M-P, repeating the "upgrade" scenario

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica has repeated their marketing/upgrading steps with the M-P.

The M-P eliminates the red dot, and non sapphire screen of the M240.

History ..Remember;

The M8 was introduced with red dot and non sapphire screen.

Then, the M8.2 came along. The disliked red dot and non sapphire screen of the M8, were replaced with no dot and sapphire screen.

Then Leica repeated itself. Introducing the new M9, with disliked red dot, and non sapphire screen.

Then the M9-P came along. It had as an "upgrade", no dot and sapphire screen.

then ...

The new 240 came on board with a non sapphire screen and red dot

Now with the "new" M-P the red dot is gone, and once again the sapphire screen is brought back.

The M-P is what the M should have been.

The M9-P is what the M9 should have been.

The M8-2 was what the M8 should have been.

It's like a repeating motif ..... no?

In all honesty I must say I did drop everything and turn in my 2 240's for M-P's. Not only for the usual "upgrades" ..... but most importantly ...... because of the RETURN of the preview lever.

Thank you Leica !!

How else do you keep your market alive when you a have a 3 year product cycle ???

Except for reducing price (strategically iffy) you only have cosmetic changes, limited editions, minor functional/software modifications and 'value bundles' to play with.

Leica is just following a well tried model, particularly where luxury brands are concerned.

• Like 2

Leica is just following a well tried model, particularly where luxury brands are concerned.

If it keeps the doors open and the lights on in Wetzlar, it can't be all bad, yes? :D

I don't think of Leica as a luxury brand - I think of Leica as a performance brand, like Ferrari, Lamborghini or Bugatti.

• Like 2

Then there are other aspects like the frame line distance optimization….

The M8 optimized for .7m

The M8.2 optimized for 2m

The M9, M9-P and M-E optimized for 1m

The M(240) and M-P optimized for 2m.

Sometimes Leica plays with us, but eventually gets it right. ;):)

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Nope. The chrome M8.2 had a red dot; the black M8.2 had a black dot.

Jeff

Sorry. Stand corrected on the dot.

regarding other changes; sure .....

the preview lever is back on the M-P, and other changes ....

I just guess I was focussing on the red dot, non sapphire beginnings to all the models.

Edited by rafael_macia

I upgraded my M8 with the 1/4000 shutter, 2m framelines and sapphire screen as I felt each had significant merit and that I would be keeping the camera for a long time because at the time Stefan Daniel had recently stated that technology for a full-frame digital sensor M body did not yet exist. Six months later the M9 was arriving at dealers worldwide. In the long run the upgrade cost me more than had I sold my M8 on the Bay and purchased an M8.2. I did not even consider upgrading my M9 to -P specs for that reason, plus I did not find any of the upgraded features compelling. Likewise the features of the M-P do not compel me to upgrade or trade up. I was disappointed Leica deleted the frame preview lever but now I'm used to living without it. And it's one less complicated mechanical thing to possibly break and cost me to repair once the camera is out of warranty. I had the selector mechanism fail on an M6 once, had to pay $375 for a full CLA as at the time nobody (Leica, DAG or Sherry) would do just that repair alone.

Edited by bocaburger

It's like a repeating motif ..... no?

It is always going to be a puzzle why a manufacturer considers removing it's corporate logo is an 'upgrade', but you can be sure that when the next model comes along it will also have a red dot, a scratchable rear screen, and some other thing that isn't as good as it could be. And then two years later there will be a predictable upgrade that makes the basic camera a 'professional' model. Don't you think that tells you something about what they think of their customers?

Steve

• Like 8

But there are people who may want either model depending on personal preferences and price, and probably only few would upgrade within the model.

So why not provide both from release of the new model and give the customer the choice? The only non-cosmetic improvements are the cache and the frame-line preview selector.

• Like 1

Yep - they think their customers are the ones to buy their products and keep the company afloat.;)

More like milch cows, because if the 'red dot' is so unpopular that they themselves think it is an 'upgrade' to get rid of it they could cut production costs and end user price and leave it off in the first place couldn't they? :rolleyes: And it isn't a transparent case of selling a new camera to fill the coffers because 9 times out of 10 there will be a 'low use' second hand original version hitting the market to compensate, and that diverts new users away from buying new cameras.

Steve

• Like 2

Who does?

Well it really is 'just in case', such is the paranoia , which goes even further, I use a 60p screen protector, but I hear people spend many pounds in over engineered alternatives. Point is if Leica didn't go with the biennial 'upgrade' and just put in a decent screen in the first place it would calm all their owners and make photography a happy thing to do rather than fraught with jeopardy. And it is the jeopardy that they are 'working' to sell their upgrades, so 'is your camera stealthy enough, we can sell you one without the logo?' So sucking out any joy in ownership, just making you think you bought the wrong camera in the first place, and who is here to help, why it is Leica themselves!

Steve

• Like 2

I can't help but agreeing - the tweak-marketing is a bit repetitive and annoying. You would think for 8000 dollars the first edition could come out with the sapphire screen. Also it is funny- if Leica removes the frame lever it is good and simplifies the camera- if they put it back it is also good as it is a 'professional' feature.

• Like 1

I can't help but agreeing - the tweak-marketing is a bit repetitive and annoying. You would think for 8000 dollars the first edition could come out with the sapphire screen. Also it is funny- if Leica removes the frame lever it is good and simplifies the camera- if they put it back it is also good as it is a 'professional' feature.

I think in the case of the frame lever, Leica is correcting a mistake. Believe me, the next model will have it. ( ... that is , I hope they are smart enough to not remove it again.)