Finally, a great strap for M (...and X and T)

Carbon111

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have bought many straps over the years, trying to find the "perfect" one for my Ms (M6, M8, M9 M240) and after trying many of the favored ones have finally settled on the Zhou strap. It is 42" long and is not adjustable - that's its beauty.

To be clear, I have a premium Leica strap mint in box if someone wants it but the very thing that makes it adjustable makes it cumbersome and less-than-elegant - the adjustment mechanism is very fiddly and not especially nice-looking. I've tried Luigi's strap off of eBay and found his quality of leather rather wanting. I have a Gariz strap and find the "slides" that cover the buckles are rather "pokey" and annoying. I have an Artisan & Artist strap and am flummoxed at how awfully short it is...and it seems they don't make anything longer. This is odd, because at 5'2", I'm not particularly tall, but I don't want a camera dangling just a couple inches below my chin. Forget having the camera at your hip.

Worth looking into if you're anything like me anyway. Doesn't break the bank either:

Zhou Oneknot Neck Strap Redstitch for Leica Nikon Canon | eBay

Edited by Carbon111
  • Like 1

I'm partial to Luigi's. I had a Zhou and thought it of lesser quality and I like being able to make adjustments -- even if only once.

I don't wax rhapsodic about straps. I have used straps for 55 years now and I haven't found one yet that improved my images.

Bags are a different matter . . .:)

• Like 3

IZhou strap. It is 42" long and is not adjustable - that's its beauty.

at 5'2", I'm not particularly tall, but I don't want a camera dangling just a couple inches below my chin. Forget having the camera at your hip.

I'm a lot taller than 5-2 and a 42" strap (around my neck) would have the camera hanging so the LCD was hitting my belt buckle. I bought a nonadjustable Leica X2 leather strap (thankfully only $11 used with tags still on it) which I couldn't use for that reason. I also don't see why Zhou's non-adjustable strap needs sliders/keepers or what that little extra loop of narrower leather is for just past the slider...adornment?

• Like 1

I'm partial to Luigi's. I had a Zhou and thought it of lesser quality and I like being able to make adjustments -- even if only once.

I don't wax rhapsodic about straps. I have used straps for 55 years now and I haven't found one yet that improved my images.

Bags are a different matter . . .:)

Gods, don't get me started on bags. I stare at camera bags almost just as much as I stare at cameras and lenses.

Those Billinghams... yum..

• Like 1

I bought the Leica Ultravid (binoculars) neck / shoulder strap for my M240.

There's multiple models of this strap, each for the small-medium-large binoculars.

I bought the large version, which has wide strap-leads that connects to the camera's rings.

The strap is quite wide at 40mm (1.5") which brilliantly spreads the load across one's neck.

It's mainly made of the ultrafine nylon webbing that Leica uses, with a pleasant leather neck pad, and is therefore very light wight.

For those here who remember the "Leica Digilux-2" neck strap, this binoculars version is a wider/sturdier variation.

• Like 1

I voted for Gordy's ! With a simple color recall, I know exactly which camera I pull out of the bag...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

In my opinion, the best Leica strap by far is the one supplied with the X1/X2/X Vario - a simple, one-piece black leather design. I like it because it's understated, flexible, non-adjustable, not too wide or thick, and has no hard metal or plastic bits to scratch your camera. For me it's perfect!

In my opinion, the best Leica strap by far is the one supplied with the X1/X2/X Vario - a simple, one-piece black leather design. I like it because it's understated, flexible, non-adjustable, not too wide or thick, and has no hard metal or plastic bits to scratch your camera. For me it's perfect!

How long is it?

Elmar