Dust on the M sensor

Uncle M

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I got my M last december, and since then it has been necessary to get the sensor cleaned by the local Leica dealer several times. I seldom change lenses, and if I do, it is done quick and indoor in low dust environment. So I can't figure what the problem is. The sensor now needs cleaning again - about 40 spots of dust scattered all over it.

Has any of you met the same problem?

If yes, what have you done to solve it?

-Erik-

Dust is a way of life on a digital M. If it's just dust a good quality hurricane blower will cost you a few dollars and takes a few seconds to use. For something nicer an Artic butterfly brush creates a static charge that "sucks" the dust off the sensor" For stubborn grime you may want to learn how to wet clean a sensor. Takes a couple of swabs, cleaning solution and 5 minutes of your day.

I use my blower every few days, my butterfly once a fortnight and wet clean a few times a year. Easy peezy.

Gordon

• Like 2

A new sensor is very heavy on static electricity and attracts dust readily. Also a few spots of oil splatter may get there from the shutter lubrication. In time it dissipates and becomes much less of a problem. It would be more less of a drain on time and money if you cleaned it yourself. There are a lot of threads and help here on this forum on exactly how to do that.

Best of luck and happy shooting with it.

I got mine in July and so far according to the dust-finder menu utility there isn't even a single spot. Admittedly I haven't had it in really dusty conditions, and I'm used to changing lenses against my body and quickly, but in truth none of my digital cameras with focal plane shutters have ever accumulated dust. Only the ones like the Nex 6 where the sensor is exposed when the lens is off. And as far as oil spots, my M240 was a Leica factory demo, so I assume if there was any initial oil splatter it was over and done with and the sensor cleaned before it was sent out to be sold.

, what have you done to solve it?

Clean the sensor yourself. Then you can go anywhere you like whether dusty or not, you don't have to go indoors to change lenses, and you can change lenses as many times as you want to, and you are in control which has to be the biggest bonus doesn't it?

Dust is something that has to be dealt with by the user on a camera without a self cleaning sensor, but it's something Nikon and Canon users have needed to do for many years so it can't be difficult can it?

Steve

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If yes, what have you done to solve it?

-Erik-

Cleaned it...

I use a rubber blower and a rubber stamp, sometimes a Green Clean vacuum cleaner. After wet cleaning it once in the first few months it has never needed a wet clean any more.

Read the FAQ for an extensive description.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m-type-240/308500-leica-m8-m8-2-m9-m9p.html

• Like 1

Thank you everyone. I will try your advices and clean the sensor myself. So far I have just used a rubber blower but without good results - I am just moving the dust to new places on the sensor.

By the way my local Leica dealer has wet-cleaned the sensor for free (3 times).

-Erik-

Strange but both of my 240's have never needed cleaning. My newest one I bought almost a year ago and have used it the most. I have certainly changed lenses a lot but I do not recall needing to fix spots on my images.

Well if you shoot wide open or never stop down beyond f4 you may never see them. I you never use LV also things can be better as the sensor is less exposed to crud floating around inside the camera /shutter chamber.

Personally I use the eyelead sensor cleaner when necessary and when really bad take it to leica mayfair for a free clean

I use a rocket blower and Arctic butterfly. For stubborn stuff, I used to use the sticky pads like eyelead, but got careless once and left a smear - I avoid them now, on the basis that they are not compatible with me. For my first wet clean I mistakenly bought the water-based cleaner, which just left the sensor with more smears than I started with. The alcohol wet cleaner works well though.

What really helps me judge what level of cleaning is needed, is an illuminated magnifying loupe. I find it helps see what's there much better than the naked eye.

Edited by LocalHero1953