R Adapter M, list of usable R lenses

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am thinking about buying a second hand 180/3.4 Apo-Telyt-R lens to use on my M240. I went to the Leica website to see a list of the 20 (or so) R lenses that would work on the M240 with this adapter. No list available. Does anybody know which lenses can be used with this adapter on the M240? Is the Apo-Telyt-R one of them? And do the R lenses need the ROM chip implanted or can non-ROM lenses be used? If anyone has this list, can they put it on this thread? I know, so many questions, but if this lens CAN be used with this adapter, I want to purchase this lens before somebody else does. BTW, this lens doesn't have the ROM chip implanted.

Thanks in advance,

Russell

APO Telyt 180mm will work on R-M adapter without a problem - with or without ROM chip, you may have to select APO Elmarit though (don't have adaptr handy so can't check).

For a list of R lenses in M240 menu try google search R lenses on Leica m typ 240, if you have camera or adapter it should all be in a manual.

• Like 1

In my copy of the M System brochure ("Leica M: M for milestone") page 20 is about the R adapter, and it lists the R lenses which come up on the camera selection menu when the adapter 6 bit code is recognised. The 180/3.4 is one of these. Not all lenses are on the menu, but this does not mean they can't be used. One or two very early R lenses might have clearance issues. Selecting the lens does enable the camera to do a bit of in-camera image tweaking. (For example, the 28/2.8 PC lens isn't on the list for the obvious reason that any image tweaking would be dependent on the degree and direction of any shift applied, but the lens could still be used.) The adapter is "dumb" so cannot read a ROM chip, or even control cams, so ROM lenses are not needed.

• Like 1

Hello, I am curious what the newer R-Adapter M, #14642 would give me over the older #22228 adapter. I think they are the same function but perhaps I am missing something.

Thanks, Ron

Ron, my understanding is that the 22228 was an earlier ring prior to the introduction of 3rd cam lenses, so it won't accept 3rd cam lenses without a bit of its flange being ground off.

Secondly it won't have the six bit coding (which is needed to bring up the R lens selection menu).

Thirdly the new adapter has its own tripod support which is very valuable (if not essential) for mounting heavy R lenses without straining the camera lens mount.

We discussed in an earlier thread a significant vignetting issue with the 400/6.8 Telyt-V using the 14167 V(M)-R plus either the older R-M or Novoflex LEM-LER, which is reduced to almost nil with the current Leica R-M. It was said though that the R version of that lens doesn't have the issue.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I suspect any of the V(M) lenses should be used with either a M to M extension tube (I had one made by Amedeo Muscelli) or the Novoflex M to M tube made for V(M) lenses. Using multiple adapters can lead to wobble and decentering problems.

Lens Rentals wrote an interesting article, where they ran various lenses through their MTF rig with and without various qualities of adapters. Even the best caused a significant deterioration in MTF. The new R to M 14642 was not one of those they tested.

When I tried my 600mm Tele Tessar plus a Mutuar II 2X extender, with a Novoflex Contax to M and then Novoflex M to micro 4/3, it was possible to move my Olympus EP-5 up and down by a perceptible amount with the 600 TT supported on its built in tripod mount. This must cause optical axis misalignment issues and the resultant EFOV 2400mm lens (1:2 crop factor for MFT) was quite soft except in the dead centre of the image.

Wilson

Hello, I am curious what the newer R-Adapter M, #14642 would give me over the older #22228 adapter. I think they are the same function but perhaps I am missing something.

Thanks, Ron

22228 (modified) gives me severe vignetting on some lenses (especially 105-280) which the Novoflex adapter and Leica R adapter do not. The throat diameter is smaller.

I suspect any of the V(M) lenses should be used with either a M to M extension tube (I had one made by Amedeo Muscelli) or the Novoflex M to M tube made for V(M) lenses. Using multiple adapters can lead to wobble and decentering problems

The only V lens I own is the 400/6,8 which while long is also quite light weight owing to being basically a hollow telescoping tube affair with a simple cemented 2-element lens. I've used it many years with the 14167 on R bodies, and with the addition of an R-EOS adapter on film and digital Canon's. Never noticed a wobble, and these are slim, high-quality adapters so centering was never a worry. Likewise recently I've used it with 14167 + novoflex LEM-LER (vignettes but otherwise ok), and current Leica R-M (very tiny corner vignetting, ignorable) on the M240. I have also used the 400+14167+Novoflex LEM-SonyE on a NEX 6 (APS-C) with good results.

I have the older 400 and 560 mm Telyt f5.6's with all the bits, shoulder stock and a Visoflex III. They are not very good lenses and poorly corrected for CA. They work better with B&W film than they do with digital. Since getting the Contax Tele Tessars kit 300 mm 600mm and up to 1200mm with extender, I never use the Telyts nowadays and they sit in their fitted aluminium case, with all the accessories, filters, etc, waiting for me to get round to selling them on eBay.

Wilson

I never used the ancient f/5.6 versions. My 400/6.8 exhibits no discernible CA. A bit of field curvature, which is well-known with this lens, but that's the only issue. The reason I keep and use this lens is it is very sharp, comes apart in halves for travel, and weighs very little for it's focal length, which frankly I have very little use for.

I am thinking about buying a second hand 180/3.4 Apo-Telyt-R lens to use on my M240. I went to the Leica website to see a list of the 20 (or so) R lenses that would work on the M240 with this adapter. No list available. Does anybody know which lenses can be used with this adapter on the M240? Is the Apo-Telyt-R one of them? And do the R lenses need the ROM chip implanted or can non-ROM lenses be used? If anyone has this list, can they put it on this thread? I know, so many questions, but if this lens CAN be used with this adapter, I want to purchase this lens before somebody else does. BTW, this lens doesn't have the ROM chip implanted.

Thanks in advance,

Russell

I could be wrong, but with the latest M-R adapter from Leica, corrections for R telephoto lenses are about nonexistent. It corrects for wides like the 15/2.8 I used to use on it. The Leica adapter with its coding keeps the last R lens you used in "memory in your camera" so that if you only use one lens you do not have to manually select it each and every time it is mounted with the Leica adapter, only the first time. Plus the Leica adapter has a removeable tripod mount which is just perfect for short/lighter telephoto R lenses like the 180/3.4 and the APO 180/3.8.

• Like 1