Images in SD card not showing up on LCD screen

Tytan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

Am a new owner of a Leica M-P (Typ 240).

The thread title requires some background details ... bear with me...

I shot several test (3 to be exact) images with my M-P.

I remove the SD card from the camera, slot it into my MacBookPro, click open the SD card icon, and double click on the 1st DNG file ... this opens up Camera RAW and i proceed to process the file. The processed file opens in Photoshop and i save it as a TIFF onto my desktop. (Note: I did not copy the any files from the SD card onto my hard drive. I simply open up the DNG file straight from the SD card.)

I then unmount the SD card from my MacBook and slot it back into the M-P.

I switch on my M-P, and when i press Play to review the images, the 1st image (which was processed earlier) doesn't show up on the LCD screen, it simply lists the file name, without any image showing up. However, the other 2 images (which weren't processed) show up as per normal on the LCD screen.

Is this usual?

Thank you.

I usually use a card reader, even though my MBPro & iMac have SD card slots. When the card opens I Copy the images to a new folder on my Desktop. After that I can PP, I never delete/format the card until I start my next shoot...Sounds like your PP App pulled the file from the SD card..check your PP App settings. I would call Leica and check with them, it may be a known issue, maybe even a simple work around option..

• Like 1

I can share my process:

1. Remove SD card from camera and LOCK it.

2. Insert into SD card reader (that my computer happens to have) or a card reader.

3. Create a descriptive directory on my hard disk.

4. Copy the files from the SD card to this directory.

5. Copy this directory to a second drive.

6. Set SD card aside until image files are verified in the raw processing software (Capture One, in my case).

7. Unlock and format the card in the camera (quick version).

Have had no problems with files using this process.

Regards to all, Bill

Thank you all for sharing your insights and your process.

I think i need to elaborate more.

The file that isn't "showing up" (as in, i don't see a preview of the image, only a blank screen with the image's file number appearing) on the camera LCD screen, it isn't lost or gone. If i were to slot the SD card into my Mac or card reader, the file is still there, and totally fine.

I do usually copy all the files from my SD card onto my hard drive, and work from there. That's my usual process as well.

However, in some instances where i've just taken a few test shots, and simply want to view them quickly, I will skip the 'copying of the files onto hard drive', and access the DNG file straight from the SD card.

So here's what i've noticed.

- I open Adobe Bridge, and select a DNG file straight from the SD card.

- Double click on the file and that opens up Camera RAW window.

- I then process the image by clicking either Save Image or Open Image.

- When i place the SD card back into the camera, this particular image that i've processed doesn't show up on the LCD screen, only a blank screen with it's file number appears, indicating the file is still there, just no preview of the image.

- Images that were previously on the SD card, but i did not process nor do anything to them .. they show up on the LCD screen as per normal.

HOWEVER, if i were to use CaptureOne Pro instead of AdobeBridge/CameraRAW, and process an image straight from the SD card, the image that was processed shows up (as per normal) on the camera LCD screen.

Maybe it's AdobeRAW that's doing something to the file during/after the image processing is done.

On a slightly unrelated note, when i access the raw file on CaptureOne Pro straight from the SD card, CaptureOne Pro doesn't allow me to make any adjustments to the image (colour, exposure, contrast, etc...), it just allows me to process the file as it is.

This whole issue isn't really a problem for me, cos i usually copy all my files onto my hard drive. And when the SD card goes back into the camera, i format it straight away.

It's just an odd thing to happen that i've not come across with my Canon system..

Edited by Tytan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Have you locked the sd card?

The computer (in this case, you report, PS may be the culprit) may be writing to the card.

I have been warned about this with regard to Mac's.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Nope, i did not lock the sd card.

I guess it's different softwares doing different things.

With Adobe CameraRAW, i can make adjustments to the DNG file straight off the SD card, but once i process the image, the image preview of said image doesn't show up on the camera LCD screen.

With CaptureOnePro, i can't make adjustments to the file straight off the SD card, but even after processing, the image preview still shows up on the camera LCD screen.

Have you locked the sd card?

The computer (in this case, you report, PS may be the culprit) may be writing to the card.

I have been warned about this with regard to Mac's.

Bill

That is exactly what I think. Some of the post processing is being saved to the SD card. I never post process unless I have saved the file to my computer hard drive. I use a Mac Pro

• Like 1

I have just tried this using a Mac with an M9: Showing the files on the SD card using Adobe Bridge, then opening in bridge to Photoshop (ACR), adjusting with one slider, saving.

In camera, only the file name is shown. Other DNG files on the SD are not effected. I thought it might be due to the modificatin date, so I used Unix 'touch' to change the modified date of all files on the SD. Result it is the same: whle all files show new modified date, only the edited DMG is effected in camera. ) OS X does drill farther into the file to make a creation date but I did not look. I doubt it matters to the camera.)

Unix finds no new or updated invisible (hidden) files. (ls -a)

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

The conclusion appears to be that Adobe Bridge rewrites the DNG file, and that it does it in a way which renders the file unusable by the camera. I.e., it seems to write another preview image into the DNG file.

It is a sound doctrine not to process images on the SD card if you want to use the SD card in the camera.

• Like 1

The conclusion appears to be that Adobe Bridge rewrites the DNG file, and that it does it in a way which renders the file unusable by the camera.

Close.

Another test without using Bridge caused the issue. Opening in Photoshop causes Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) to open the image first. I changed the image in ACR, then pressed the 'Done' button (not 'Cancel', not 'Open') and the card image was effected - no preview on the camera, but still good for the computer.

(All under OSX)

• Like 4

This has been a known "feature" of the M digitals for a long time. If you process from the SD card something is written to the image file that precents it from appearing. You will see just the name of the file. This is, in other words, "normal" behavior. The files are there; nothing was lost; but the camera cannot display them. Better practice is to copy the files to computer and work from there.

• Like 1