Quite unhappy customer

JHAG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Brand new M-240 has sensor problem… :mad:

I'm apparently not the only one…

Leica M (240) sensor fault?: Leica Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hmm.. typical DPR. A confusion of vertical stripes (brand independent) and horizontal ones (undetermined but most likely a sporadic problem) Leica replaces/remaps free of charge though...

I was in Wetzlar 10 days ago to have the M240 frontfocus rectified and controlled with all my lenses.

Couldn't they double check this ? Really…:confused:

Now I will have to send it in, wait who knows how much time to get it back. Absurd.

In the past, Leica (USA) and the indie repair people mostly refused to repair isolated issues, instead requiring a complete service along with. They did it to avoid having to tear the camera down again at their expense, but at the same time it avoided extra aggravation and downtime for the customer too.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had that problem on my first M240. It was only present at ISO 640 for some reason. Leica replaced the camera for me, the the replacement wasn't without its faults, the rangefinder was off a little. So eventually, they sent the second camera back to Germany for adjustment.

I do love the camera, but as someone who converted from DSL (Nikon), I had nowhere near the technical issues I've had with my Leica equipment.

• Like 1

I do love the camera, but as someone who converted from DSL (Nikon), I had nowhere near the technical issues I've had with my Leica equipment.

I guess I've just been lucky so far, because in 45 years of using Leicas I really haven't had much trouble with them, including M8, 9 and 240. Can't predict what might happen tomorrow of course.

We don't get many misfocus out of the box complaints any more. Not good.

Hey Jaap, my "M" had serious back focus out of the (sealed) box and a mini "Sahara" on the sensor... :)

It is a digital problem, obviously, as film cameras don't have pixels, so obviously the only 100% solution is to shoot film. Other cameras have user-accessible remapping utilities though, which at least mitigates needing to ship the camera back and wait weeks for a simple operation. I personally would be willing to sign a waiver to Leica stating I acknowledge I might lose some theoretical performance by using the remapping utility instead of having them replace the sensor, if as you've stated before, that's Leica's beef with providing it in firmware.

Edited by bocaburger

It is a digital problem, obviously, as film cameras don't have pixels, so obviously the only 100% solution is to shoot film. Posts about dead pixel lines requiring a trip to the repair shop are quite common on Leica forums, but not on Nikon, Canon or Sony forums though, not even taking into account how many times the volume they sell. In fact I've never seen a report of it, but I'm giving it the benefit of doubt.

Nikon, Canon and Sony's are affected by the same issues. The only difference is that the electronics in their cameras are capable of doing auto-mapping in-camera, so you don't have to have the camera serviced to re-map the sensor. Leica aren't really on the forefront of electronics compared to the other big manufacturers. Although they have adapted a film camera and lenses to digital in an elegant way - they still have a long way to go in regards to electronics, software and in-camera processing capabilites compared to most other manufacturers.

Nikon, Canon and Sony's are affected by the same issues. The only difference is that the electronics in their cameras are capable of doing auto-mapping in-camera, so you don't have to have the camera serviced to re-map the sensor. Leica aren't really on the forefront of electronics compared to the other big manufacturers.

Hmm, I think only on the lower-end models:

Let me google that for you

Top-end cameras have a limit to the number of pixels that can be mapped out for quality reasons. After that the sensor must be replaced.

Hmm, I think only on the lower-end models:

Let me google that for you

Top-end cameras have a limit to the number of pixels that can be mapped out for quality reasons. After that the sensor must be replaced.

That makes sense. And honestly, I would rather prefer to have the sensor replaced myself, rather than knowing that I have lots of pixels that are wasted. I would appreciate quicker turnaround times for the service though ;)

• Like 2

I would appreciate if the re-mapping utility simply counted the number of good pixels and remapped until the limit was reached, then throw a message "Pixel Mapping Limit Reached, Further Mapping Can Result In Decreased Image Quality....Continue? YES/NO".

Edited by bocaburger

Difficult to implement, as the original pixel mapping of each sensor will be different....

I'm not sure why that would matter. If Leica has a hard number cutoff for the minimum number of live pixels allowable below which they replace rather than remap, then an in-camera utility should be able to make the same determination.