Are There Trouble Free M(240)s?

At the risk of jinxing myself, so far both mine have been fine. One was a demo, the other a pre-owned-certified, so ostensibly they were checked out at Leica before being sent out to the dealers (but I have no firsthand knowledge of what Leica's actual protocol is wrt to that) and AFAIK there is no way to accurately determine how many actuations are on them. However they were both cosmetically pristine so I tend to think they were not used much if at all. That said, my M9 and M8 before it were also problem-free for the duration I owned them.

• Like 1

First the most important, mine has been absolutely trouble free since june 2013 :).

Second, it's very easy finding pages describing differnet problems with the Leica M and finding unhappy owner etc, etc, but my experience is that people tend to write only if they actually have a problem. Very few people post just how happy they are with a product. I believe no matter which product you look at (car, camera, computer, etc) you can find both happy and unhappy owners. My general impression is that there is actually very little problems with the cameras today. There are of course some things which could be better (like more buffer and a better EVF), but this is more "features" than actual "problems. Bottomline is that it is still a damn good camera for it's main purpose, being a manual focus simple rangefinder camera.

I can draw a parallell to my own field, heavy industrial diesel engines. I used to work as a service manager, my job was actually to talk to and assist "unhappy customers" each and every day (gets tiresome after a few years), switching to new engine sales made me realize how very little problems we actually had with the engines, but during mine time in service one could easily get the impression that we only had problems with the engines. Today we have a saying, "as long as you don't hear anything, everything is fine" :p

//Joakim

• Like 8

No problems with my M 240 - but I did not have either with my M 9. Lucky men - obviously - I am. At least in this respect. But perhaps the most are very happy with their M 240 - but the don´t cry it out. Wheras, these who have troubles - and that can ever be, and with every product do this, which is quite understandable.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input and I hope none of you have jinxed yourself by saying you haven't had any problems. I've been sitting on the sidelines since the M(240) was released to see if major problems surfaced, as they have with the M8 and M9. I've really wanted to get the M(240) but kept backing out after reading here about lock-ups and exposure problems. I've now decided to go ahead with it and just hope my experience is the same as those who posted in this thread.

Cheers,