Is there a new M on the way?

w44neg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm currently considering an M-240. I've noticed a lot of deals around of late, and I wondered if this is due to a new release being imminent, or at least rumoured?

To be honest the 240 is still very tempting but if a new release is going to happen soon, I'd like to give myself the choice I suppose, so I'd wait.

Of course there is. There is always another camera coming along. Why should Leica stop making improvements? And of course, why should they stop making silly cameras with no LCD screen or strap lugs?

Why, even today, I'll bet there are some folks holding out for the Leica M NS. NS standing for No Shutter. Who needs a shutter when you can use a lens cap? If it was good enough in 1864, it's good enough today. ;-)

The M240 was announced at Photokina 2012 iirc and first shipments were March 2013. If one were announced this year it's appearance may well take several months. I would purchase it and enjoy, if a new one is announced the M240 will continue to perform admirably.

What Daryl said.

We know that there will be a successor to the M240/M-P at some point in time, but who knows when that will be. It could be this spring or it could be this fall. Or it could be not until Photokina 2016. After it is released, it will probably be six months later before they will actually be on dealer's shelves and available to buyers.

None of that helps if you want/need a digital M within a reasonable amount of time...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The MP model usually marks the half-way run of the model, the Safari marks two years. Usually a new model every three years, so except first delivery March 2016. And then the question is how long time there will be backorder. The M240 didn't become real available till March 2014.

Give or take.

The new M is four new Sonys away. Unfortunately, it will cost four times as much.

Let me do the financial forecast: Upgrading race with 4 Sonys* $2000 = $8000 in 15 months. 50% depreciation in 12 months for each = $4000 loss. Lens cost Sony: unknown, but high, since they still have to fill their lens line gaps.

Leica M (new version) $ 7000 in 2016. 30% depreciation in 15 months = $2100 loss of value by end of 2017. Lens cost Leica: none for me, I have all I ever wanted.

IIRC the M9 shipped quite soon after it was officially unveiled. The M240 took a while because of some production issues that Leica couldn't meet the demand in a timely manner. Nobody can predict exactly when the successor will come, what it's specs will be, or how quickly it will ship. If being the first on the block with the latest model is a priority, and paying top dollar for it and being an early adopter aka volunteer beta tester doesn't concern you then I would recommend waiting. If you're the type who will quickly trade the M240 at a significant loss soon after the new model comes, then I would recommend waiting. If you are like me and don't mind to stay a generation behind to save thousands of dollars, then I would recommend buying a demo or certified pre-owned M240 now and then do the same sometime in mid-production-run of the new model. YMMV.

Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm currently considering an M-240. I've noticed a lot of deals around of late, and I wondered if this is due to a new release being imminent, or at least rumoured?

To be honest the 240 is still very tempting but if a new release is going to happen soon, I'd like to give myself the choice I suppose, so I'd wait.

Yes, there is almost certainly going to be a new M at some point, most likely in the next year or two.

If you buy an M tomorrow it's unlikely that you'll find out a new version is released next week.

Leica could tell you for certain, but of course they won't!

Of course there'll be a new version, sometime in the future, maybe even close future, who knows?

But if this camera meets your needs and expectations, who cares? It will not stop functioning abruptly and continue to churn out the images you bought it for.

• Like 2

My interest in the new model wanes slightly because the sensor and electronics of the M240 are generally bullet proof, especially as compared to the M9 and M8.

I would upgrade but it would need to have a significant dose of new technology covering many functions of the camera.

I am a bit partial to the new Safari version though ... hmmm .... :o

But they did not have the new efficient factories back then...

Yest but surely those new efficient factories are still far too busy repairing the thousands of self degrading sensors in old M9's to be thinking about making anything new yet!;)