Rumor: Leica to Announce Digital Rangefinder Without an LCD Screen at Photokina

I was told something similar by a Leica employee a month or so ago – not necessarily without an LCD but a more stripped down ("thinner" was one of the the specific words used) M that is more in tune with the traditional M gestalt.

• Like 3

It would certainly be possible, if not especially convenient, to do everything you need to though an EVF, focussing and framing, menu settings, image review.

If the camera could return to the thickness of an M7, how good would that be?

One step further, the EVF in the T is a huge improvement on the M clunker version, so imagine too if that was to replace the rangefinder and be built into the camera.

It would certainly be possible, if not especially convenient, to do everything you need to though an EVF, focussing and framing, menu settings, image review.

I was told that it wouldn't have an EVF or any other gizmos.

All such a camera would need is a top-plate LCD that is a little more informative than the one on the M8. With ISO selector on the back and RAW files only, the only thing you might need a button for is to format the card (which would not be dissimilar to how you can format a card on a Nikon). If the top plate also showed a histogram for the shot just made, you've got everything you might need from a digital camera.:)

• Like 6

It will also have a film advance lever and a rewind knob, but only if seen from the back, and the new connector for the EVF will look like a flash cable socket.

Someone got there first

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Leica have an App for that...

I was thinking that this was a weird idea, but maybe it has WiFi and it connects to an Android/iOS device then maybe it's not a such a strange idea after all.

We all carry these devices anyway, menu changes, image review, etc, etc all done on your secondary screen.

If it makes the camera considerably thinner I might consider it.

• Like 3

Why?

Because a stripped down, 24 MP digital camera, the size of a MP would represent, IMHO, everything that Leica stood for: simplicity, reliability and ease of use.

I would absolutely LOVE that, and THIS camera would be a milestone, for me, which would entice me to search my pockets deep :D

• Like 3