LX1 Samples at dpreview.com

freebs

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You are welcome Vincent.

Something in the process of making the snapshot increased the saturation of your pictures compared with the original. Perhaps the Color Space got stripped off the images? The originals are in sRGB color space.

Unfortunately digital cameras have to deal with sensor and software issues on top of Lens induced CA so they are more complicated than Film cameras where the main artifacts come form issues with the lens. Some sensor artifacts like "blooming" and "purple fringing" look very much like lens CA but have nothing to do with the lens; also profile and color space mismatches can wreak havoc with colors. If you point a film camera to a high contrast scene with a bright light source then the film will burn out in a "gentle" manner; do the same with a digital camera and you will get harsh blooming and purple fringing - this is inherent in all CCDs and has nothing to do with the lens design.

Lens design is an extremely complicated process of balancing various types of distortions, vignetting, rendition of out of focus regions, chromatic aberrations, resolving power and edge to edge performance and is a balancing act based on compromises; even expensive lenses from reputable lens manufacturers often show some degree of defects based on the compromise made in the lens design. The less compromises you make the more expensive the lens becomes. Lenses that perform well for film may not perform well on digital cameras especially compact large sensor cameras where the distance form the lens to the sensor is small. Since the X1 costs around $2000 I think one should compare its lens with other primes costing around $1000 (the body of the X1 is the other $1000). I have used Zeiss lenses which cost over a thousand dollars (on the M8 as well as the Nikon D700) and you can see distortion, CA, harsh out of focus regions, or non optimal edge performance to varying degrees in different models - some are more optimized for one than the other. Only my very expensive Leica lenses have many aberrations and defects under good control. From the Dpreview samples we see that the distortion of the X1 lens is low, edge to edge performance is good, there are some artifacts in harsh high contrast scenes but there are also profile related issues and completely blown red channel exaggerating these effects that should be fixable by using a custom profile for the X1, there is lack of vignetting even though the sensor is large and close to the lens; for a lens in $1000 class on a large sensor compact camera this is not bad at all. The upcoming reviews of the X1 will tell us a whole lot more about this camera; it is too early to jump to conclusions. In my opinion, so far so good; I am cautiously optimistic :)

Take care!

Furrukh

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just to illustrate the point in my last post I took a picture of a back-lit scene by using a Nikon full frame D700 and a well respected prime, DC Nikkor 105mmf2.0D lens. The camera was well above $3000 when I bought it and the lens costs $1078 at B&H. Notice the blooming you see in this picture taken by a package that costs twice the price of an X1 and is significantly larger than an X1 (Nikon designers were not constrained by the compact size requirements of an X1). The results are a little better if I use Nikon's $1700 AF-S Zoom Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED lens but blooming is still visible in these conditions; this lens is one of the most respected lenses in the Nikon lineup and is considered to be better than current Nikkor primes. Also notice that I used ACR profiles that have been customized specifically for the D700. Hopefully this example puts the Dpreview X1 samples in the right perspective.

Take care!

Furrukh

N.B. This picture was larger but got shrunk in size to fit the web page. The blooming looks more pronounced in the original.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by khanosu