Leica recently released firmware 2.0.1.7 with the additional changes:

Support of the new lenses:

Leica Summarit-M 35mm f/2.4 ASPH.

Leica Summarit-M 50mm f/2.4

Leica Summarit-M 75mm f/2.4

Leica Summarit-M 90mm f/2.4

Downloads // Support // Service & Support - Leica Camera AG

---

Just updated my M240 from 2.0.1.5. My settings and profiles was left intact. Will be interesting to see or hear if there are some undocumented changes and/or improvements as well.

Edited by indergaard
  • Like 2

The one thing I am very disappointed not to find, is a correction for the GPS mess. In the 2.0.1.5 update, Leica screwed the pooch, by changing the deletion of the last position to just five minutes instead of the previous 24 hours, which I felt worked just fine. This basically makes GPS unusable, as the aerial is so feeble that it only occasionally picks up a signal and usually takes five minutes or more to do so. When I am travelling now, I usually find I get a GPS position in about only 30% or less of my images. Leica I understood, had agree to implement an alteration to a far more sensible 2 or 3 hour deletion delay but it does not seem to have been implemented in this update, so the expensive GPS continues to be more or less useless. :(

Too busy working out how to minimise their legal liabilities for M9 and MM owners whose camera have been built with faulty sensors, I suppose.

Wilson

• Like 1

You must have a better memory than me then. For example in Taiwan over the last few weeks I have photographs of at least ten different temples. In a year's time, unless they are plotted on a map, I will be totally unable to identify which one was where and put it into context. Unfortunately as GPS did not start up on half of the images (in narrow streets), I will have to either caption them all or just go along with the fact that it's a nice looking temple but goodness knows where.

What I do object to, is that I have paid a considerable sum for the GPS and it used to work OK but due to Leica's stupidity, they have disabled it by an error on the firmware update some months ago, without testing if it worked (it doesn't). Leica still have not taken the trouble to correct their admitted error. It can only be one line of code to change the deletion period from 5 minutes to 180 minutes (or it may be measured as a number of seconds). This was pointed out by me some four months ago to Leica and they agreed it needed to be changed as soon as possible. Well they had an opportunity when they amended the firmware for the "new" Summarits and I assume they have forgotten about it - wonderful!

Wilson

• Like 3

I'm just curious but except for someone taking photos for intelligence recon, what practical use is knowing what GPS coordinates pictures were shot at? I mean, I can look at pics I shot 30 yrs ago and remember where they were taken, country and city.

I have travelled over 24 states in a period of 12 months taking forensic, documentation and progress photos of a myriad selection of details, sections, parts of buildings, machinery and other things. The GPS, for me, was invaluable.

Interesting! I had no idea GPS was more than a gimmick to be used just because it's available. I did used to keep a little spiral notebook in my bag to record the location of some shots. But as I think about it, out on a hike in the wilds it might have been informative to have coordinates in case I or someone wanted to return to a precise vantage point.

I agree that if GPS is an available function, it should be expected to perform correctly.

I often take drives in rural or small town locations, and after meandering for hours, I don't always know if I'm technically in the same town/county as when I started. I like to note locations for my catalogued pics and prints, so any assistance is appreciated. Admittedly, though, I usually just take a pic of the closest intersection (hoping it's marked) and check online map software when I get home to record in LR.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I'm just curious but except for someone taking photos for intelligence recon, what practical use is knowing what GPS coordinates pictures were shot at? I mean, I can look at pics I shot 30 yrs ago and remember where they were taken, country and city.

Goodie for you, but some of us are hooked into exact locations which we can use now, and pass onto our heirs.

For me the GPS solution is to have a dedicated GPS (I use delorme while hiking) create the tracks and then use LR5 to add the coordinates to my pictures. In LR5 it is as simple as dragging the pics on the track. :)

For non hiking situations, I take a shot from my phone (which records the coordinates better and more accurate) and then in LR point my camera pic to same coordinate. I have read a lot about inaccuracy of camera GPS (startup time etc.) and probably external GPS is better,

Edited by jmahto

For me the GPS solution is to have a dedicated GPS (I use delorme while hiking) create the tracks and then use LR5 to add the coordinates to my pictures. In LR5 it is as simple as dragging the pics on the track. :)

For non hiking situations, I take a shot from my phone (which records the coordinates better and more accurate) and then in LR point my camera pic to same coordinate. I have read a lot about inaccuracy of camera GPS (startup time etc.) and probably external GPS is better,

Well unless I'm mistaken the M240 needs the add-on multifunction grip to do GPS, right? So in effect it is an external GPS.

Goodie for you, but some of us are hooked into exact locations which we can use now, and pass onto our heirs.

Yes, I see it. In the post-apocalyptic world of the future, things like "downtown Omaha" will be meaningless and GPS coordinates will be the only way for our future generations to know where we took a photo. Of course that's assuming the HD containing the pictures survives the apocalypse :p

• Like 1