The New LEICA M-P: Discreet, Faster, Harder

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Only a few weeks before photokina 2014 Leica improves its product portfolio: The German camera manufacturer has introduced the new LEICA M-P with many new features today. The new camera is available as of now for 6,700 Euro / 7,950 US$ in black and silver chrome.

» All Leica M-P details here

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

Only a few weeks before photokina 2014 Leica improves its product portfolio: The German camera manufacturer has introduced the new LEICA M-P with many new features today. The new camera is available as of now for 6,700 Euro / 7,950 US$ in black and silver chrome.

Yup. $1,000 more.

Black paint on the red dot is cheaper. ;-)

Would be nice if they brought back the different viewfinder magnifications.

I'm trying to think of a technical reason why they can't do this, but I'm struggling at the moment

I agree. If I could get the M240 with a .72 or even the .85 viewfinder I would be much happier spending that amount of money on a camera. All I really need are the classic 35mm/50mm/90mm frame lines and the current viewfinder with its reduced magnification and multiple frame lines isn't a selling point for me.

• Like 3

Improved buffer, sapphire screen, manual viewfinder, frame selector, better looks. I think it's worth the extra $1000 to me. It's funny, it's almost exactly like the m240 I photoshopped a while back!

• Like 1

Not really, the new model is quite a bit more expensive than the M classic, so the impact on used prices should be not too bad.

As for the new features, very nice, but whether it will cause a flood of trade-ins remains to be seen.

I'm actually really happy that they changed the color of the dials on the black model. That's the exact reason I bought the chrome M instead of the black one. The silver color against the black just looked hideous.

• Like 2

At this point I find the Leica product roll-out to be getting a bit monotonous if not tiresome. New model, a year later the P version and then a year later the monochrome and then a year later a new version and they start it all over again.

We are about two years into a typical three years product cycle so the announcement of the next generation M is probably another year off. Surely you did not expect a revolutionary new product after just two years?

• Like 1

Is the sensor changed? I saw something about a new MAX sensor.

It’s the same Max sensor that you know from the M (Typ 240).

Basically, everything that Leica didn’t say has changed hasn’t changed.

If you have a 240 already, it doesn't look like its worth upgrading unless you really need a faster buffer. The LCD Sapphire glass and lack of a logo isn't a big deal. I can't say I really need the frame selection (would be nice but thats about it). The sensor and ISO capabilities are the same....

• Like 2

I anticipated a 'P' version announcement at Photokina….early timing is only real surprise.

Upgrade may be difficult (for a reasonable price), so will be interesting to see demand and how dealers price trades.

Of course actual supply may not be available until…..well….

Jeff

Funny how Leica seems to understand that hardly anybody wants the ugly red dot on the front of their camera. So they introduce a new improved model (M) and then later announce a small improvement on that, for a mere $1,000 more, and one of the few benefits of the higher priced model is the lack of a red dot.

• Like 4