The Leica Forum uses cookies. Read the privacy statement for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    OK, understood.

Photo
- - - - -

I love my M3

• Please log in to reply
367 replies to this topic

#1 Austinite

Austinite

Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • City / Ort:Texas

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:30

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)
Why not? Everyone else is loving their cameras dammit.:) Actually I have an M6 as well but I still find myself grabbing the M3 first. I like the clean simple viewfinder and the build is just so impressive. All M's are made better than just about any other camera on Earth but the M3 is still king of the hill IMO. A recent addition of an affordable, well made 35mm V/C clip-on viewfinder has made the camera complete for me. (50mm has always been a bit tight for the way I see things.) And.. because I shoot Tr-X rated at 200 the little pocket exposure chart that I printed up and and laminated has me set for the proper exposure faster than messing with the arrows on the M6 or a hand held meter. Am I one of the last folks still shooting with this old classic?

#2 JBA

JBA

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 862 posts
  • City / Ort:Harpswell, Maine

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:05

1. http://www.l-camera-...love-my-m3.html

2. http://www.l-camera-...love-my-m3.html

And this one makes 3 is a charm!

#3 Tor1Amos

Tor1Amos

Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:53

I love mine too. Had the M6 for a while (not satisfied with the finder) and the M8 (but digital gives me the creeps)

Mine is just back after a tlc at reddotcamera. Sad to say the infinity focus is now wrong. When focusing at long distanses (the moon) I find that the split image does not align. The focus on shorter distanses seems accurate. Before the tlc the infinity focus was spot on but it was somewhat off in the closer focus distanses.

Havent looked into it yet, but if Im not mistaken, it should be easy to adjust the long range focus?

#4 Xmas

Xmas

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 18:08

Hi

There were a large number of M3 made.

Noel

#5 NZDavid

NZDavid

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 4,608 posts
  • City / Ort:Christchurch, New Zealand

Posted 08 May 2010 - 00:29

Also, in German, with lots of pics: http://www.l-camera-...e-my-m3-13.html

#6 mmk60

mmk60

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 371 posts
  • City / Ort:Bear, DE, USA

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:06

Here is mine with a new composite leather from camera leather.

Attached Files

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaepfoto/

M3, M6TTL (BP), M8c, CV15, 21Elm, 35Lux, 50Lux, 50Rigid and 75Summarit, + Modified Polaroid 110A (4x5) ....

#7 LChanyungco

LChanyungco

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • City / Ort:Berlin

Posted 14 May 2010 - 15:41

my favorite camera'

Posted Image
  • Rolo, kivis, Kyler. and 4 others said thank you

#8 Guest_cweg_*

Guest_cweg_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2010 - 16:55

Welcome LChanyungco, a very nice combination. How do you like the Voigtländer Lightmeter?

You are all welcome to post your Pics and Comments in this thread:

I love my M3

It's in the german Part of the Forum but there's no problem if you post in english. Most of german Users are able to read english and your pictures are international anyway.

:)

#9 LChanyungco

LChanyungco

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • City / Ort:Berlin

Posted 14 May 2010 - 20:59

thanks cweg :) i'll do that.

Welcome LChanyungco, a very nice combination. How do you like the Voigtländer Lightmeter?

You are all welcome to post your Pics and Comments in this thread:

I love my M3

It's in the german Part of the Forum but there's no problem if you post in english. Most of german Users are able to read english and your pictures are international anyway.

:)

www.chanyungco.com

flickr

#10 hendriphile

hendriphile

Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 21:04

“The other issue with cards has always occurred because of a weak battery . Situations that can put a load on the battery would be (1)continuous shooting (2)cold weather or (3)leaving the camera on during a long shoot…”

“M9 is very choosy when it comes to the brands of SDHC cards…”

“Do check the Firmware version of the camera if it's the latest!”

“My screen cracked with just a little bump… and it was in the case!”

---- Quotes from recent threads round about

Sometimes I’ve lusted after the M9. But when I read posts like these….!

I mean, reliable operation under adverse conditions (cold, unavailability of stores selling exotic batteries or computer memory cards, etc.), ruggedness … these have always been the forte of the Leica M as we’ve known it. I’m sticking with my M3 as long as there’s film for it!

#11 Frank Sprow

Frank Sprow

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • City / Ort:Dallas, Texas

Posted 13 June 2010 - 00:36

I do too (an early double stroke, and my M7 -- and my M9 which, just as its older brother M8.2 was -- has been totally trouble free and after use in Afghanistan, Iraq and Indonesia produces beautiful images.
FRANK

#12 gilpen123

gilpen123

Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • City / Ort:Manila, Philippines

Posted 13 June 2010 - 15:01

I just had mine CLAd just to make sure it will be in tip top condition. I will never ever dispose this camera. I had an M2 still have 2xM6 and to me the M3 is the smoothest of all and the 50 VF for 50/90 is so so good.

[IMG][img]http://gilpen.smugmug.com/Photography/gilpen-123/P1010224/702027758_vYJLB-L.jpg[/img][/IMG]
  • kivis likes this
Gil

#13 Emref

Emref

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • City / Ort:Buenos Aires, Argentina

Posted 09 July 2010 - 22:03

I got an M3 a few days ago, now I'm shooting my first roll, I'm surprised of how smooth and quitest it is! and I thought that my IIIf was the quitest camera you can have!!!!

M3 1956 with Summicron DR 50 F2

Posted Image

Emref

#14 Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 23:17

I love my M3 as well. Along with my 35 1.4 Summilux. It was my first Leica. It's amazing to use such precision instrument.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Leica M3 with 35 1.4 Summilux and XP2

Gregory
  • kivis likes this

#15 sulskyr

sulskyr

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:07

Not at all. I still use my father's camera (a dealer's model--his name was inscribed on the back by Leitz to prevent resale) that he bought in 1963. I have had it refurbished once (in 1992) and it still works like a charm. I prefer its viewfinder to my M-7 (0.85x)--it seems brighter and, somehow, more robust. Over the years, I have bought and sold other Leicas, but I have no desire to part with the M3.
  • animefx likes this

#16 al-fresco

al-fresco

Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • City / Ort:Shropshire

Posted 10 July 2010 - 15:23

We're the same age :)

Attached Files

• Attached File  m3.jpg   200.83KB   3784 downloads

• leicaoptik, Rolo, kivis and 1 other said thank you
Allan W

"Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it." Tom Lehrer

http://www.flickr.co...tos/the-bunker/

#17 Chiefey

Chiefey

Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • City / Ort:Redneck Riviera

Posted 10 July 2010 - 17:13

I love my M3 too. But I love my M5 more!:D

#18 Michael Geschlecht

Michael Geschlecht

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 16:38

Hello Everybody,

Sometimes people forget one of the primary reasons for making and/or having an M-3: Tele-Elmar.

Unbelievably good lens, really large, really good image in the viewfinder and lots of space outside of the 135 frame to see what's there.

People sometimes forget, the longer the lens, the more space you need outside the appropriate frame to see what is coming, going, etc.

Best Regards,

Michael

#19 radfilm

radfilm

Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • City / Ort:Los Angeles,CA

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:07

I shoot my M3 all the time.. Mostly B&W film but I just shot my first color roll. It is my favorite of all my cameras which I have many. Oh yeah a new D-lux 4 is cool too..

#20 Sixstring

Sixstring

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 21:59

Hi Austinite. No, you're not alone! I love my M3 as well, more than any other 35mm camera I have ever owned. For me, the M3 is the best rangefinder Leica has EVER made, film or digital. Point! Not open for discussion on that topic. The M3 is also the summit of compact 35 mm film photography, no one else has nor will ever dethrone this piece of art. I also shoot without light meter. Light meters just get in your way. They tell you what you already know or what you are about to know with a little experience.
I hope we'll be able to keep on buying film in the future, that is my only worry. But I have good hope, one can still buy 8mm film (super 8) today, that says a lot... Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic