Can Never Go Back to DSLR

DLS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Over much of the past year I've been shooting with a Telyt-R 280mm f/4 on my M240 in preparation for a planned trip to Africa. It's been an incredibly difficult learning curve to get up to speed with the EVF, focus peaking and this lens. Many friends have been telling me I'm crazy to even try and suggest getting a Nikon D810 or the new Canon 5DSR with fast lenses that autofocus, or even step down to one of the better DX-level DSLR cameras for the crop factor and high speed shutters. I've been reading a good deal about the latest generations of these cameras and today finally got a chance to put my hands on them. OMG, I'd forgotten how big these cameras are - I felt foolish even holding them. There is no way I can return to this kind of camera, even though they may have their "better" applications. After six years now of using the Leica M9 and then the M240, I'm so completely adapted to them that it would be all but impossible for this 62-year old to go back to using a DSLR. Anyone else have similar experiences? I'm just going to have to double down on the time I spend getting better and faster with the 280mm, which produces delicious results when nailing the shot.

• Like 5

Anyone else have similar experiences?

No, I keep a 5D Mark III for use with the 70-200mm II IS for event shooting. It's not just the autofocus that makes it good for this role but that you can get away with shots as high as ISO 12800. The other nice thing about the 5D Mark III, is the TS-E 17mm! (Although it works better on the M240 than the 5D even with the lack of aperture control, due to focus peaking and that Leica's sensor has better dynamic range and less noise in the shadows).

Another thing I keep the 5D Mark III for is situation that need close focusing, being able to focus at 0.3m comes in handy sometimes.

I love using my 5D Mark III, it is a truly great camera. It doesn't just have great image quality, it's also fun to use and fun to shoot. It gets the technical and emotional right.

However the M240 does just as good a job, scratch that a better job the lenses are better and the sensor is better at low ISO, the shooting experience is less like looking through a tunnel. It does all this while feeling like a feather in your hands, which is more due to the compact lenses. It does make the 5D Mark III look a bit absurd. But there are certain shoots where the 5D is the right tool.

Edited by Mornnb
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have 5D Mk1 and prefer it hands-down to any EVF. Visually, and the blackout lag. While it's certainly bulkier than my M240 it doesn't feel all that much heavier, or even bigger (no doubt a function of ergonomics). I have a 70-210 R zoom lens, which is smaller and lighter than the 280/4 APO, and find it slightly unbalanced on the M240 compared to on my 5D, not to mention I guess I've grown accustomed to image stabilizers and miss it with the R lens. I also have a Rebel which is featherweight and tiny compared to the 5D (and M240), plus the crop factor allows not having to resort to teleconverters (albeit it's a false sense, because the IQ from a 5D crop is pretty much on par).

The 280/4 APO is one heckuva lens though. I had one back in my R days, it was amazingly sharp.

I had to use a Mrk iii today for the first time in at least a year for set photography, as the director also wanted me to shoot some behind the scenes footage. I had also forgotten how massive and different it felt compared to my M-P. I honestly didn't get as near as good shots as I would have gotten with my M. Not because of it's technical aspects, but just because of how I love shooting with my M, it just grew to be as a part of my body. When I got home I compared today's shoot with another one where I used my M earlier this week, and there is really no comparison to me.

Try a Sony A7II. Size is comparable to your M but it's lighter. Fabulous 24MP sensor and better implementation of live view manual focus. Or you could stick a 70-200 Sony on it.

Gordon

For long lenses the Leica implementation is more precise in my experience but more difficult to see than Sony. There is a tradeoff here I think. With midrange lenses Sony is better, but Leica has the rangefinder for those lengths Edited by jaapv

I have to agree David ........

All the huge expensive heavy Nikon lenses have gone ...... my old Nikon body and solitary 85/1.4 has never been out of a cupboard in 5 years ...... the Sony A7r and lenses had only a few hundred exposures on the clock before it was retired to the safe as possibly one of the most irritatingly annoying little cameras I have ever used.

I am not a professional photographer .... if I do not actually ENJOY using the equipment I have then the whole exercise of taking photos is pointless...... :rolleyes:

Like you, I think this is a one-way trip.......:)

• Like 3

I've also found the Sony A7 a good long-lens solution for me. I never tried Sony lenses with it, but use all my old orphaned film SLR lenses, even without auto diaphragm support. It's by no means perfect, but makes a credible "digital R4" using spot metering in aperture-preferred mode. The R normal lenses feel large on it, but my collection of compact Pentax "M" lenses are about right. The good results with the Pentax SMC-M 20mm on it were an unexpected bonus, so I seldom use a 21 on my M9 any more.

I've also found the Sony A7 a good long-lens solution for me. I never tried Sony lenses with it, but use all my old orphaned film SLR lenses, even without auto diaphragm support. It's by no means perfect, but makes a credible "digital R4" using spot metering in aperture-preferred mode. The R normal lenses feel large on it, but my collection of compact Pentax "M" lenses are about right. The good results with the Pentax SMC-M 20mm on it were an unexpected bonus, so I seldom use a 21 on my M9 any more.

Novoflex could most probably make an adaptor closing the diaphragm of R lenses on actuation of the shutter of the Sony.

It would certainly be expensive, is there enough of a market ?

I would buy one for sure since i kept all my Leica R lenses and, as you know already, all of them are good or extremely good lenses.

Same could be done for Zeiss or Nikon lenses on sony or Leica digital M.

I'm with you. I used to shoot with a Contax N1 and replaced it with a 5D and 35 1.4L. I later bought an MP and a 35 1.4 AA. When the M8 was released, I sold my Canon gear and never looked back.

I do not like shooting with Zoom lenses and for my style of shooting, I have absolutely no need for a DSLR. A lot of my friends are set photographers and use 5D IIIs out of necessity. I feel bad they have to carry two of those monsters around all day. They are fast and reliable, but by my standards, most pictures are sharp enough at most.

RF and SLr cameras both have advantages. If small is your priority, RF wins. Better focus 90 mm and down, RF wins. 90 is the break point.

If you want perfect framing and better focus with lenses 90 and up, slur is the camera.

Crop sensors are good for tourists and some other applications.

DSLR have garbage focus unless you fine tune the auto focus and it works close and far, open and shut down.

All cameras have advantages and disadvantages.

I'm afraid that after years of sole leica M use I have been drawn into the Sony A7 series. I now have the A7s and A7II and while they don't have the feel or approach of the leica system that are amazingly versatile. I still use some of my leica lenses on them but Sony/Zeiss FE55/1.8 and the FE16-35/4 lenses are just superb and I'm afraid that on a trip to Palermo next week I will just be taking these 2 cameras and lenses and this kit will just fit into a Billingham Hadley small case. My poor M will have to stay locked up in the safe at home

Edited by viramati

Over much of the past year I've been shooting with a Telyt-R 280mm f/4 on my M240 in preparation for a planned trip to Africa. It's been an incredibly difficult learning curve to get up to speed with the EVF, focus peaking and this lens. Many friends have been telling me I'm crazy to even try and suggest getting a Nikon D810 or the new Canon 5DSR with fast lenses that autofocus, or even step down to one of the better DX-level DSLR cameras for the crop factor and high speed shutters. I've been reading a good deal about the latest generations of these cameras and today finally got a chance to put my hands on them. OMG, I'd forgotten how big these cameras are - I felt foolish even holding them. There is no way I can return to this kind of camera, even though they may have their "better" applications. After six years now of using the Leica M9 and then the M240, I'm so completely adapted to them that it would be all but impossible for this 62-year old to go back to using a DSLR. Anyone else have similar experiences? I'm just going to have to double down on the time I spend getting better and faster with the 280mm, which produces delicious results when nailing the shot.

I would certainly take a look at the Sony A7II for using longer lenses as you will find that the IBIS system really helps when it comes to focussing as even in magnified mode the image is stabilised. Focussing my apo-telyt 135 f3.5 has become doddle with this camera

Many friends have been telling me I'm crazy to even try and suggest getting a Nikon D810 or the new Canon 5DSR with fast lenses that autofocus, or even step down to one of the better DX-level DSLR cameras for the crop factor and high speed shutters.

The D810 and 5DSR would be the wrong choices if you mind their size & weight. Fortunately, both Nikon and Canon have introduced smaller, leaner, lighter full-frame cameras: the D750 and the 6D.

I have to agree David ........

All the huge expensive heavy Nikon lenses have gone ...... my old Nikon body and solitary 85/1.4 has never been out of a cupboard in 5 years ...... the Sony A7r and lenses had only a few hundred exposures on the clock before it was retired to the safe as possibly one of the most irritatingly annoying little cameras I have ever used.

I am not a professional photographer .... if I do not actually ENJOY using the equipment I have then the whole exercise of taking photos is pointless...... :rolleyes:

Like you, I think this is a one-way trip.......:)

My background is Nikon SLRs, and I had a brief flirtation with a Nikon D800E and long lenses, and the Sony A7r - dead end for me.

The thing is, once I got my head around the 21-90 range of lenses, fine primes and a rangefinder, I just had zero interest in huge, heavy, complex alternatives. The simplicity of an M camera, a prime and a spare in your pocket is just a joy. I take more pictures, and frankly an M camera is so much more unobtrusive than the alternatives. People look, ask and don't feel even remotely threatened.

Cheers

John

I used to take very nice (in my opinion) photos of race cars out on the track with my 10fps bursting DSLR and big white lenses. Lovely panning shots with lots of wheel blur, gravel being kicked into the air, etc.

But one time I shot a close up pic of a young driver cradling his head in his hands because he was so gutted over having crashed his car, and that photo got far more feedback than any of the action photos I was most proud of... it hit me that I was going about this all wrong.

• Like 2