Name this car....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

well Wilson, good enough I think. It's a 1933 Lagonda 3l Tourer ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

(sorry for not having a bette rpicture ...)

I recognised the radiator, as one of my mother in law's customers used to arrive in one. I also used to have an M45, BGF662, that is now in the Brooklands museum. Lovely cars to drive but the 4.5L Meadows engine is very difficult to get right after it has gone wrong and have a tendency to blow head gaskets. Mine had the lower part of the block's water passages choked with silt and rust unknown to me, so that it blew its head gasket twice then the cylinder bores overheated and it seized. It was then very badly (but expensively) rebuilt by so-called Lagonda experts, before it went to a new owner in Hong Kong. Hong Kong Aircraft Engineers (HAECO), then rebuilt the engine again beautifully, by re-linering the bores to prevent water loss into the sump, through micro-cracks in the bore walls, probably caused when it seized. I drove it later in Singapore, before it came back to yet another owner in the UK and it was lovely to drive. These Lagondas probably have the nicest of any non-synchromesh pre-war gearboxes. The gears are Citroen pattern herring bone teeth in constant mesh, with dog clutch engagement. 

I will look for another car tomorrow. 

Wilson

• Like 3

Here is your next one. Marque and model plus approximate year please. 

Wilson

Uli has it correct a BMW 507. Sold in tiny numbers (just 252 cars in total) compared to the competitors, Jaguar XK140/150 and Mercedes Gullwing 300SL. It was close to double the price of the faster Jaguar and virtually the same price as the Mercedes. Given that it has close to 100HP less than the Mercedes, it was just too slow to compete and just not as sexy. They are a nightmare to restore, as the aluminium body panels are non-standard, individually fitted when new, not properly inerted and they corrode badly, especially where they meet steel inner panels and the floor. Quite a few ones out there have been very badly restored. The series one cars have very limited space inside and in the boot plus they always stink of petrol inside, even worse than an old Jaguar. The series two cars are a bit better. Only the late series two cars have discs. The Alfin drums get little cooling on the steel disc wheel cars and are even nastier than 300SL drum brakes, tending to come on one at a time at higher speeds. 

I have a friend who loves 507s and has been trying to get more power from the engine for some years. First with lots of carburettors, gas flowing, high lift long duration cams and higher compression = bang (failed crankshaft). Secondly with a lobe type supercharger, this time with a Farndon crank and Carillo steel rods = bang (cracked block and main bearing carriers). The last time I spoke to him, he was talking to Crossthwaite and Gardner about casting a stronger, bigger bore block. 

Wilson

In the early 2000s I was parking my Z3 side by side to a 507 in France when the proud owner arrived while I took a snapshot of both cars together. He tried to make a joke and asked me if we should change the keys. My reply: "NO WAY, your car is a nightmare in every respect, just transfer the price difference to my account and I´m fine." He was a bit upset and asked "What would you do with the money?" I said: "Maybe I´ll find a nice 328 Roadster!"

I do own a nice original 507 brochure and that´s all I ever need regarding 507s.

• Like 1

Hi

I thought all 507 had Dunlop disk brakes in the front. As to the restoration process, my guess is that all low volume aluminum bodied cars from the 50ies are a nightmare and expensive to restore.

BMW did develop an engine with 220 Hp for the 507, but never got further than testing stages. It had overhead cams and 4 carburettors.  John Surtees 507 supposedly had 220 hp, but i don't remember if it was a standard tuned engine or the prototype version.

The block of the later Bertone is much stronger than the previous versions, so if you want to tune I'd start with that or just  drop a chevy small block in it (as has been done by some american enthousiasts)

I am fairly sure only the later series two 507s had discs and then they were by Girling. Now some folks may well have changed the front drums by making up a new upright and the most commonly available discs in the 1950's were Dunlop. Sadly Dunlop brakes tend not to work very well, as the original system was derived from aircraft brakes, which were fully powered and not from either foot pressure or servo'ed foot pressure. The early race car applications, like the C and D type Jaguars, use a continuously pressured system driven from a pump at the back of the gearbox, rather like the brakes on Citroen hydropneumatic cars. I have a feeling they moved the brake pump to the engine in later D Types. You have to be very careful when moving a disc braked C Type that has sat for some time, as it will have no pressure in the braking system and until it builds up in the reservoir, no brakes. 

Wilson

• Like 1

All series 507 usually had drum brakes all around. With the 3,2 ltr. "Super" Limousine at the IAA 1959 they introduced front disc brakes as standard brakes. Rumors say you could order a 507 with discs since 1958, but I doubt that.

In my archive I could find addendum #5 to the 507 type approval (ABE #1865) dated on the 08th of August 1959 (testdriven with the prototype # 70.003 on the 6th of June 1959). That addendum #5 permits disc brakes on the front axle.

Problem: All except just 4 cars of the 507 had already been build prior to that permit date, so only the final 4 (official) cars could be ordered "new" with front disc brakes by their first owners. Some unsold 507 which had been built before 8th August 1959 and were still in the ownership of BMW could have also been ordered with front disc brakes, but needed a works conversion. Not sure if this has ever happened - theoretically possible. It is unknown how many of the final four 507 and the "some" prior to 08th August built cars had been (re-)equipped with front discs at BMW.

Since 1960 502 6cyl. Limousine owners could also order optional front discs under extra charge.

I will not bore you with tons of data according to the different works tunings on the engine and gear box side. Just one note according the aerodynamics which were a bit poor for such a car. During "real life" Autobahn tests with the 507 prototypes and the prototype forerunner "528" they found the "528" faster, although the windchannel models of the 507 were better. At the smaller scale models in the windchannel, they did not simulate the verhicles underside. In real life the first 507s showed a pretty rough underside, so they fixed cover plates under the 507 and it became significantly better. At least the early press cars were optimized, also with a tuned 165 hp engine.

Wilson, too bad John Surtees has passed away just a couple of days ago, otherwise you could have asked him directly about the rumored (all around) disc brakes he has possibly developed with Dunlop as aftermarket conversion (front discs for others, all around for Surtees). He still owned his 507 until he passed away, if i recall right.

Ronald, 

A friend of mine many years ago had a BMW 3200 CS from the early 1960's, which he bought with a blown 3.2L V8 engine for around £200, thinking he would easily find a replacement out of a 502 saloon but pre-internet this proved to be very difficult/impossible in the UK. In the end we transplanted a Daimler Majestic Major 4.5L all alloy V8 engine into the CS, with a flywheel, clutch and the four speed all synchro manual box from a 420 Jaguar. I milled the adapter plate for the gearbox/bell housing/block for him, after getting someone I knew at Jaguar Browns Lane development department to get me copies of the drawings for the Majestic Major's block and the Jaguar bell housing. The Daimler engine weighed little more than the BMW. With 4 x 42 DCNF Webers, Piper camshaft and steel main bearing caps to cure that engine's weakness for cracking the five original caps, he was getting around 250 HP at the back wheels, so it was quick. I wonder what happened to that car, as of course like all hybrids, it would have had very little value. 

Wilson

Wilson,

sounds good. If it still exists, it should be used as a "driver".

We had two 3200 Bertones in the neighborhood. A convertible among them, which I think was "opened" later because the only original 3200 CS Cabrio was the Quandt car.

I like the 503 coupe/convertible and also the 3200 CS and the 2000 "Schlitzaugen"-Coupé. Rare cars, not easy to restore.

Uli has it correct a BMW 507. 

Upps - sorry for being late, missed it. (I was rather sure that I was wrong with the 507).

New car.

Brand and type - or if you like: the man who applied the paint: