So Where Does the OKARO or ORAKO Go?

lagrassa

You will get both answers!!!

For my part, I have always used it on the rangefinder window, thereby turning the coincident image orange, which I find works best. The alternative is to put it on the viewfinder window, thereby turning the whole view orange.

I believe that the "correct" fitment is the latter, but it makes no sense to me. The only drawback is that on the rangefinder window some lenses with infinity locks (5cm and 3.5cm Elmar for example) will foul on it when you try to mount or remove them. There are two ways around this - firstly, rack the lens out to minimum focussing distance before mounting/dismounting., This provides enough clearance. Secondly just remove the OKARO/ORAKO when mounting lenses ;)

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Bill

Advertisement (gone after registration)

. The alternative is to put it on the viewfinder window, thereby turning the whole view orange.

Bill, you cannot put it on the viewfinder, because its shape and next the range finder is the one on the left from the viewfinder for the user side. Kisselbach is showing what you see in it :

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jc_braconi

Some times right, some times left. ;)

It depends on the lens used.

I usually put the OKARO on the center window (right), but if I use the Elmar 3.5cm f/3,5, then I have to put it on the left window, because I couldn't screw the lens on or/and out.

With the Summar, left is OK.

So, I guess You can do it like you want. One day left, the other day right.

With some use, You will gain your own preference. :cool:

I usually put the OKARO on the center window (right), but if I use the Elmar 3.5cm f/3,5, then I have to put it on the left window, because I couldn't screw the lens on or/and out.

Hey guys - stop JOKING !!! JC SAID IT , period !!! Or do these two letters say NOTHING to your ateist minds ? :D

• Like 1

One could solve the problem as well by putting the OKARO/ORAKO on one window and look at it from the front and then turning the camera around: one time left, one time right.

(In the German Forum discussions like this always concern the question whether the time-dial on the M6 or the M6 TTL is to be turned in the right or wrong direction. It has been reported that these discussions have led to some casualites yet.)

Bill, you cannot put it on the viewfinder, because its shape and next the range finder is the one on the left from the viewfinder for the user side. Kisselbach is showing what you see in it :

JC, you are absolutely right, of course. My fault for rushing what I was saying. The window I was referring to was the one on the LEFT as you look from the FRONT.

Regards,

Bill

Guest maddoc2003jp

Using my IIIf it works better on the VF (left) window and doesn't conflict with the infinity lock of my Canon 50/1.4. Elmar 50/3.5, Summaron 1:3.5, and Summitar are fine, though.

OK, I got the OKARO for my IIIc and put it on the rangefinder window. It does seem to help with the contrast in focusing. My question is how "loose" should it fit? It's not a real snug fit and I fear that if I am not mindful of it, I just may lose it. Any thoughts?

• 6 years later...

WHILE I REALIZE THIS IS AN OLD DISCUSSION, THERE WILL BE NEWCOMERS, LIKE ME WHO COME HERE FOR SOME FORM OF "ENLIGHTENMENT" AND TO BE FRANK I FEEL THE GLIB ATTITUDE OF LONGTIME MEMBERS IS UNHELPFUL AT BEST AND DISMISSIVE AT WORST. AS A MAN NEW TO BARNACK CAMERAS (IT WAS A BUCKET LIST CAMERA AND NOW I'M DYING) IT IS OF REAL INTEREST TO ME TO GET A USEFUL ANSWER. SO USING WHAT I AM LEARNING FROM MY OWN BRIEF EXPERIENCE I CAN STATE: IT APPEARS THAT IT DIFFERS FROM MODEL TO MODEL AND ON THE BRIGHTNESS OF THE SUBJECT AND AMBIENT LIGHT. 111a LEICAS SEEM TO FOCUS BETTER IF THE OKARO IS PLACED OVER THE FINDER NEAREST THE ADVANCE KNOB AS IT MAKES THE RANGEFINDER SPOT RED/ORANGE. PLACING IT OVER THE FINDER NEAREST THE REWIND SIDE MAKES THE BACKGROUND RED/ORANGE AND THE FOCUS SPOT CLEAR. THE LATER MODELS INCLUDING THE 111c USE THE ORAKO AND IT SEEMS BEST ON THE REWIND SIDE, THOUGH IT VARIES ACCORDING TO SUBJECT AND AMBIENT LIGHT. ABOVE AND BEYOND THIS IN ALL MODELS, IF THE BEAM SPLITTER IS DIRTY, NOTHING BUT A CLA WILL BE A SOLUTION. OKAROS I BELIEVE WERE SUPPLIED BECAUSE THE 111a HAD SMALL FINDER PORTALS. I HOPE THE GREY BEARDS WILL FORGIVE A NEOPHYTE FOR PRESUMING TO OFFER ADVICE..:)

• Like 2

WHILE I REALIZE THIS IS AN OLD DISCUSSION, THERE WILL BE NEWCOMERS, LIKE ME WHO COME HERE FOR SOME FORM OF "ENLIGHTENMENT" AND TO BE FRANK I FEEL THE GLIB ATTITUDE OF LONGTIME MEMBERS IS UNHELPFUL AT BEST AND DISMISSIVE AT WORST. AS A MAN NEW TO BARNACK CAMERAS (IT WAS A BUCKET LIST CAMERA AND NOW I'M DYING) IT IS OF REAL INTEREST TO ME TO GET A USEFUL ANSWER. SO USING WHAT I AM LEARNING FROM MY OWN BRIEF EXPERIENCE I CAN STATE: IT APPEARS THAT IT DIFFERS FROM MODEL TO MODEL AND ON THE BRIGHTNESS OF THE SUBJECT AND AMBIENT LIGHT. 111a LEICAS SEEM TO FOCUS BETTER IF THE OKARO IS PLACED OVER THE FINDER NEAREST THE ADVANCE KNOB AS IT MAKES THE RANGEFINDER SPOT RED/ORANGE. PLACING IT OVER THE FINDER NEAREST THE REWIND SIDE MAKES THE BACKGROUND RED/ORANGE AND THE FOCUS SPOT CLEAR. THE LATER MODELS INCLUDING THE 111c USE THE ORAKO AND IT SEEMS BEST ON THE REWIND SIDE, THOUGH IT VARIES ACCORDING TO SUBJECT AND AMBIENT LIGHT. ABOVE AND BEYOND THIS IN ALL MODELS, IF THE BEAM SPLITTER IS DIRTY, NOTHING BUT A CLA WILL BE A SOLUTION. OKAROS I BELIEVE WERE SUPPLIED BECAUSE THE 111a HAD SMALL FINDER PORTALS. I HOPE THE GREY BEARDS WILL FORGIVE A NEOPHYTE FOR PRESUMING TO OFFER ADVICE..:)

HAVING HAD MORE TRIALS I FIND THE OKARO WORKS WELL ON THE WINDOW CLOSEST TO THE REWIND KNOB TOO...(LOOKING FROM THE FRONT OF THE CAMERA) AGAIN, THIS IS VARIES ACCORDING TO WHAT THE BACKGROUND IS LIKE...IN THIS CASE THE VIEWFINDER SPOT WILL APPEAR CLEAR AND THE SURROUNDINGS SLIGHTLY RED. IN POOR LIGHT, NO OKARO MIGHT WORK BEST. THE 111a IS NOT THE EASIEST TO FOCUS...BEING AMONG THE EARLIEST OF THE MODELS.

A CHEAPER AND IN MY EXPERIENCE A BETTER OPTION IS TO GET SOME RED OR ORANGE ACETATE FOUND IN THEATRE LIGHTING STORES AND CUT OUT A CIRCLE WHICH YOU THEN PUSH INTO THE RANGEFINDER PORTAL UNTIL IT IS FLAT AGAINST THE GLASS. THAT SEEMS TO WORK FINE FOR ME..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk