M240 buffer upgrade?

hockey44

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys,

Forgive this question if the answer is an obvious "no". Just curious if my M240 can be modified to increase buffer size to 2gb as MP? Would I be simply dreaming to think it would be an easy "swap this and add that" and voila....I guess I had naively hoped that Leica would have designed such upgrade possibilities....thanks

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Me neither. I never ran into the buffer on my M9 either.

I did. Rarely, as I am not a particularly fast shooter, but is not that hard to hit that limit with the M9, and not just in burst mode. With the M (Typ 240) I never any such issues. So for me the doubled buffer size of the M-P would not be a reason to upgrade, but then I rarely if ever use burst mode.

• Like 1

Do you know of any other reason for inserting a buffer or queue than a limited processing speed?

Do you know how increasing the buffer or queue will increase the M processing speed ? I don't.

From Leica's US site:

"With its two gigabyte buffer memory, the Leica M-P is twice as fast at capturing shots in sequence as the Leica M."

This is misleading, to say the least.

Edited by CheshireCat

I easily hit buffer saturation with the M when getting all the shots needed for ultra-high resolution images.

This is really annoying, also because seems to me that the real problem is the low flush speed to SD, not the buffer.

I will not upgrade.

Again: the buffer is here for obvious reasons. Doubling the buffer size will let you take more than double the number of frames before the camera stalls. Whether this will suffice for your super resolution mosaic images depends largely on the number of shots and on the frequency at which you are shooting.

Since you find it annoying that the camera stalls within your sequences, you may have reason to change to the later model.

Up to you.

Leica's wonderful translation department in action again...:rolleyes::

"Doppelt so gut" is translated as "Twice as fast", whilst a quick glance in dictionary would have learnt that "gut" means "good"....

Ignorance is not an excuse. Also because they didn't translate the final part of the German site sentence:

"Mit einem zwei Gigabyte großen Arbeitsspeicher ist die Leica M-P doppelt so gut für die Aufnahme schneller Bildsequenzen gerüstet wie die Leica M und bleibt demnach zweimal so lange schussbereit."

The German text is already misleading, but the English "translation" is simply a false claim that should be fixed asap.

The German text is already misleading,

It is not.

Your rhetoric is funny. You state that you often take series of pictures where the camera overruns the buffer. Then you proceed to state in no uncertain terms that you will not buy the camera which might have a sufficiently large buffer and emphasize a phrase in the advert you don't like.

Well, it is not really misleading to say that is twice as good for fast series and that it is ready for actuation for twice as long, I would say, in marketing-speak, that is.

The misleading part is "twice as good for fast series" that may be interpreted as "twice the framerate".

Also notice the "and" ("und" in German) in the sentence that should be replaced by "because" to avoid people thinking there are two new features instead of just one.