Leica User Forum


Go Back   Leica User Forum > International User Forum > Leica Products > Leica X1 / Leica X2 / Leica X Vario

Leica X1 / Leica X2 / Leica X Vario The Leica X Forum is about the Leica X1, Leica X2 and the new Leica X Vario.

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09/01/13, 14:25   #1 (permalink)
Benutzer
 
Join Date: 08/03/09
Posts: 30
Pfeil Does the X1 & X2's ASPH lens made by glass or resin?

Ad
Hi

Does anyone know that if the X1 & X2's ASPH lens made by glass or resin?

if it is made by glass, does it made by polishing machine or stamper machine?

Thanks
shaozhuohong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/13, 14:28   #2 (permalink)
Benutzer
 
Join Date: 08/03/09
Posts: 30
Daumen hoch Does the X1 & X2's ASPH lens made by glass or resin?

Hi

Does anyone know that if the X1 & X2's ASPH lens made by glass or resin?

if it is made by glass, does it made by polishing machine or stamper machine?

Thanks
shaozhuohong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/13, 15:26   #3 (permalink)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
earleygallery's Avatar
 
Join Date: 29/06/06
Location: Gtr London
Posts: 12,548
Default Re: Does the X1 & X2's ASPH lens made by glass or resin?

I think you have been reading this thread http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-...iveries-3.html

I can't answer your question for sure, but I would expect that the lens for the X1/X2 is made for Leica by a third party, rather like those for the Panasonic cameras.
__________________
Regards,
James

croydonconfidential.blogspot.com
earleygallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/13, 18:11   #4 (permalink)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
Join Date: 05/12/02
Posts: 4,784
Default AW: Does the X1 & X2's ASPH lens made by glass or resin?

My guess is glass lens elements and moulded aspherical surfaces where applicable. Grinding the aspherical surfaces seems too expensive in this price segment.

Andy
wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/13, 02:20   #5 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jaapv's Avatar
 
Join Date: 14/09/04
Location: Behind a Red Dot
Posts: 36,009
Default Re: Does the X1 & X2's ASPH lens made by glass or resin?

Leica does not use plastic for lenses. The asphericals are blank-pressed.
__________________
Jaap

WWW.JAAPVPHOTOGRAPHY.EU

Posts in blue bold font are made as a moderator
jaapv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/13, 11:25   #6 (permalink)
Benutzer
 
Join Date: 08/03/09
Posts: 30
Default Re: Does the X1 & X2's ASPH lens made by glass or resin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
Leica does not use plastic for lenses. The asphericals are blank-pressed.

Thanks for your reply, but may I ask if you have any evidence to say so?
shaozhuohong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/13, 16:24   #7 (permalink)
mjh
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
mjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01/03/06
Location: Hamburg
Posts: 9,074
Default AW: Does the X1 & X2's ASPH lens made by glass or resin?

Even Panasonic makes blank-pressed glass asphericals, not plastic lenses.
__________________
Michael J. Hußmann
mjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/13, 17:59   #8 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jaapv's Avatar
 
Join Date: 14/09/04
Location: Behind a Red Dot
Posts: 36,009
Default Re: Does the X1 & X2's ASPH lens made by glass or resin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaozhuohong View Post
Thanks for your reply, but may I ask if you have any evidence to say so?
Just try saying the word " plastic" inside the Leica lens dept. Two big hairy bouncers will throw you into a muddy puddle outside the door....
__________________
Jaap

WWW.JAAPVPHOTOGRAPHY.EU

Posts in blue bold font are made as a moderator
jaapv is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank You say...
brill64 (06/02/13), chiamad (26/01/13), indie (16/01/13), turner (19/01/13)
Old 11/01/13, 22:16   #9 (permalink)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
Digitom's Avatar
 
Join Date: 23/09/06
Location: tief im Südwesten
Posts: 1,384
Default AW: Does the X1 & X2's ASPH lens made by glass or resin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard View Post
My guess is glass lens elements and moulded aspherical surfaces where applicable. Grinding the aspherical surfaces seems too expensive in this price segment.

Andy

I do not think so. Sure the lens is one of the most expensive parts of this camera.
What else should justify that price?
In fact, the X2 is a very spartanic camera (and that is ok!). So there must be a reason (beside the red dot). I think the lens is.
Digitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/01/13, 00:38   #10 (permalink)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
earleygallery's Avatar
 
Join Date: 29/06/06
Location: Gtr London
Posts: 12,548
Default Re: AW: Does the X1 & X2's ASPH lens made by glass or resin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitom View Post
I do not think so. Sure the lens is one of the most expensive parts of this camera.
What else should justify that price?
In fact, the X2 is a very spartanic camera (and that is ok!). So there must be a reason (beside the red dot). I think the lens is.
An X2 is approx. £1500 in the UK. That's for the lens with a camera attached to it, as well as the software etc that comes with it.

A 24mm f3.8 M lens (the cheaper option) is £1800. That's just the lens of course.

Do the maths as they say. Obviously the lens on the X2 is not made by Leica, and not to the same standards as the M lenses.
__________________
Regards,
James

croydonconfidential.blogspot.com
earleygallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank You says
andybarton (12/01/13)
Old 12/01/13, 07:40   #11 (permalink)
Moderator
 
andybarton's Avatar
 
Join Date: 21/06/06
Location: Airstrip 1 - 53°17'46"N, 03°05'02"W
Posts: 26,122
Default Re: Does the X1 & X2's ASPH lens made by glass or resin?

Ad
I'm not disagreeing with James as I am certain that the X1/2 lenses are made for Leica, a long way from Solms, where the M lenses are made, but it must be easier and cheaper to make a decent lens for an APS size recording device than a full frame one.

There is nothing wrong with the lens on an X1/2
__________________
Andy

Any comment here is just my opinion. Yours may differ.


Website: 24th May 2014
Blog: "Still My Turn This Year?": 23rd July 2014


Leica User Book 2014 Now available. Click the link
andybarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank You says
Manashu (15/01/13)
Old 12/01/13, 15:10   #12 (permalink)
wda
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
wda's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30/03/05
Location: Wiltshire UK
Posts: 5,295
Default Re: Does the X1 & X2's ASPH lens made by glass or resin?

Forgive my going off-topic Andy, but did you resolve your problems with your new X1? I recall it went back to Germany.
__________________
David
www.davidaskham.com -
(Leica user since ... a very long time ago)
wda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/01/13, 17:26   #13 (permalink)
Moderator
 
andybarton's Avatar
 
Join Date: 21/06/06
Location: Airstrip 1 - 53°17'46"N, 03°05'02"W
Posts: 26,122
Default Re: Does the X1 & X2's ASPH lens made by glass or resin?

No, it never went back to Germany, it's here in my bag. I just put up with it...
__________________
Andy

Any comment here is just my opinion. Yours may differ.


Website: 24th May 2014
Blog: "Still My Turn This Year?": 23rd July 2014


Leica User Book 2014 Now available. Click the link
andybarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank You says
wda (12/01/13)
Old 12/01/13, 21:41   #14 (permalink)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
Digitom's Avatar
 
Join Date: 23/09/06
Location: tief im Südwesten
Posts: 1,384
Default AW: Re: AW: Does the X1 & X2's ASPH lens made by glass or resin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by earleygallery View Post
An X2 is approx. £1500 in the UK. That's for the lens with a camera attached to it, as well as the software etc that comes with it.

A 24mm f3.8 M lens (the cheaper option) is £1800. That's just the lens of course.

Do the maths as they say. Obviously the lens on the X2 is not made by Leica, and not to the same standards as the M lenses.
Noone compares the X2 with Leica M, except you.
How can you say that the lenses are obviously not made by Leica. If you have any informations about, you should share it. Just talk about facts. Because, when I was at Leica experience days last year and the year before, they at Leica told me that Lens of X1 and X2 are made by Leica.
Digitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/01/13, 23:13   #15 (permalink)
Moderator
 
andybarton's Avatar
 
Join Date: 21/06/06
Location: Airstrip 1 - 53°17'46"N, 03°05'02"W
Posts: 26,122
Default Re: Does the X1 & X2's ASPH lens made by glass or resin?

I would suggest that the lenses are made FOR Leica, to their design, rather than BY Leica. But, it's actually difficult to find out this kind of information. Leica don't tell.

It took a while to find out that the X1/2 were made in Portugal. It could be that the lenses are made there too, but traditionally, Leica have kept their lens manufacturing kit well away from their metal bashing kit.

It would be interesting to know for sure, just for the sake if knowing.
__________________
Andy

Any comment here is just my opinion. Yours may differ.


Website: 24th May 2014
Blog: "Still My Turn This Year?": 23rd July 2014


Leica User Book 2014 Now available. Click the link
andybarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13/01/13, 06:15   #16 (permalink)
Benutzer
 
Join Date: 08/03/09
Posts: 30
Default Re: Does the X1 & X2's ASPH lens made by glass or resin?

hello andybarton and everyone,

if you use the words such as "certain" or "find out", please also provide the relative evidence.

As far as I know, the glass of leica lens are made by Schott, and theose glasses final assembles in leica factory.

But all of that doesn't answer my original question.
shaozhuohong is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank You says
Tatlan (15/01/13)
Old 13/01/13, 08:40   #17 (permalink)
Moderator
 
andybarton's Avatar
 
Join Date: 21/06/06
Location: Airstrip 1 - 53°17'46"N, 03°05'02"W
Posts: 26,122
Default Re: Does the X1 & X2's ASPH lens made by glass or resin?

The lenses are glass
__________________
Andy

Any comment here is just my opinion. Yours may differ.


Website: 24th May 2014
Blog: "Still My Turn This Year?": 23rd July 2014


Leica User Book 2014 Now available. Click the link
andybarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13/01/13, 09:36   #18 (permalink)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
earleygallery's Avatar
 
Join Date: 29/06/06
Location: Gtr London
Posts: 12,548
Default Re: Does the X1 & X2's ASPH lens made by glass or resin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaozhuohong View Post
hello andybarton and everyone,

if you use the words such as "certain" or "find out", please also provide the relative evidence.

As far as I know, the glass of leica lens are made by Schott, and theose glasses final assembles in leica factory.

But all of that doesn't answer my original question.
Well, the Leica lenses for the other compact digitals are made by Panasonic. I don't know if Panasonic actually produce them or if it is subbed out to yet another manufacturer - the Leica lens on the Digilux 1 was also VERY similar to the lens on contemporary Canon and Olympus models at the time......
__________________
Regards,
James

croydonconfidential.blogspot.com
earleygallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13/01/13, 09:42   #19 (permalink)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
earleygallery's Avatar
 
Join Date: 29/06/06
Location: Gtr London
Posts: 12,548
Default Re: Does the X1 & X2's ASPH lens made by glass or resin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaozhuohong View Post
hello andybarton and everyone,

if you use the words such as "certain" or "find out", please also provide the relative evidence.

As far as I know, the glass of leica lens are made by Schott, and theose glasses final assembles in leica factory.

But all of that doesn't answer my original question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybarton View Post
The lenses are glass
I used the comparison to point out that if the lenses on the X1/2 were made alongside the M lenses, the price would be much higher.

I bought a compact digital camera with a Leica lens for £99. I'm under no illusion that the lens was hand made by Leica in Germany. It's still an excellent lens however, as is the lens on the X1/2.
__________________
Regards,
James

croydonconfidential.blogspot.com
earleygallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14/01/13, 22:11   #20 (permalink)
s38
Benutzer
 
Join Date: 08/06/12
Posts: 45
Default Re: Does the X1 & X2's ASPH lens made by glass or resin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybarton View Post
I would suggest that the lenses are made FOR Leica, to their design, rather than BY Leica. But, it's actually difficult to find out this kind of information. Leica don't tell.

It took a while to find out that the X1/2 were made in Portugal. It could be that the lenses are made there too, but traditionally, Leica have kept their lens manufacturing kit well away from their metal bashing kit.

It would be interesting to know for sure, just for the sake if knowing.

When you say X1/2 it's made in Portugal you are not talking out of your arse, are you?Mine says it's made in Germany, and it also has Wolfgang's signature...

Looks like the X1/2 haters cant accept the fact that those two cameras have great IQ, and in some cases they are better that M9
s38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Current eBay Ads

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
© juergensen.net - Andreas Jürgensen