Steadying the M for video

erudolph

Two shots of 80 proof alcohol works for me, but I'm lucky to have Essential Tremor due to age. :)

Serious answer is to tuck your elbows tight to your side, then use post-production software to smooth it out. Your breathing motion is likely regular, easy to regulate in output.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sounds like you all think I should lay in a beanbag chair and have a drink.

No, but please tell us if it works.

Seriously, do what you wish and if image stabilization is an issue, then at this time it would be best to look for something other than Leica. Video cameras excel at it with compromised single framing. If you want the best of both worlds, the the cost of a Leica will be trivial.

My only use for the M is for interview video, and here a tripod is essential. For results, an interesting example can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4D7jQZf63o

I didn't do the edit, but all interview footage was shot with M + mainly 50 Lux Asph. Audio was recorded via an Oly hotshoe adaptor and long cable to tieclip mike. The client was happy and so was I. Only light assistance was a small circular reflector.

• Like 1

Paulmac - It's the OLY tieclip + adapter and a no name long cable between. I think the electrics are identical to the Leica branded version. I've been impressed by sound from this (for my purposes) so long as the subject doesn't bang stuff against it, or tuck it under a lapel...Certainly no hum or unexpected background noise - and reasonably selective too. Tripod in this case was a Gitzo Traveller with a standard QR head. What I've found seriously useful has been the ability to do normal reportage work for clients + static interview. No panning, no zoom - just a talking head with my voice edited out for publication. Clients are very happy with the quality and it seriously extends the kinds of project you can take on while NOT forcing you to carry extra kit. A big plus (for me) for the M240 over the M9.

I don't enjoy the video process particularly, and have to limit the client's expectations regarding what's possible - but it's still good for the business.

• Like 2

I shot this 2 days ago.

https://vimeo.com/home/myvideos

The clip is the first time, ever, for any reason using the video mode on my M-P240. Telyt 400 6.8 lens, really stopped down to f22-32. Also used a Visoflex, Gitzo tripod, Linhof head.

Pleased with the results.

I am very excited to look forward to shooting by hand with my other lenses. The Leica quality never ceases to please me.

Rafael

Edited by rafael_macia
  • Like 1