Name this car....

TT Frazer Nash c.1935

dunk

Correct Dunk. I did not see under the bonnet of this car but it sounded like a six and quite a powerful one too. I would guess that while originally a Blackburne DOHC 6 1600 engined car, like a number of others this may have changed to a BMW/Frazer Nash/Bristol engine at some later late. I would think that with a Bristol engine, these would be a right handful. 

Your turn again. 

Wilson

PS Should explain for those not familiar with them that they have a number of different chain drives to a narrow solid (no diff) rear axle. A dog clutch arrangement then selects between which chain drive is engaged. They sound a bit like a combine harvester. See illustration from an old book I have about the history of sports cars. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 2

Wilson, That required some thought and research - but an interesting exercise and the 'oversteer' clue helped. 

Thanks for the chain drive pics. 

Here's the next mystery car spotted in a museum … shouldn't be too difficult but the maker's name/logo has been erased:

… marque and model please. 

Best wishes

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

No connection with Rootes models or Guy; Guy was taken over by Jaguar and thence became part of British Leyland.   

The marque ceased production completely many years ago but still has a thriving owners' club. 

Ref 'commercial' which used the engine … not a large vehicle … more a van and pickup truck.

The engine in its various guises was in production for approx. 48 years. 

But other models of the marque used different / larger engines and had notable motor sport successes.

dunk

One of my earliest memories is one of these commercials coming down to Lossiemouth beach in the early 1950's, as the Rizzla's Italian ice cream van. He used to leave the noisy engine running to keep the fridge cold. He didn't need the usual Greensleeves chimes, as I don't think there was any silencer and you could hear him coming from the other end of town. 

Yes there were lots of 'ice cream van' versions of the commercial van model. The mystery car's engine was a veritable work horse - but the car's chassis/bodywork bore no relation to the l940s/50s van - the only similarity was the subsequently enlarged engine. 

I cannot figure out if the mystery car has a driver's door - or if the driver was expected to slide over via the the car's nearside passenger door - or maybe just climbed in. Other pictures of the model have an opening driver's door and no spare wheel. 

The mystery car is well maintained and used regularly … and features in a series of children's books. 

dunk

Another view of the car:

Another clue … the van mentioned, which has an engine derived/developed from that of the the mystery car, was named after its city of manufacture … but the car (made in the same city) wasn't.

dunk 

The marque offered 21 different models during its 48 year manufacturing history and once won the 'Classic Car Of The Year' award. Last May, a 1929 'long' variant of the mystery model was driven from Cambridge, England to Marseille and back, cruising at 32mph. The 86 year old car was accompanied by an 89 year old sibling for part of the journey. In Paris on the return journey, the distributor gears stripped - which was a good excuse to savour two additional days of French hospitality whilst waiting for spares to arrive. 

The1600 miles round trip, probably at 30 mph or less average speed, was quite an achievement.

When attending classic car meetings I'm always impressed by the later sports car models because they look very well made. Engine access on the later models is superb because the whole of the front end cantilevers up. 

dunk

Dunk, 

It is not surprising that the sports car was good, when you think it was designed by the equivalent of Adrian Newey. An earlier sports car was I think the only one by any manufacturer named after a mustelid. We can't give them any more clues  :)

Wilson

Jowett Type C from 1926

Well done.

Photographed at the Shuttleworth Collection, Old Warden where apart from the vintage aircraft there is an interesting selection of cars and motorcycles. 

Your turn.

Best wishes

dunk