Auto Shutter Speed vs. Manual

Enbee

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was wondering what people do for shutter speed on 240? Do you usually use auto or go for the manual? I had been using manual for sometime and have recently switched to auto. For me, it was like one less thing to worry about for the correct exposure. I would like to understand the pros and cons and things I should think about when using the shutter speed.

Thanks!

I use auto. If shutter speed goes too low to freeze the motion then I set the shutter speed directly to 1/125 or 1/250 depending on the movement. I let the ISO climb up to 1000 (I am still experimenting with the ceiling) and do rest of the exposure adjustment in LR5 as needed.

(btw, it is based on my M9 use of two years. Same applies to my M240 with high ISO ceiling moved up accordingly).

• Like 1

When I need some amount of exposure compensation anyway I generally find that manual mode is simpler to handle and gives more consistent results. For ISO-less photography (limiting ISO to some low to medium level, underexposing if neceessary, and adjusting the brightness during raw conversion) manual mode is arguably the best option.

Edited by mjh
  • Like 1

It is very easy to trick the meter in the camera, especially if the subject is back light or some similar unevenness in light happens.

When I have to get the shot, I put the camera in A, Auto ISO to 1600, think a bit of what will my meter measure so if needed I can lock the shutter speed by aiming a bit off the target that I think will hit the meter off.

On the other hand, I've been practicing full manual mode for some time. For example, I assume f/1.4, ISO200 and shutter speed 1/32000 will equal Sunny 16. Than I try to guesstimate the amount of light that surrounds the subject. That's how I know if I am in the sun, I set the shutter to 1/4000, and close the lens to f/4. If I enter the light shade I guess there is 3 stops less light so I can turn the aperture back to 1.4 or set the shutter to 1/500.

It is a lot of trial and error, and a bit frustrating, but I think I am getting better, and better. Eventually, I hope this will be much faster, and more reliable method than the A mode.

• Like 1

For me, it was like one less thing to worry about...

I don't know about worry, but for me there's generally something to think about, regardless of metering mode; auto doesn't mean automatically best result. Given that, I generally prefer manual to execute the thought process. Exceptions to every rule, of course….whatever works to get the desired result.

Jeff

• Like 1

I use both. In normal light, I find A works fine, and my general way of working is to select f/stop first anyhow to control depth of field. In mixed and trickier light, I might take one shot while in A centered on an area I want properly exposed, then have a look at the image and the "info" -- what the camera meter decided to do. Then I switch to M and make adjustments from the "test" shot. I am basically using the camera's meter to give me a starting point.

I have also found that shooting in manual with the EVF is very useful -- and fast -- in difficult light. My setup is a half press of the shutter shows actual exposure in the EVF. Keep it half pressed and adjust the shutter speed or the f/stop until you have what you want. This is faster than trial and error (I am personally very familiar with "error").

• Like 1

... For example, I assume f/1.4, ISO200 and shutter speed 1/32000 will equal Sunny 16. ...

1/32000?! Leica sold me a dud M that only goes up to 1/4000!! How dare they, what were they thinking, can't they even get this right blah blah blah … :D;)

Pete.

Thank You for your suggestions. Since, I am new - I will stick to auto. I agree EVF2 has been very helpful with manual mode - infact it's like a life line. How does one decide what the correct shutter speed is? or what people did before the live view? How can one judge and learn about getting better using shutter speed with ISO. Any suggestions would be helpful.

I was wondering what people do for shutter speed on 240? Do you usually use auto or go for the manual?...

Mostly auto exposure ("A" on the shutter speed dial) and auto iso (SET / ISO : AUTO / Maximum AUTO ISO: 3200 / Maximum Exposure Time: 1/focal length / AUTO ISO in M mode: On). When i don't need a faster shutter speed, i lock exposure by half pressing the shutter release on (not too) bright areas of the frame as i used to do last century when shooting transparencies. When i need a faster shutter speed i choose it manually with the shutter speed dial and lock exposure the same way as above, letting the camera set ISO automatically. Perfect for old newbies like me :D.

How can one judge and learn about getting better using shutter speed with ISO. Any suggestions would be helpful.

How and why you do something should be driven by what you want to achieve, and that is the best way to learn basic photography.

You will only understand the reasons to make a choice between, say, Auto Exposure or Manual Exposure, by understanding the benefits of each in practise. So the easy way is to buy a book on 'teach yourself photography' and this will give examples of fast shutter speeds to stop movement, or using slower shutter speeds when the light is poor. And this mythical book will also show what the benefits of shutter speeds are in relation to the aperture you want to use. But I don't think you are going to get far if you don't know what sorts of pictures you want to make or by simply having 'I do' or 'I don't' use manual or auto types of answers to your question.

Steve

• Like 1

When I need some amount of exposure compensation anyway I generally find that manual mode is simpler to handle and gives more consistent results. For ISO-less photography (limiting ISO to some low to medium level, underexposing if neceessary, and adjusting the brightness during raw conversion) manual mode is arguably the best option.

Right on.

I mostly take pics in nice sun or flash and I already know the exposure, 1/750 5.6. That is the starting point and is right 95%.

Sounds like a good plan - I am using my dad's Yashica 35mm for film photography trying to understand - how things used to be. He used to take beautiful photographs - from what he had at that time. Book sounds like a fantastic idea - not sure what happened to learning from a book anymore - I will look for something. I do keep practicing everyday though - looking at what seems good to me. I think that also begs the question - what is a good photograph :)! Thanks for all the answers!

I select whatever is appropriate for the subject I'm shooting.

If I'm just aimlessly walking around looking for photo opportunities, I just use auto shutter and auto iso. I would use EC quite often with these settings.

When I'm shooting an event or still life, I normally switch to manual exposure and fixed iso for consistent exposure.

• Like 1