy original and pay for a CLA or Leica's current clone.

I might be happy with an M7 and .85 finder but the finder LED ... dunno.

Edited by pico

• 2 months later...

This was a restoration project, which I now have completed. Here are two photos.

• Like 4

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...