Size of the M240 ... why do people complain?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I received mine via courier at work today and unpacked it with eager anticipation ... I had an M8 years ago but never got on with the crop factor or the high ISO performance which was no real reflection on the camera but more to do with my pickiness! :o

I've read a lot of comments on other forums about the size of the camera and how porky it feels compared to a film M and also the M8/9. Seriously!!!!!! ... I haven't held a digital M in my paws for some time but anyone who complains about the size of this camera is tilting at windmills! My boss and his friend were standing there when I unpacked it and they were gobsmacked at the diminutive dimensions of this 24 megapixel marvel and when I handed it to them they were equally impressed with the finish and build quality. The price did shock them more than a little though! :p

For what this camera is capable of it is very, very small in my opinion and I really can't believe that anyone would think otherwise. I actually think it feels far nicer in the hands than the M8 did ... and I always liked that camera's ergos and really enjoyed my time with it, in spite of it's shortcomings.

• Like 15

It is virtually the same size as the M8/9 and only a few mm thicker (and the same width and height) as the M6TTL.

Somehow people riding this particular bandwagon have missed that the protrusion of the thumbwheel makes the camera "thicker" in the official specificaton.

Have fun with your new camera.

• Like 14

It is virtually the same size as the M8/9 and only a few mm thicker (and the same width and height) as the M6TTL.

Somehow people riding this particular bandwagon have missed that the protrusion of the thumbwheel makes the camera "thicker" in the official specificaton.

Have fun with your new camera.

Thanks jaapv. I made the decision a few weeks ago to return to rangefinders and I don't really enjoy film much at the moment due to lack of time and space ... so the 240 was the logical choice.

My initial impression is ............ I love it! :p

size is no problem for me but a little lighter would certainly be nice. Stick a heavy piece of glass on it like the CV 35/1.2 and it could almost be classed as an offensive weapon;)

Ahh yes! I have the 35mm f1.2 and it is a honker I agree. I put it away and got a 35mm f2 Biogon in preference. The CV is a great lens and I used it a lot on my M8 when I had it but I doubt I'll use it much on the M.

I agree, size is great

Of course some people think the M6 is the ideal but I don't think there is much in it

I prefer a camera where you can attach a lens like the 50mm Summilux and it doesn't fall over when sitting on a flat surface

Enjoy!

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Small dimension changes can feel quite different. When the M3 came out there were complaints about the size from IIIf users; Leica bragged the M5 was only a finger-width larger than the M4 - but people thought it was huge; the M9 feels too thick compared to an M6; etc.

• Like 2

Putting aside comparisons with other M cameras what can the 240 be compared to? Obviously the current full frame compacts from Sony are small but they don't have an optical finder/rangefinder.

I've lugged my D700 around a fair bit and while I'm a big fan of the camera's abilities it absolutely dwarfs the M240 and in reality only offers the advantage of AF.

I love my Sigma Merrills for their extrordinary image quality but the lack of control over focus is finally starting to bug me and the SD1M I bought recently has a pretty gloomy finder and manual focusing can be very hit and miss with fast lenses at close distances. In the time I had my M8 I seldom missed fous .. even in very low light.

As discussed in other threads, the added weight due to the (much appreciated) larger battery may cause some users to grip the camera differently for support, and that may affect their perception of size. Side by side, my M8.2 and M240 are virtually the same size-wise.

I slightly prefer the marginally thicker digital M cameras to the now somewhat skinny-feeling film Ms that I loved for decades. Regardless, I think one quickly accommodates to either with frequent use. I think most people complaining about the size of the new M haven't actually used it for any significant time.

To me, one of the most remarkable Leica achievements with the M comes with the diminutive lens selection compared to DSLR equivalents in focal length and speed. Of course that comes at a premium cost.

Jeff

• Like 5

It's not too large but for an M camera it's a little too heavy and angular. I dragged it up a mountain hiking trail last week and really felt it. It's not ergonomic in shape either. There doesn't seem to be an easy, strong, and natural way to hold it, the way there is with, say, an M6 or a Canon 5D Mark 3.

Congratulations on your acquisition Keith! I completely agree with your comments on its size.

I am also impressed by your courageous decision to open your expensive new camera in front of your boss. Bang goes any chance of that pay rise needed to pay for it!:)

[/b]=Keith Novak;2746174]I received mine via courier at work today and unpacked it with eager anticipation ... I had an M8 years ago but never got on with the crop factor or the high ISO performance which was no real reflection on the camera but more to do with my pickiness! :o

I've read a lot of comments on other forums about the size of the camera and how porky it feels compared to a film M and also the M8/9. Seriously!!!!!! ... I haven't held a digital M in my paws for some time but anyone who complains about the size of this camera is tilting at windmills! My boss and his friend were standing there when I unpacked it and they were gobsmacked at the diminutive dimensions of this 24 megapixel marvel and when I handed it to them they were equally impressed with the finish and build quality. The price did shock them more than a little though! :p

For what this camera is capable of it is very, very small in my opinion and I really can't believe that anyone would think otherwise. I actually think it feels far nicer in the hands than the M8 did ... and I always liked that camera's ergos and really enjoyed my time with it, in spite of it's shortcomings.

By the time you have the EVF on it and the MF Grip, it is not small.

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

Reason I don't have the grip, nor the Noctilux..... And give that poor old veteran a brush, it has earned a bit of care...:p

It has been very windy here in France the last few weeks and everything has got very dusty. I did give it a good clean just now with a soft chamois before I put it back on the shelf. A digital camera image (that one was with a C Type 112), always make old cameras appear dustier than they look to the naked eye. I am waiting (yawn) for my replacement leather to arrive from Morgan, before I really sort it out with cotton buds and black paint restoration wax.

Wilson

Compared to a film M; the 240 is just too big. The weight is o.k. as it aids stability, but compared to holding a film M, well, it just doesn't compare. I can cary a film M one-handed for a long time with no discomfort: not so the 240, which feels like it could slip from my grasp (I have the strap around my wrist with both cameras, of course).

• Like 1

I love my Sigma Merrills for their extrordinary image quality

I bought an M240 a few weeks ago, and after a few days I decided to sell my Sigma DP2M. The wonderful handling of the M240, and beautiful and rich colors and smoothness of its files, made it an easy decision.

Sure, for a small compact the Sigma Merrill's are excellent in terms of micro contrast and detail capture. But I found the M240 files to be much smoother (reminiscent of medium format color negative), which I find is a big positive for larger prints (I've done to 50x33 inches) and with much easier color accuracy.

I've read a lot of comments on other forums about the size of the camera and how porky it feels compared to a film M and also the M8/9. Seriously!!!!!! ... I haven't held a digital M in my paws for some time but anyone who complains about the size of this camera is tilting at windmills! .

If it was a piglet I'd want it for the BBQ, fat and delicious.

It needs comparing to a film M to make a true comparison, where it is considerably fatter, and then take all other manufacturers aims at miniaturisation into consideration. Leica don't seem to be aiming at making the camera any smaller, it hasn't even stood still, the M240 is another slight increment up on the M9. So it is a lack of ambition people are complaining about, not the functions, but for many they could stay routed in the dark ages with in the very basic parameters of speed, aperture, and ISO.

Steve

• Like 1

After using an MP without a case for a while, I agree it feels skinny.

Now, my M3, wearing a Luigi half case, with an MR on top, and the DR Summicron as standard, is so perfectly balanced, and fits the hand so perfectly, it again makes the point that the M3 is the best camera that ever was and that ever will be.

My M240, without the half case is fine, but I spend too much time worrying about hurting it. With the half case, it is chubby, but OK.

I picked up a big Nikon recently in a camera shop, and realized that the M 240, at its worst, is way, way, better to carry, unless one can afford servants. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

After using an MP without a case for a while, I agree it feels skinny.

Now, my M3, wearing a Luigi half case, with an MR on top, and the DR Summicron as standard, is so perfectly balanced, and fits the hand so perfectly, it again makes the point that the M3 is the best camera that ever was and that ever will be.

My M240, without the half case is fine, but I spend too much time worrying about hurting it. With the half case, it is chubby, but OK.

I picked up a big Nikon recently in a camera shop, and realized that the M 240, at its worst, is way, way, better to carry, unless one can afford servants. :rolleyes:

Or a sheep dog.

• Like 2