metering dilemma

SillyBun

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey all,

Got my M240 about a month ago and loving it so far. However, I'm having a dilemma over which metering method I should be using. I've been using the classic/center weighted metering since day 1 and miss quite often. Picture either over or under and just couldn't get the exposure outcome that I envisioned. Today, I switched to advance/spot and find myself more accurate with exposure. So, should I stay with advance/spot or just practice more with classic/center weighted?

SB

Regardless of camera, both those methods are old classics and very good IMO. However, just like learning to drive your camera, you must learn to drive your metering, whatever method you use. Both have their strengths and weaknesses which can be overcome with intelligent input from the user (necessary).

Already you have discovered which one supports you vision in which circumstance, so just keep going and think about what influences are making them different for you. The light will pop on in your head sooner or later. You just need to collect the experience data and apply it. Start to pre-empt what the meter will be influenced by and adjust accordingly. It becomes second nature very quickly.

Above all, enjoy the experience.

Set up a grey board and make sure both modes read the same.

Make sure you meter an area that is supposed to be middle grey. A snow covered mountain will be a grey mountain otherwise. If you meter the shadows, the rest of the pic will be overexposed. These are not camera errors, but a design limitation of a reflective meter, built in camera or not.

Spot are also reflective with the same limitation, however the metering area can be confined and controlled. Among other tricks, measure the darkest and lightest areas, average them, and use that exposure providing you do not blow highlights.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you all.

Yeah, I'm so used to multi-areas metering with other brand of cameras and haven't practice other metering technique all these years. With the M, I know many uses the Classic metering and that's what I want to gain knowledge and experience on. I guess just like everyone suggested, practice, practice.

paulsydaus - I do street mostly, but landscape every so often.

I wouldn't mind if the M240 had semi-spot metering like the M5, confined to a circle a bit larger than the rangefinder patch, but without the need for an extra shutter open-close cycle. I'm really used to the off-the-shutter-curtain metering though, so I know when it can or can't be trusted, and what to do instead when it can't. A lot of the time with outdoor photogaphy I set my exposure by sunny-16 and 45 years experience...or metering the blue sky away from the sun...or metering the palm of my hand and adding 1 1/2 stops.

I wouldn't mind if the M240 had semi-spot metering like the M5, confined to a circle a bit larger than the rangefinder patch, but without the need for an extra shutter open-close cycle. I'm really used to the off-the-shutter-curtain metering though, so I know when it can or can't be trusted, and what to do instead when it can't. A lot of the time with outdoor photogaphy I set my exposure by sunny-16 and 45 years experience...or metering the blue sky away from the sun...or metering the palm of my hand and adding 1 1/2 stops.

Talk about the extra shutter open-close cycle, I guess it isn't a good thing since it would shorten the life expectancy of the shutter.

Ok if that's the case, you should just meter of the pavement or a cement wall, set that speed on the manual dial, and off you go!

Thank you all.

Yeah, I'm so used to multi-areas metering with other brand of cameras and haven't practice other metering technique all these years. With the M, I know many uses the Classic metering and that's what I want to gain knowledge and experience on. I guess just like everyone suggested, practice, practice.

paulsydaus - I do street mostly, but landscape every so often.

• Like 1

As some sort of indicator, my Leica 111f is 65 years old and the shutter is fine. Been re-lubricated of course.

Just used it 1/2 an hour ago.

I guess it is all depend on how one use and maintain the camera. Since I got the camera, about a month ago, I basically shoot everything in sight and already reached 1000 frames mark. If 300,000 frames is the average, then yeah i have 30+ years to go.:)

Just to put it all into context, remember how often you have your car serviced and what that costs. It follows, for me at least, that similar appropriate care for the camera will be well rewarded. On that basis, I have no interest in how many actuation my shutters have had, but rather how well I have them serviced and checked. There are no guarantees. Enjoy what works.