Slight delay on shutter release

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've just started to experience a problem with the shutter release on one of my M bodies. Metering / switch on is no problem, but the shutter release requires quite significant extra pressure than before to actuate. Completely different response on body #2.

a. has anyone else had this experience?

b. have you been able to fix it?

c. if not - I assume it's a case of getting in touch with Andrea at Leica :(

Grateful for any thoughts (I'm NOT considering giving it a quick spray with WD40 - though I have used a blower on the cable release screw). Well, you never know!

Edited by chris_tribble

If I recall correctly there is no mechanical actuation from the shutter release as part of the weather resistant improvements on the new M body.

Must be something inside the camera itself ...... either the shutter actuator is on the blink or the shutter depression recognition part of the electronics is faulty.

No easy solutions. A trip back to the nest I fear ....:o

Update. The delay is definitely a problem, though one which Leica Mayfair hadn't seen before. The camera's on its way back to Solms and they reckon 7 or 8 weeks turn round. The good news is that I've been able to get a loaner M from Leica Mayfair, so a problem hasn't become a disaster (i have a major assignment in India in two weeks time!

So if anyone starts to notice the need to use undue pressure to release the shutter I'd strongly recommend getting it in for repair. Particularly important if you're coming to the end of the two year warranty - which I am.

Yes, I have started experiencing the same problem with m M-P. First happened during a trip in December, when the camera was about one month old. Typically, when I half press the shutter release and then try to finish the finger movement to take the picture, nothing happens and I need to press quite hard. Very annoying. Especially since it seems to occur on and off. I took the camera to the dealer last week. They said they had not heard about the problem and we could not replicate it in the shop. I was told to buy a soft release. One of those situations when one starts losing confidence in the product.

Albiero - I'd strongly recommend going back to your dealer and:

a. asking them to compare your camera with one they have in stock...

b. once you have demonstrated that there's a problem, then ask them to send it back to Leica AND to lend you a replacement.

If you don't get satisfaction on this report directly to Leica (Andrea Frankl) and I'm sure they will do their best to help.

DON'T settle for a softie as an unsatisfactory solution - and DO keep faith in the product. This has arisen for me after two years of intensive, and very positive use.

• Like 1