Name this car....

OK, you guys need the whole car?

Mercedes we know. Now the model, coach builder and year please!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry, not a 320* and not a Wendler.

* I do remember a fully restored 320 Cabriolet, lovely car except I felt a bit claustrophobic behind the steering wheel when the top was closed and it rained. The frontscreen was like an observation slit of a tank but in my eyes the 320 A Cabriolet has the nicest look of that Benz era. Not a big "Führerwagen" like the 500 series trucks.

Thanks very much. It appears bigger than a "230" would suggest. Also, coachbuilt models on Mercedes chassis also seem to be rarer than for (say) Rolls Royce at that time.

Rolls Royce did not offer bodies on their cars until after the war. They were I believe considering it for the Silver Wraith (1938 onwards), the successor to the 25/30 but WW2 got in the way. After the war, steel was in very short supply for car bodies in the UK, to the extent you had to go on a waiting list for a permit to be allowed to acquire a new steel bodied car. My father put in for a permit in late 1945, as by then his 1938 Vauxhall was in a poor state, having been used to tow the town fire pump trailer all through WW2, as a delivery truck for his factory products and as troop transport for both home guard and reservists. While he was waiting for his Mark V Jaguar, he bought an AC Buckland 2 Litre saloon, which as it was alloy bodied, (there was a surplus of aluminium alloy from scrapped aircraft) could be bought without a permit. Rolls Royce was encouraged to export most of their post war Silver Wraith production as rolling chassis, again to save steel. It was not until the Silver Dawn of 1949, that RR finally produced their own bodies for the Dawn, the successor to the Wraith. 

Wilson

Thanks very much. It appears bigger than a "230" would suggest. Also, coachbuilt models on Mercedes chassis also seem to be rarer than for (say) Rolls Royce at that time.

Thanks to Graber who used a lot of design elements of his "grand french vehicles". OK, this car is rare, really rare. Unique hit´s the nail. Todays condition not as good as described. Typically 1980s restauration I´d say. Damages from just parking, mechanically and body. Needs a loving and careful owner with some play money. Not sure if it would need a complete new restauration. Can remain in it´s current condition as well. Just mechincal overhaul. Not sure if it has found a new owner since I saw it beginning this year. Doubt it has sold in 2014 at the Bonhams auction (could be checked).

Any idea, which car this is ?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!