Name this car....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wilson -

Correct, and 1955 Chevrolet.  Basically a pickup truck with a specialized refrigerator box.  Note the brightwork on the hood--It strongly suggests similar brightwork on the 1957 Chevy Bel Aire.  The couple who own this truck own several more (this is the oldest) and rent them for parties.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Here is your next one. Your first guess may be wrong  :)

Wilson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

i'll have a guess: De Dion?

Similar sort of quality of car and double barrelled name but not De Dion. It had a unique feature as standard for a car of the period, that must have been very welcome for drivers. You can see the evidence of it on my crop. 

Wilson

I can see that I am going to have to tell you this one. Is my imagination or do there seem to be far fewer participants since the forum was revamped? The car is a 1910 Clément - Bayard 10/12HP built in the outskirts of Paris, France. In the photo below, there are a pair of them, the one behind is a little older, I think 1907. The unique standard feature on the 1910 model was a built in heater for the driver. You can see the filler cap for it behind the radiator filler cap. Even Rolls Royces of the period did not have this as standard. Clément - Bayard also made airships, aero engines and aeroplanes, for example Alberto Santos-Dumont's Demoiselle, which became the world's first production aeroplane (Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines featured one of them). The company was wrecked by WW1, as I understand unlike many French industrialists, Clément - Bayard refused to profiteer from the war. The remains of the company were bought by André Citroen in 1922. These are kept at the same local vineyard where I drove the Citroen Kegresse B19 half track.

Anyone else want to have a go?

Wilson

• Like 2

Oh, okay, unaccustomed as I am, I'll step in with this one…might be too easy for Wilson, tho...

Thanks Sam … I once owned a 'modern' 1850 Dolomite thus familiar with its ancestor :) 

Photo of the next puzzler will be posted later this evening … just arrived home after visiting a classic vehicle show. Can we post commercial vehicle pics or are we limited to cars?

Cheers

dunk 

My father had a 1500cc Dolomite roadster in the late 1930's but from memory of family photo albums, it had a flat fronted exposed radiator rather than the wonderful art deco grille one. He used to say it looked very fast but its performance was pretty pedestrian. He sold it when he got married in 1940 and went sensible with a large Vauxhall saloon. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

Little later than promised but here's the next puzzler. 

Clue: VW was not happy with this design … but it isn't a VW 

I went to a classic vehicle show yesterday in Kettering but this was not an exhibit … it was spotted in the queue leaving the venue where I snapped a few pics with my R9/DMR/21-35R 

Good luck

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

You're correct Wilson … A  Volvo P1800E … The marque has an interesting production history: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_P1800

Spotted at the Kettering 'Wicksteed at War' military vehicle /re-enactment show 15 June … in the queue leaving Wicksteed Park after the show'

1971 vintage thus 44 years young! 

Best wishes

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

I bet Volvo wished that Karmann had agreed to make the P1800, so they did not end up at Jensen Motors. I visited Jensen in West Bromwich around 1970, to try and sell them our guarantee management system. It was a ghastly, dingy, filthy dirty dump and amazingly small, when you think of all the cars that came out of it apart from Jensens. The big Austin Healeys, P1800's, Sunbeam Tigers plus a whole lot of sub contract work for all sorts of makers. Alan Jensen, as he lived in Brighton, used to come occasionally to what used to be my local pub, the Anchor Inn at Barcombe, when it was run by a retired rubber planter/RAF Wing Commander/racing driver called Derek Bovet-White. When I told Alan that I had gone to visit West Bromwich to try and sell them a guarantee management system (this was after he had sold the company), he nearly fell off his bar stool laughing. 

Here is your next one, which should have you scratching your heads a bit. 

Wilson

• Like 1