Lenny Kravitz Edition - cool, pretentious, or hoax?

Winedemonium

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Okay, probably not a hoax, as we know he uses a Leica M and a special edition from him has been rumoured.

But it's not on Leicarumors yet, and not on the Leica website yet, that I can see...

So, presuming this image is real, what do you think? I personally love the idea of brassed up old black cameras and lenses... but this isn't. It's brand new. Does that make it too affected in style - too pretentious, too "poseur"?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Image pulled from leading Hong Kong dealer, Fotopia

You could argue it both ways, it's a camera for collectors who want to look like they take photographs, or it's a camera for collectors who want a camera to use without worrying about scratching it. But it's clearly not a camera for everyday photographers.

The artificial wear isn't new in high end goods, Fender have the 'Relic' and 'Time Worn' finishes for their expensive guitars and many people say they play better. A camera with some wear whether artificial or genuine is less likely to be babied and pampered in cases and fitted bags, so is potentially more likely to be used, but if it takes better photographs is a relative question.

Steve

• Like 1

it is something I am personally unable to to appreciate or see any value of. It has absolutely nothing to do with photography or a camera product that I am interested in. If Leica can sell them - good for them - and that must be good for all of us who appreciate Leica as a great tool.

• Like 1

I agree Christian. I actually have no issue with Leica issuing all these 'special edition' cameras. It's their thing, and if it makes them money, long live Leica!

I agree too Steve - less likely to be babied if it is already all brassed up.

Personally I prefer the idea of brassing up my own cameras, from new, scuffing and wearing new jeans (Ulrik), and so on, but I'm not strict on that idea. It all comes down to aesthetics and preferences.

If I was ever to have bought a special edition it would have been that M60 - it offered something tangible that couldn't be got any other way.

Incidentally, when people send their old M film cameras to experts in Japan for repainting, often they ask for a 'not new' look - some light brassing, and so on.

All good horses must be ridden first.

Therefore, you can send me your new Leica and I will do this job for you.

Of course for very little money - so it will be much cheaper than any Special Edition.:D

All good horses must be ridden first.

Therefore, you can send me your new Leica and I will do this job for you.

Of course for very little money - so it will be much cheaper than any Special Edition.:D

You mean if I give you a brand new M-P 240, a brand new 35mm Summicron, and a brand new 50mm Summilux, you will thrash them to death for me for a couple of years, and not actually charge me much money, compared to the Lenny Kravitz set? That's very kind of you. And will you also get me one of these '70s style cases, and sleep on it for a few weeks to give it that hardened 'reportage' look? :p

Leica Rumors have caught up with the story. Strange that it was on my local unofficial dealer's website first as a pre-order item.

120 sets apparently.

Also, looks like they are doing another 'LHSA' style 50mm Summilux - i.e. the modern 50 Lux ASPH. but in the original (v1, v2) barrel. Kinda cool.

Apparently my US$20,000 guess is a bit modest...

I think the dealer got the same OS X 10.10.2 update that I got this morning.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Like stone-washed, used-washed or shotgun-denim jeans. Poseur. Nothing that I would tolerate as a tool-making camera company.

Ulrik

Well yes, but there have been plenty of images of Leicas here in the forum where the brassing has been...ah..."assisted". It's hard to get a truely random-ish effect with emery cloth. Mr. Kravitz hardly deserves Leica's granting of first dibs. :)

Sell them all as blems for 50% off,

s-a

• Like 1

This offering can't be much worse than what we buy into when we get a black paint Leica.

My local rep who has been with Leica for over 20 years told me the other day that that Leica uses black paint rather than black chrome because, they feel their customers want their camera to wear and brass.

A Leica man doesn't want his M to stay pristine. When a Leica man takes his camera out of the cabinet to shoot Kitty, he wants it to look like he has actually used it.

The beautiful flat black finish on, say the M4, holds up much too well for the Leica man that puts gaffers tape on his M and deliberately polishes off the edges... and then posts pictures on this forum.

So, you get from Leica what you ask for. Don't completely blame Leica.

Rick

Edited by RickLeica
  • Like 9