M240 + Macro Adapter

bephoto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Today I got my macro adapter and here is the first shot testing it with 90Apo@f/2

I think anyone with an M240 should get one (or two) of these it opens a whole new dimension to M lenses and their potential in macro and closeups.

Looking forward to see who else is enjoying these ridiculously priced extensions :D

15067677149_4fa110ff8b_o.jpg

• Like 5

Whats the focus range with adapter? With the OUFRO and the 90 APO, the focus range was really small - like 18 inches to 6 inches (don't remember the exact numbers anymore). It was a very small working distance and I felt like I needed LESS extension for real world use.

I'm puzzled how the macro adapter can be left on the new 90/4 Macro and still retain infinity focus. I had the previous 90/4 with its adapter and quickly decided it wasn't a good match for me in outdoor shooting.

...I'm puzzled how the macro adapter can be left on the new 90/4 Macro and still retain infinity focus. I had the previous 90/4 with its adapter and quickly decided it wasn't a good match for me in outdoor shooting.

As far as I remember, the smart trick they engineered is to keep the lens collapsed... the adapter has a length such that lens collapsed+extender gets infinity focus. (with OUFRO of course, you cannot... :cool:)

• Like 1

this photo is shot with zero extension and lens @∞

I don't have 90 Macro, this is shot with 90 Apo-summicron. haven't had time to take pictures from a ruler yet so I can give you exact repro ratios. tested it with 100AME and fully extended gives almost 1:1.25. this means one can avoid using elpro.

Reason this adapter is so ridiculously expensive is because it has very very high precision, its like a lens barrel without glass. works beautifully with R-Adapter also. (mount R-adapter on tripod unless you risk damaging Macro Adapter)

• Like 2

Today I got my macro adapter and here is the first shot testing it with 90Apo@f/2

I think anyone with an M240 should get one (or two) of these it opens a whole new dimension to M lenses and their potential in macro and closeups.

Looking forward to see who else is enjoying these ridiculously priced extensions :D

15067677149_4fa110ff8b_o.jpg

Is this photo also possible with the OUFRO?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think so, but only with the M-240 and the EVF (or Live View). The OUFRO is not focus coupled, so the only way to see focus would be via the EVF or LV. There is also the Novoflex tube set - that's more economical given it offers a range by stacking the extensions. The downsize of the Novoflex solution is constant reconfiguration, whereas the Leica solution is a helicoid, thus more convenient.

Edited by John Black

you could achieve this type of shot with the old Sooky M close focus adapter and a 50 Elmar or Summicron collapsible with coupled RF. :eek:

Right... :cool:... I often said (here in the forum) that SOOKY M + a fine Summicron lenshead is still my preferred light macro solution... and without need of EVF... :): but admit that probably the modern 90mm f4 is sharper than a 50 years old Summicron...

• Like 1

you could achieve this type of shot with the old Sooky M close focus adapter and a 50 Elmar or Summicron collapsible with coupled RF. :eek:

Doesn't focus any closer than newer Summi 50's - I just did a trial with a ver IV against the above configuration (and experienced deja vu!)

I've got an 9, Visoflex does my macro jobs beautifully (but only once accurately calibrated - I started what became a long thread on that, pls search. It's a bowed film vs. flat sensor issue - not for the beginner. Very fiddly.)

• Like 1

I finally got one of the new macro adapters and new 90 Macro Elmar. The adapter is helicoid, which distinguishes it from extension tube solutions in functionality ease of use, and price as well. Having come from the old 90 goggles solution, the new approach is more elegant and more flexible (usable for a greater range of work). Of course you have to be comfortable using an EVF as it is not usable without. I cannot comment on the relative precision of the EVF/Macro and conventional Visoflex, as I longer have a Visoflex, but I always thought the Visoflex was a clever but complicated way to try to make an M (film or digital) into a quasi SLR and stopped trying to do Leica macro work in favor of a DSLR solution. What might be very interesting is a bellows that would give even more extension and would be usable with EVF instead of Visoflex.

Edited by WeinschelA
typo fixed