M 240 : Is this a light leak ?

chounws

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I got sometime the phenomena that seem to me a light leak as you can see on the below picture.

It always happen on the location below left near to the left below corner but not in all pictures, not only one lens but it happen only on the bright sun light when the sun is over the head to my back. If no strong sun light then not happen, never happen under the shadow.

On this picture, on the left below near to the corner over the green water you can see a small area with light pink cast over it.

Need help or comment on what could happen and how to cure it from you guys, thank you very much.

Choun

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thank you Jaapv,

The lens is Super-Elmar 21mm ASPH with it 6 bits code auto reading, with protection filter B&W and it hood on.

The next angle sequence picture also happen as this one.

and the nex picture show if me and camera are under the shadow then it will not happen.

Edited by chounws

You might use what others have to see if it is a light leak and that is a rubber band around the mount or a black hair tie-back band. It might sound goofy but it will certainly block light trying to get into the lens mount. Let us know how it comes out.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I did tried to reproduced my phenomena light leak but the photos taken during bright sun never happen. Just by now I did shooting on the tripod with hood cover on and the point the torch light in to the eyepiece viewfinder then it happen. The first picture is when put the light on and next one is when it off. That why I feeling that it always happen when the sun is behind me and it seem together with life view on the screen.

So using a rubberband does not seem to be an option - take your camera to Leica, they should be able to fix it.

Thanks but Thailand is on the other side of the world, It will take too long and costly I think, I can live with it and if I use EVF in stead of LCD display for live view it should be OK.

:)

Thanks but Thailand is on the other side of the world, It will take too long and costly I think, I can live with it and if I use EVF in stead of LCD display for live view it should be OK.

:)

i know the way to Wetzlar is very long - but i thought there was some company trading Leicas in SE Asia. They should have an idea how to fix it, or, if they can't, exchange it for a camer that is fully functional.

At Leica pricepoint having to use workarounds should not be the way to go - in fact at no pricepoint at al a camera which is not usable in all possible ways it was designed to be used is inacceptable.

• Like 1

Excellent diagnostics detective work!

Perhaps you can add an eye-cup to shield the space between your eye, eye-glasses and viewfinder. I have the cups but cannot remember where I got them. Will look around.

• Like 1

Were there not a couple of reports of similar problems in the early days of the M8 and it was found to be a misplaced/loose seal between the rangefinder compartment and the sensor chamber.

Wilson

• Like 1

Excellent diagnostics detective work!

Perhaps you can add an eye-cup to shield the space between your eye, eye-glasses and viewfinder. I have the cups but cannot remember where I got them. Will look around.

Thanks, I quite sure that if the sun light not straigth through the rangfinder viewfinder then should have no problem it mean whenever I use rangefinder to view and shooting this phenomena will not happen because my head will block the light, that what I recalled that the shots happen mostly the shoot I using LCD live view, I will keep on testing for sure and if difference from this will let your guys know.

Regards,

Choun