Horrible battery drainage on M9

Nathan127

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On overall battery performance in the M9: It uses power faster than the M8, for sure. Two processors, and bigger files to write. About 75-80% as many shots for me, on average. The scale is also very non-linear - I get 200 shots out of the first 75%, and about 20 shots out of the last 25% before the camera says "Enough!" and shuts down.

On the OFF/S/C switch. In-between settings are to be avoided and checked for. The two times I had M8 "temporary sudden death" incidents that required pulling the battery to reboot, it was after I'd found that the switch had slipped to between OFF and S.

I've shot a good 12,000 frames with my M9 since receiving it back in late October and I've had the same experience you are talking about, Andy. The last 25% of the battery life is gone within 20-30 shots. Are you shooting compressed or non-compressed DNGs?

I expect we'll see an updated camera at Photokina in 9 months.

That is possible, but the changes would be minimal. Something you can add to the current model as an upgrade.

The M digital cameras need a rethinking. Better components (LCD display, processor), better interface (menus' design, buttons at the back, power switch), better viewfinder/rangefinder (more focus precision, because digital seems to be more demanding), and better power consumption overall. Some of these changes will come from the S2, but others don't. Photokina may be too early for all that.

And yet with my OEM and Third Party batteries I'm getting about 250 .dng shots in very cold weather, a very linear discharge (sounds painful) according to the meter, and more than 30 shots left at 25%. But there doesn't seem to be much consistency in any of the posts so something fishy is going on.

Steve

Don't forget to condition a battery now and then with a full charge, followed by discharge to camera shutting off (auto power-off must be off for this) then a full recharge. It's the only way to get the best from your batteries.

Chris

True, but doesn't it do something for the chip in the battery that tells the camera about its condition? That was my understanding.

Chris

Third party batteries need to be fully discharged and then recharged to get the camera meter to recognise they are full. Its because they don't have the OEM chip. But third party batteries are so cheap it doesn't really matter much because they still seem to have a 'long enough' life even with this abuse.

Steve