Torn between two options for better grip of the 240.

Keith Novak

I find the M240 quite big and heavy enough as it is without adding a grip. I agree with Pete that a Thumbie improves the handling and it does not add significant weight or bulk. It also has the advantage over the Thumbs-up of leaving the hot-shoe free for use with flash or EVF.

A Luigi grip case, (had one on the M8 and really liked it) .......

.... or the genuine M grip from B&H for around the same price!

If you mean the genuine M case with tiny grip-forget it-grip too small. Get either grip like the MF grip or other grip without GPS,etc. They fit perfectly.

I understand the importance of a grip when shooting one-handed, however given the need to manually focus these cameras, a 2-handed hold is mandated (other than when hyperfocaling), whereupon the right hand is mostly passive, with the bulk of the camera's weight resting in the left palm. So what is the reason so many people feel the urgency for a grip? Is this because you guys are carrying the camera in the hand vs on a neck strap?

• Like 1

I understand the importance of a grip when shooting one-handed, however given the need to manually focus these cameras, a 2-handed hold is mandated (other than when hyperfocaling), whereupon the right hand is mostly passive, with the bulk of the camera's weight resting in the left palm. So what is the reason so many people feel the urgency for a grip? Is this because you guys are carrying the camera in the hand vs on a neck strap?

I mostly carry mine in my hand but the strap does the job of keeping it comfortable, and when i'm shooting no grips or other extras seem necessary.

I did try the M grip for a while out of curiosity. It was nice but when I tried the camera without it a few weeks later I really did appreciate the relative lightness and smaller size of the naked body.

Half-cases are anathema to me: the very opposite of what I like about Leicas.

I often (perhaps 50% ?) carry my camera (whether M type 240 or M3 or Hexar RF or Canon SLR) in the hand (right hand, because I'm right-handed) with the neck strap in fact wrapped around my wrist and forearm. That's where the ThumbsUp helps. And I do it enough that it already feels a tad "not right" when I have my M type 240 without the Thumbs Up, even when it's quite deliberate as I try to come to terms with an EVF and 21mm Super Angulon. I'm guessing that's going to end up with a bunch of rather odd (at least to me) trade-offs...

...Mike

I too have the Thumbs Up but removed it as it would dig into my side when carrying the carry via neck strap across my chest.

If I know I'm going to be carrying the camera in hand for any duration I will use my Gordy's wrist strap in place of my neck strap.

I agree that there's no need for an additional grip when you're using your left hand under the camera and lens to focus and stabilize the camera.

However a half case is very valuable if you don't like to send your camera away every few months for RF calibration.

Is that why Leica workshops have such an extended turnaround time? All those cameras without cases clogging up the system awaiting RF recalibration. I hadn't realised!:p

How you carry and use the camera will affect what works best for you of course.

I don't use a shoulder strap carry. If I am out and about I will have the camera (with a wrist strap) in a satchel with me. If I'm using the camera for example in a studio then the camera is in my hand and the wrist strap on.

I like the Thumbs Up very much (I have never tried the Thumbie) and I also find that the Leica grip greatly improves the handling (and security of holding) for me when holding the camera vertically.

I'm like you but no thumbs up either. I carry my Leica by the lens and shoot from there. Thin wrist strap for safety. Works great for fast street work.

Me too except that instead of a wrist strap I use an A&A neckstrap that comfortably winds round the wrist to act as a light and beautifully soft wrist-strap but on the occasions when I need both hands free I can put it round my neck without having to find somewhere safe to put it down, or needing to carry a bag. It feels like the best of all worlds to me.

i don't mind the non-multifunction grip for my M.

combined with a thumbs up, it's a very solid hold on the camera.

I did find the finger loop odd though and wouldn't want to carry the camera around with that as the loop is only screwed into the side of the grip without any locking mechanism.

I don't use my grip often though as I also prefer my Arte Di Mano case and thumbs up (the case has a very small 'grip' to it).

it does add bulk to the already heavy M, however not as bad as the multi-functional grip which adds more size/height to the camera.

15212453239_76ddd1eb80_c.jpg0M5A9683 by Bunnypower9, on Flickr

Is that why Leica workshops have such an extended turnaround time? All those cameras without cases clogging up the system awaiting RF recalibration. I hadn't realised!:p

Your sarcasm aside, I have done some personal stats on the M users I personally know, and that means many. You would be surprised.