Leica User Forum


Go Back   Leica User Forum > International User Forum > Leica Products > Leica M / M-E / M9 / Monochrom

Leica M / M-E / M9 / Monochrom The Leica M9 Forum is dedicated to everything around the new LEICA M, M-E, M9, M9-P and LEICA M MONOCHROM.

 Leica Products
Leica M240 Leica M Monochrom Leica M9 Leica M-E Leica X Vario
Leica M240
Amazon US | B&H | Dale | Adorama | eBay US | Leica Deals
Leica M Monochrom
B&H | Dale | Adorama | eBay US | Leica Deals
Leica M9
Amazon US | B&H | Dale | eBay US | Leica Deals
Leica M-E
Amazon US | B&H | Dale | Adorama | eBay US | Leica Deals
Leica X Vario
B&H | Adorama | Dale | Amazon | eBay US | Leica Deals
Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11/02/13, 22:10   #1 (permalink)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
Stealth3kpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 28/03/10
Posts: 2,191
Default Sensor Cracks

Ad
Did they ever get to the bottom of why some sensors cracked on the M9. Did they make any adjustment to the design to stop it happening and is it likely that no such issue will arise with the M?
Pete
Stealth3kpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/13, 07:19   #2 (permalink)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
Join Date: 12/11/02
Location: London
Posts: 9,040
Default Re: Sensor Cracks

The new sensor is entirely different, designed by a different company and also made by a third party. It may have problems all its own but just because Kodak (as was) had the problem, there's no reason to believe the new sensor will have the same.
__________________
Mark
marknorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank You says
Stealth3kpl (12/02/13)
Old 12/02/13, 07:43   #3 (permalink)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
Join Date: 07/07/03
Location: UK
Posts: 5,563
Default Re: Sensor Cracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth3kpl View Post
Did they make any adjustment to the design to stop it happening
I don't think so (at least "they" being Leica) – my slightly less than one year old M9P cracked recently. As Mark states, this is not relevant to the new M which uses an entirely new sensor.
__________________
Ian Watts
Tumblr // flickr
wattsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank You says
Stealth3kpl (12/02/13)
Old 12/02/13, 15:52   #4 (permalink)
Sponsoring Member
 
JCharlton's Avatar
 
Join Date: 18/12/12
Location: Seattle / Brooklyn
Posts: 89
Default Re: Sensor Cracks

Wait... I thought the glass sensor cover is what has been cracking on the M's, not the actual sensor itself.
__________________
--
M9-P / 35 Summicron V4 / 35 Summilux FLE / 50 Summilux Pre-ASPH /
JCharlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/13, 16:08   #5 (permalink)
mjh
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
mjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01/03/06
Location: Hamburg
Posts: 8,601
Default AW: Re: Sensor Cracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCharlton View Post
Wait... I thought the glass sensor cover is what has been cracking on the M's, not the actual sensor itself.
When talking about ‘the sensor’ one usually refers to the whole unit, i.e. not just the silicon chip, but also the Bayer filters, microlenses, the cover glass etc..

Whether (as we may presume) Truesense Imaging, Inc. in the US has learned to avoid the cracking has no bearing on the new sensor that was designed by CMOSIS in Belgium and is manufactured by STMicroelectronics in France.
__________________
Michael J. Hußmann
mjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank You say...
JCharlton (12/02/13), Stealth3kpl (14/02/13)
Old 12/02/13, 16:24   #6 (permalink)
Sponsoring Member
 
JCharlton's Avatar
 
Join Date: 18/12/12
Location: Seattle / Brooklyn
Posts: 89
Daumen hoch Re: Sensor Cracks

Thank you Michael. I was unaware of the many layers above the silicon chip.
__________________
--
M9-P / 35 Summicron V4 / 35 Summilux FLE / 50 Summilux Pre-ASPH /
JCharlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/13, 23:32   #7 (permalink)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
earleygallery's Avatar
 
Join Date: 29/06/06
Location: Gtr London
Posts: 12,464
Default Re: Sensor Cracks

I recall some mention being made of the bonding process for sensor to glass. Clearly there is some undue stress being applied to the glass causing it to crack in some cases.

I'm not sure that it's been fixed as such but Leica do acknowledge the problem.
__________________
Regards,
James

croydonconfidential.blogspot.com
earleygallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13/03/13, 18:21   #8 (permalink)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
Join Date: 28/12/06
Location: The Republic of Texas
Posts: 1,623
Default Re: Sensor Cracks

Does anybody with a cracked sensor use a collapsible Elmar lens?
jdlaing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13/03/13, 21:00   #9 (permalink)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
Join Date: 19/11/07
Posts: 113
Default Re: Sensor Cracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknorton View Post
The new sensor is entirely different, designed by a different company and also made by a third party. It may have problems all its own but just because Kodak (as was) had the problem, there's no reason to believe the new sensor will have the same.
What about the Leica Monochrom, it does use a sensor similar to the one in the M9 doesn't it? If speculating, could sensor cracking issues arise with the Monochrom as well?

I'm growing a bit interested in the Monochrom, but would hate to end up in a situation where the sensor cracks +2 years from now, and no replacement sensor being available.

Best,
Richard
__________________
Best regards,
Richard Fossum
Richard.no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14/03/13, 04:30   #10 (permalink)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
Join Date: 12/11/02
Location: London
Posts: 9,040
Default Re: Sensor Cracks

Yes, it's a similar sensor which goes through the same manufacturing processes so the same changes which were made to stop the M9 sensor failing will apply to the Monochrom as well.
__________________
Mark
marknorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14/03/13, 17:32   #11 (permalink)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
Join Date: 19/11/07
Posts: 113
Default Re: Sensor Cracks

Ad
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknorton View Post
Yes, it's a similar sensor which goes through the same manufacturing processes so the same changes which were made to stop the M9 sensor failing will apply to the Monochrom as well.
Thanks, Mark.

I tried searching both the forum and in general for information on changes that might have been made to the process - but have not found any. Can you point to a source for this, or is this something only a few knows of?

I don't know anything about the construction of these sensors, but I can believe it would be possible to maybe introduce a slightly thicker cover glass on the MM, since it has no bayer filter?

Truesense seems to have removed the M9 sensor (and the MM) from their product line, so I think it would be a fair guess that any cracking issue with the MM CCD, would become disasterous, unless Leica chose to stack up with loads sensors "just in case" (probably not). So either you're right and they have eliminated the problem, or they chose to take the risk and hope for the best.
__________________
Best regards,
Richard Fossum
Richard.no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14/03/13, 17:52   #12 (permalink)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
Join Date: 07/07/03
Location: UK
Posts: 5,563
Default Re: Sensor Cracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard.no View Post
unless Leica chose to stack up with loads sensors "just in case" (probably not).
Leica certainly haven't chosen to stack up with loads of sensors because they have currently run out of the M9 ones. I think we can safely assume that Truesense are still making the sensors or Leica would have a very serious problem indeed.
__________________
Ian Watts
Tumblr // flickr
wattsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14/03/13, 17:56   #13 (permalink)
Benutzer
 
Join Date: 10/10/12
Posts: 60
Default Re: Sensor Cracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattsy View Post
I think we can safely assume that Truesense are still making the sensors or Leica would have a very serious problem indeed.
I wouldnt assume anything sorry but I am a bit of a pessimist but I am interested if any MM sensors have cracked?
nicks500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14/03/13, 18:15   #14 (permalink)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
Join Date: 07/07/03
Location: UK
Posts: 5,563
Default Re: Sensor Cracks

I think it's a reasonable assumption or they will have a bit of a problem explaining to me why they can't replace the cracked sensor in my 1 year old camera.
__________________
Ian Watts
Tumblr // flickr
wattsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14/03/13, 19:10   #15 (permalink)
Sponsoring Member
 
Join Date: 26/09/09
Location: The Peak District, Derbyshire
Posts: 4,931
Default Re: Sensor Cracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlaing View Post
Does anybody with a cracked sensor use a collapsible Elmar lens?
Yes I use collapsible lenses. There is no correlation at all between the two.

Steve
__________________
Photographs at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/
Book
wood, water, rock,
B&W landscape photography in and around the Peak District National Park.
250swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14/03/13, 20:38   #16 (permalink)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
Join Date: 28/12/06
Location: The Republic of Texas
Posts: 1,623
Default Re: Sensor Cracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
Yes I use collapsible lenses. There is no correlation at all between the two.

Steve
Im not suggesting the lens bumping anything.
I'm thinking of something else happening.
jdlaing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14/03/13, 21:57   #17 (permalink)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
Bill Wendlandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: 17/12/06
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,936
Default Re: Sensor Cracks

I may be wrong but I do not recall any reported cracked sensors on the MM. There was an issue that was deemed sensor related I believe concerning high ISO response.
__________________
Bill

http://photobilly.zenfolio.com/
Bill Wendlandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15/03/13, 09:56   #18 (permalink)
Benutzer
 
Join Date: 10/10/12
Posts: 60
Default Re: Sensor Cracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Wendlandt View Post
I may be wrong but I do not recall any reported cracked sensors on the MM. There was an issue that was deemed sensor related I believe concerning high ISO response.
Well thats good because I hope to give my Leica to my cat when I die
nicks500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15/03/13, 13:18   #19 (permalink)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
Bill Wendlandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: 17/12/06
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,936
Default Re: Sensor Cracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicks500 View Post
Well thats good because I hope to give my Leica to my cat when I die
I would not leave mine to my cat, she would have it on ebay within the hour to buy more food.
__________________
Bill

http://photobilly.zenfolio.com/
Bill Wendlandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15/03/13, 14:59   #20 (permalink)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
Join Date: 07/07/03
Location: UK
Posts: 5,563
Default Re: Sensor Cracks

Just an update but Truesense must have found a few sensors at the back of a drawer because Leica have apparently been able to replace my cracked sensor this week.
__________________
Ian Watts
Tumblr // flickr
wattsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank You says
Peter H (15/03/13)
Reply



Bookmarks

Current eBay Ads
Current bid:
114.53 GBP
(6 bids)

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
© juergensen.net - Andreas Jürgensen