High ISO banding

edwardkaraa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm getting sometimes substantial banding at high iso, worst at 3200 and pushed 6400 (though I normally push from 3200 in ACR). The banding isn't always there, some days I get it, some days I don't, which is strange.

I remember not all M9 had it, and mine certainly didn't while I know others who got severe banding issues with their copies. But strangely it seems all M(240) suffer from it consistently?

Is there any info about what causes it with the M? Memory card? Sensor heat? ... Etc.

Thanks!

Edward

Edited by edwardkaraa

Thank you David. Today I shot the whole afternoon indoors at iso 3200 with no banding whatsoever. But when it shows up, it lasts the whole shoot. It's unpredictable.

I think it would be worthwhile to know what exactly causes the banding in the M, it might be curable at the source.

Indeed that is also my experience. Not necessarily in underexposed shots though, as long as there are dark areas in the scene.

I am trying to understand what triggers it, because I have shots with dark areas that do not show banding.

So far I suspect it may be one of the memory cards. I keep on switching them between shoots, so there may be one that causes the banding. I will try to keep track of which card is being used when banding occurs.

See this post on how to get rid of the high iso banding easily: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m-type-240/352178-m9-m-p-240-first-impressions.html#post2824564

And this describes the procedure in step-by-step: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m-type-240/352178-m9-m-p-240-first-impressions.html#post2824851

It's very normal for this sensor, and it doesn't matter what memory card or not you use... It will show up in some exposures no matter what.

• Like 1