Chrome Vs Black Paint

freitz

Chrome because:

1) It is a bare metal surface (chrome plated brass) and as a mechanical engineer I like the feel of bare metal, the same goes for a MACbook vs. a painted PC,

2) Because the metal lasts longer than the paint.

If the M was available in the black chrome the MM comes in, I would have probably taken the black one.

• Like 2

When I wanted to buy my M240 I also looked and after reading many threads I wanted to go with a black due to being "inconspicuous" even though it didn't make much sense.

A guy standing there bringing his camera up to his face to shoot, black or not didn't make sense, even for street.

Then when I heard a dealer close to where I was at the time had a camera I rushed and asked and it seems the only one available was a silver. My decision was made for me irrespective of what I intended.

I don't regret it and I still find the choice of colour to be more personal than for any other reason.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Black paint, because i prefer black paint.

My M is intended to be a long term photographic companion (3-5yrs before an upgrade, where it will still be kept as a second body/backup)

And i like the idea of it slowly brassing, becoming uniquely mine

• Like 1

I chose black. I just like the look of black rangefinder cameras. Also a factor is that my M lenses are black; therefore getting my M240 in black was the natural choice.

While black is in theory more stealthy than chrome, I don't think that in real world situations it matters much. I have discovered that the masses of people who are not serious, committed photographers are unbelievably inobservant as they go about life in their cloud.

YMMV.

Edited by Carlos Danger

The black one looks nice and will eventually have nice patina, but I am not sure I would like it on mine. I started with a chrome MP and build a chrome lens collection. A chrome lens on a black body doesn't look good in my opinion, so I settled with a chrome M 240.

Based on a friend's camera, it's definitely paint, not "black chrome" like on an old M4-P.

Personally, I went for chrome because I think it looks better, it's more durable, & it matches my other Leicas.

Is it really black paint/enamel or just the dull, crap 'black chrome'?

That's longterm? I suppose it must be in the digital age. :eek:

Personally, if my M8.2 was still ok, I wouldn't have thought about upgrading to the M240, although I do find it has it advantages (especially in less ideal light situations).

I don't think I'll be upgrading for as long as the it keeps on working. I'm satisfied now, so why wouldn't I 5 years into the 'future'... :p

About the black paint, I don't know when and how I got the top plate against something less forgiving, but it scraped a bit of black of it. Black paint for sure. :cool: