Name this car....

The original company is still in existence as part of a large military equipment maker but not making cars since the mid 1960's. From the picture, Stuart's one could actually be one of a number different cars of this marque, which used a similar chassis and bodywork but different sizes and specifications (4 and 7 bearing) of 4 and 6 cylinder engines. Some cars of this marque are now being made again by a similarly named company as "continuation" cars. 

Wilson

I want to say Allard J2X, but I don't recall the staggered windscreens on the Allard. This Alvis 12-70 from 1940 looks close:

https://classiccartrust.com/2014/10/bonhams-preserving-automobile-simeone-museum/bonhams-1940-alvis-12-70-special-chassis-no-15884-engine-no-11614-19-8/

Stuart,

If it is the car I am thinking of, it was rebuilt by the same company, who have just made my brother a Bentley 3-8 Special Racer 2 seater with a 6½ litre B81straight eight engine on a Mk.VI Bentley chassis. 

Wilson

Wilson -  I'd love to see a photo of that Bentley.

All - Since we know it's a Alvis, let's see if these photos help:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Stuart,

I think it is a three litre special Alvis with a TA20/21 engine in a TA14 chassis (the post war version of the 12/70). There are all sorts of similar looking cars built from 1936 onwards, often on a 12/70 or Crested Eagle chassis, then using either a supercharged 12/70 4 cylinder engine, a 2.5, 2.8, 3.5 or 4.3L 6 cylinder engine with either 4 or 7 bearings from the speed 20, 25 or the 4.3L. I think this one may have been built by Racing Green Ltd.

This is a pic of my brother's 3-8 Racer Bentley built by Racing Green and now in South Africa. It has been repainted Bentley Green from the horrible turquoise. I suggested that if he put a dry sump on it, it would make a great off roader, with over a foot of ground clearance :). The heat guard does not actually hide a silencer. It is straight through pipes, so ear plugs are essential. 

Wilson

• Like 2

Here is your next one. Make, model, and body style please. 

Wilson

Although the car is not French, the name of its type of bodywork is. Here is another photo. I think it is very easy now but then I know what it is  :) I have blanked the number plate to block the Googlers. 

Wilson

Is this a Rolls Royce? The bit of grill we see suggests...

Yes a Rolls Royce from 1930. From previous crops, you should now get the body style and model. We were amazed how well it kept up over pretty awful and sometimes very steep roads in Myanmar. All credit to Dominique, its driver. 

Wilson