A hand with VueScan please?

Julian Thompson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can anyone give me an idea of how to get a proper raw scan from Vuescan? I have it set to transparancy mode and have set my film info and everything, but I only seem to be getting outputs that are like the negatives themselves blown up rather than what you would normally expect.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you open the tiff or the dng file in your raw converter? I use the dng file and it works quite well (although it gives most of the time very "clean" looks, no sign of grain at all).

I use the setting for color negative film and generic in the color section.

Thanks - 2 questions:

1) How do you save a DNG with it? mine only seems to output the tiff?

2) When I say it looks like a negative that's what I mean in a literal sense - imagine holding a 35mm negative up to the light and literally that's what I'm getting from the scan but in a very big size.

You set it to save tiff & dng file below the part where you tell it where you want the files to be saved.

The negative part is either the jpg or the tiff file. You could try to invert it to a positive, but I think that's not the "correct" way to do it.

But - beware - I'm no expert with Vuescan!

If you scan a negative with any software set to "transparency mode" you will get a direct scan of the negative. Therefore, it will look like a negative.

Set VueScan to either colour or black and white negative, in the first tab, and it will invert the scan for you.

In the screenshot below, you can see that with the "Tiff DNG" button checked, the auto save field has @.dng as the default extension. This will save the scan as a RAW file.

Lots depends upon which scanner you are using too. I believe that some scanners cannot output as RAW files.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by andybarton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As Andy said. I have the V750 Pro and you can get RAW scans setting the following:

I only use it for MF - I have a Coolscan for 35mm. Make sure the neg holders are closed properly. It is a shame that such a good scanner comes with such flimsy neg holders! :confused:

Thanks guys - still no result but I have indeed now set it to DNG - this is what I'm getting:

OK I think I have the solution - the 'raw save file' checkbox must be ticked and then it inverts and allows other stuff such as dust removal etc BEFORE it saves the raw file. Cool.

OK I think I have the solution - the 'raw save file' checkbox must be ticked and then it inverts and allows other stuff such as dust removal etc BEFORE it saves the raw file. Cool.

thanks julian, i was having the same trouble with vuescan. i find scanning with vuescan, the files are significantly smoother than the epson software. another i problem i'm having is the colour balances are totally off. there are casts of different colours which i'm having trouble correcting.

Guest maddoc2003jp

I save my scans using Vuescan double, one is a "JPG" and pixel-reduction by a factor of four, second is as RAW but in TIFF version. When I scan a BW negative, I set input to color-negative and 16Bit gray, so my RAW file is a 16Bit gray TIF file with no curves or so applied. (Only the option "sharpen" will be saved with RAW files). I can open that TIF file in PS Elements and easily invert the tones to get a positive.

In fact a quick look at the 'DNG' output from VueScan shows absolutely identical file sizes to the TIFF output.

This leads me to think that infact the DNG file isn't a raw file in the sense of a Leica M9 style raw file with sensor information and such. Instead I think it is a TIFF with a DNG wrapper around it - in which case I reckon saving as a TIFF will be fine.

The thing with Aperture seems to be that any file bigger than 100Mb it does not want to allow you to use the retouch brush without having a complete freeze up and general paddy.

i'm still getting the scanned image in negative as julian mentioned earlier in the thread. if i just open the scanned file and invert in photoshop, then do the processing in lightroom, would that diminish at 'quality' of the tiff file? i find vuescan better, but very difficult to work with the options. terrible interface. i've only used it a couple of times, i think a bit more time on it will make things easier.