Panasonic still using Leica lens

pierovitch

Does Leica actually assist in the design of these lenses, or does Panasonic merely have the right to use the Leica name on some of their optics? I've noticed that some, but not all, of Panasonic's cameras claim "Leica" glass.

This has been raised before IIRC, i.e. designed by Leica but made by Panasonic, subjected to Quality Control by Leica personnel on site.

Rob is right. At the beginning of the partnership, Leica had a little more hands-on involvement training Panny people in Leica's approach to designing lenses, but for the most part the "Leica" name on a Panny lens today just means Leica reviewed Panny's design (not every lens off the line) and said "good enough."

Leica is not in favor of in-camera corrections for distortion and color fringes, for example. They want "Leica" lenses to correct for those in the first place. Which is why most of the micro 4/3rds lenses so far just say "Lumix" - Panny preferred designs that were smaller, quite good in most respects, but less "perfect" in areas that can be corrected for with math in the camera.

... Should imagine [Panasonic's] QC is a little bit more advanced than Leicas.

Rob--

:confused:

I agree with your post in general, but how do you assess Panasonic's quality control as being ahead of Leica's?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

OH, I made a new post about this just by happenstance, because I've always favored Panasonic Leica lens Digital point and shoot cameras.

I can tell you one thing..I have a very early metal body "Leica" panasonic with a very small LCD> This one takes astonishing "Liecas-esque" pictures, so I belive there must have been some early production extra "mojo" to the associatian?

OH, I made a new post about this just by happenstance, because I've always favored Panasonic Leica lens Digital point and shoot cameras.

I can tell you one thing..I have a very early metal body "Leica" panasonic with a very small LCD> This one takes astonishing "Liecas-esque" pictures, so I belive there must have been some early production extra "mojo" to the associatian?

My D-LUX (it was the first, and was just called D-LUX, not D-LUX 1) is a beautiful, tiny camera that has produced some astounding images for me. It was, I believe, the first Panasonic rebadged as a Leica. In this case, the body was entirely redesigned by Leica, and it's a masterpiece of industrial design.

My D-LUX (it was the first, and was just called D-LUX, not D-LUX 1) is a beautiful, tiny camera that has produced some astounding images for me. It was, I believe, the first Panasonic rebadged as a Leica. In this case, the body was entirely redesigned by Leica, and it's a masterpiece of industrial design.

I have also that very fine camera: the D-Lux (mother of all the D-Lux line cams) is IMHO the most prettiest camera I have ever seen! When you compare it to her "Panasonic-twin" (in most technical aspects they are same) which was the Lumix DMC-F1, it is completely different. That D-Lux is an excellent example for excellent design! Until today it is a very good compact camera (at ISO 80 and 100). And very rare to get (and the batteries are running out of production!)

From its shape it seems to me that the X-1 may have DNA from the D-Lux. Does anyone else agree?

Pete.

Yes, but I think that effect comes from the typical puristic Leica design. Normally you won´t find it when you see a "Panaleica" like the C-Lux. Some step into the real Leica design is the shape of the D-Lux 2,3,4. But not complete, because the orientation to the original Panasonic design is still a bit strong. Only the D-Lux (1st model) has the real Leica-style I think, because the housing was completely new designed by Leica. Compared to the Panasonic version, the D-Lux (1st model) does really not look like a sister, it looks like a completely different nobel-camera. I miss that "new designing" at D-Lux 3 or 4. When these are side by side with their Panasonic versions, one can see it is nearly the same camera.

But the new X1 comes from Solms, there is no Panasonic "sister", so the designer had the chance to create a "true Leica design". For me, that brandnew camera is an hommage to the "Ur-Leica", when you see pics of that.

That shows: a good design is really timeless!

(Following pics found by google search, original pics at colorfoto.de (left) and overgaard.dk (right) only as examples)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!