Back to a leica M digital.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After drifting away from rangefinders over the last couple of years I suddenly realised how much much I miss the shooting expereience of an RF. I have also drifted away from film over the same period and really don't see myself returning to it in the immediate future ... in a few years when work committments aren't so full on maybe it will happen? I do love film though and will never dismiss it totally.

My solution has been to order an M240 which will hopefully be here in a day or so and finally my armoury of M mount lenses will be put to some use ... it's been a while since they saw the light of day. :p

I'm largely a black and white shooter and considered the MM but couldn't quite come to grips with the asking price ... the versatility of the M won out when I really weighed up the benefits of having a digital RF platform that will shoot colour on the odd occasions I desire to do so. The ability to use a variety of lenses with an adaptor was also an important factor for me!

Hopefully I've done the right thing. :)

• Like 5

Welcome to the forum!

Gettin the >>M<< is a splendid decision, esp. when a decent amount of M-lenses is around.

Don´t hesitate to post your photos within the photosections of this site, when you feel ready.

Best

GEORG

Thanks Georg,

I've actually been a member here for a little while ... but not active until now.

I will be asking a few questions along the way about my new aquisition! :D

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I hope you really like the M240, I'm sure you will!

I had a background in using an M4-P and an M7 in the 2000s (but then found that I preferred the workflow and liberation of using digital, which I tried to do with Canon DSLR and then Sigma DP Merrill to attempt to stubbornly avoid just paying up for a Leica Digital).

That strategy failed. I recently bought an M240. Best camera I've ever owned. I don't know what they did to the rangefinder itself, but I find it so accurate and easy to nail focus compared to the other Ms. It's brilliant, it seems much "more obvious" to gauge when something is in perfect focus with the M240.

I also thought very hard about the Monochrom (perhaps the best 35mm camera's output for large prints that I've ever tried and with beautiful mid-tones) but decided at this stage to similarly go for the M240 due to better hardware/ rangefinder accuracy / flexibility and versatility of both colour and silver efex'd B&W, and anyhow still have the M7 for real film look if I want.

Simplifying my equipment to just Ms but now with a digital one in the mix has been very worthwhile for me, and the images I'm taking (and the process for doing so) is proving utterly enjoyable and liberating.

Edited by Jon Warwick
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies and supportive and positive comments about my choice of the M. It's only money after all and I must admit I made the decision to get a 240 after finding out recently that a good friend has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. It made me realise you're only on this planet for a short while and occasionally your ticket expires when you least expect it.

For disclosure I'm Keith from RFF so I've been around rangefinders for quite some time and still have my trusty M2 in the cupboard. :D

I was hoping the camera would arrive at work today but no luck so it looks like Monday ... which means I'll get my chores done over the weekend without the distraction of a new toy! :p

Keith.

Edited by wheelie52
  • Like 2

I love these posts! Guilty as well- heavily into the Fuji system and glass- wonderful

But it's not a Leica

Just off the Amazon, then Vietnam, now in Thailand- with Fuji...

Will be back in the US just in time to get back to Leica- where I belong!!!

There's just something addicting about the sound, the feel, the glass, and the end results with Leica!

• Like 3

I did something similar, I had shot a film M6 but sold it a number of years ago along with the glass a big mistake. Recently ended up selling all my DSLR gear, Zeiss Primes and Tilt Shift lenses and bought at M and a few lenses (Actually made a little bit in the process). I did keep my sony A7 which works reasonably well with my M lenses (I choose the lenses based upon that) as well as my Fuji. Though, I may let the Fuji go to help fund more Leica glass.

I am more than pleased with the M.

Ryan