algrove

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As many of you are now familiar with my complaints about M240 lockups with

View-permanent

EVF in use

LV in use

focus peaking used here and there

taking many shots for eventual stitching for landscapes

I just spent a sunrise with my recently acquired M-P. I captured 385 images often in rapid succession over 45 minutes. The camera stopped two times for reasons I cannot know, but after turning off and then on again it was OK. Never had to remove the battery. I might have hit the 2GB buffer limit since one of these times it would take a shot every second on its own time.

This is good news for me and perhaps others. I will now replace my other M240's.

• Like 1

Follow up-

Tonight I was using an M240 in cool weather and after about 15-20 shots, it froze up where the red light stayed on and battery removal was the only way I knew how to get it working again.

So for me, this M-P is the best answer to my lockup problems. As far as it bogging down as I mentioned above two times, I frankly consider those situations a hick up while shooting many frames over a long period of time.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In over a year have had not ONE lockup... check your SD card, make sure you format it, if it keeps happening go to Leica... if you have two bodies who lockup I can hardly believe it is the camera's... it must be something you are doing 'wrong' with the cards or something else.

If you had them on more than one body I would suspect it is caused and not defect.
It may be triggered by some user action, but it's still a defect. Seemingly of the nasty intermittent kind that's hard to pin down and may be due to hardware, or software, or more likely an unanticipated interaction between the two. If it were an easy problem to diagnose and resolve I suspect that would have happened by now.

...Mike

• Like 1

Have you tried how it does using sd cards formated with

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Regards,

Steve

No. I see no reason to have to resort to this. I have 4 other camera systems and none lockup nor do I have to format their SD cards in a special way.

Had three pauses today, but no battery removal required again. I notice once I hit the buffer max it just stops shooting altogether. I just turn it off and on and it's ready again.

I don't think that an external tool could format the card in "a better way" than the in-camera format tool.

My tests on used empty cards show that formatting the latters with SD Formatter in the first place leads to the shortest startup times. No need to use SD Formatter afterwards unless the cam shows some signs of slowdown.

• Like 3

I'd second the advice re SD Formatter - it transforms the M-240's start up time and reliability which ever card you use.

My only recent experience of lockup happened a week or two back. It was DEFINITELY the battery at fault. I've had no problems with my three other batteries in use - only this one. I've since reset it (extended re-charge / discharge) but will not use for important jobs. New replacement to pick up next time I'm in London.

• Like 2

My tests on used empty cards show that formatting the latters with SD Formatter in the first place leads to the shortest startup times. No need to use SD Formatter afterwards unless the cam shows some signs of slowdown.

Thanks, very Interesting data.

With "bettery way" I was referring to reliability rather than speed, but the results you got are certainly worth a deeper investigation.

No need to use SD Formatter afterwards unless the cam shows some signs of slowdown.

How do you delete old files from the card after import ?