35 or 50mm for M240?

tedlipien

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm buying M240 on Mon. and still can't decide whether to get 35 or 50mm lens. I shoot nature, landscapes, but also street photography mostly without close-ups of people. I also compose still life nature shots and close-ups in an urban environment where I can get close to or far away from the subject without attracting attention. I also photograph architectural monuments, ruins, and objects in museums.

I really need good advice on which lens would be better for me to start with as I can only get one right now. I'd like to know advantages and disadvantages of both.

And is it really true that some new M240s come with dust and oil smudges on the sensor? How does one deal with it?

Sounds like you are already using some sort of camera. Look at the images you captured over the past one to two years to get an idea of what focal length you used the most.

From what you posted sounds like the 35mm might cover most of your needs except with avoiding closeups which the 50mm would be more appropriate.

• Like 1

Before I read A Almulla's post, my first thought was that the 50mm would be the place to start!

Whether the 35mm or 50mm lens is the best first lens for you depends on what the majority of your subject matter is; of all the subjects you like to photograph, which are your top two favorites?

Also, think back over the past 6-12 months. Which lens have you gravitated to? A standard focal length or a short focal length? The answers to these two questions will help you decide if you need the 35mm or the 50mm more.

• Like 1

With sound technique, the M files provide lots of PP flexibility for cropping to a smaller FOV, if desired.

But one adapts to whatever focal length used; feet often provide a nice 'zoom' function. My guess is that you won't go lacking for pics either way. And a second lens will likely follow anyway once you gain experience.

In other words, if it's a close call, don't sweat it.

Jeff

• Like 1

While I always preferred 50mm with my M4-M6 over 40 years with film, with my M9 I use 35 mm most of the time. As others have noted, with Leica digital the images can be cropped significantly and still hold nice quality.

Depending on your budget, consider the 35 Summarit. It has become my favorite 35, and might leave you enough for a 50 Summarit as well.

• Like 1

If you plan to own one lens, 50mm would be a good option.

If you plan to own two lenses, 35mm / 75mm would be a good approach.

I have few M lenses in my setup and 50mm is getting used a lot. If you plan to own one 50mm, I personally like 50 1.4. If you plan to own more than one, 50mm APO and Noctilux would be an interesting combo.

Enjoy shooting with M240 :)

• Like 1

In my opinion, if you're limiting yourself to one lens at this time, it should be a current-production 35mm f2.0 Summincron Asph. lens.

It's one of the best M lenses ever, you can safely & comfortable crop if the FoV is too large for the subject and ultimately, just because it renders images so very, very satisfyingly well.

I submit it's THE lens you'll never want to be without for your full-frame M of any description.

Good luck

JZG

• Like 1

Choosing a 35mm or a 50mm lens is just a matter of tastes. Some people like Henri Cartier Bresson and yours truly "see" in 50mm (our only common point i'm afraid). People like that tend to favour 1:1 (R-D1, Bessa R3A), 0.91x (M3) or 0.85x (special M6 & M7) rangefinders where the 50mm framelines are large enough to cover the most part of the viewfinder frame. People preferring a wider view like 35mm tend to favour 0.72x (M2, M4, M5, regular M6 & M7) to 0.55x (special M6 & M7) rangefinders. With a VF magnification of 0.68x, the M240 is on the wide side with 35mm framelines covering the most part of the VF frame. If you wear spectacles, you could feel more comfortable with 50mm framelines though.

• Like 1

With sound technique, the M files provide lots of PP flexibility for cropping to a smaller FOV, if desired.

Jeff

What he said. 35 easily cropped to 50 FOV unless you're printing beyond 20x30 and viewing from too close a standpoint. If money is an object, consider buying used lens(es). Get from a reputable shop with a good return policy and warranty and you risk nothing. Although when I started photography I had only a 50 which was considered the standard lens in those days, today I rarely use it (although I have several Leica 50's). 21-35-90 is my kit 90% of the time. Sometimes I add a 15 or sub a 135 for the 90.

• Like 1

I have been using my new 50mm a lot for the past two months. But today, as I was photographing my son playing on the floor I switched to my 35mm which was my first lens. I immediately though,t of how glad I was, that 35 was my first lens. 35 remains the sweet spot for me, even after a lot of practice with the 50. In time you will probably get both. There is a place for both. 35 is just extremely versatile. Just after I got my M, my wife and I, we went on honeymoon in switzerland. I did fine wth just this lens for portrait, street scenes and landscapes. If I had a fixed lens camera - that would be 35mm.

Edited by Numbers
  • Like 1

35 and 50 are in my humble opinion 2 must-have lenses to accompany an M system. Which to get first is a very personal choice and only you can answer this question after testing both focal lenses yourself. But we're here to give you an advice based on our own experience, and I'll share with you my experience.

I got both the 35mm and the 50. When I bought my first rangefinder system "M9" 3 months ago, it came with a 50mm Summarit, I fell in love with the system and the lens, when I finally got the 35mm it's been on the camera almost all the time. Unless I'm doing some portraiture works the 35mm never detaches from my M9. Putting it differently, if you ask me which lens would I let go today, I will tell you the 50mm.

• Like 1

For one lens, I agree the 35 is the most versatile for the uses you identified. Or get the Zeiss 35/2 and a used 50 lux. The older Summilux lenses are good portrait lenses. If you can wait, the early reports on the Zeiss 35 1.4 are positive.

However you go, have fun.

• Like 1