MF Grip Question

AlanJW

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've just received my MFG, which will replace a Really Right stuff baseplate and grip. I like the smaller size and weight of the MFG but the RRS has a built in Arca-Swiss plate for quick tripod use. For those of you with the MFG who use it on a tripod, is there an Arca Swiss plate you are using? If so, which one is recommended as a good fit. I don't need L, just a way to get on and off a tripod quickly. Thanks.

I'm not trying to be lazy. I have asked RRS. However, I thought that just maybe someone else on the forum had actually used a QR plate with the MFG and could report on how well it works, etc. It doesn't have to be RRS; Kirk, for example.

Alan

I downloaded many photos of my answer for using a QR plate (or L bracket with the MF grip. Perhaps a search will find it.

In summary, I had my race shop machine the base of the RRS L bracket so that unscrewing the MF grip (which has to be unscrewed a fair amount in order to dismount it) was possible without removing said L bracket. One can do the same thing with any RRS plate such as the MPR-113 which I also use from time to time, but did not have that one machined.

Here is RRS' response to my request (I sent them photos of the bottom of the MFG): They are recommending a fairly small plate. I am not sure I wouldn't be better off with something slightly longer but the second suggestion is supposed to "not interfere with the center knob". I will look for algrove's posts, but this does not look to be as simple as it should be.

======================================================

Alan,

Thank you for sending along those images. The B9 Plate would be an option. It has an offset slot and you would provide anti-twist along the back edge of the camera base. The center of the slot is 1/2 in from the nearest side edge which may overlap with the dial on the multifunctional grip. The BPnS would be another option, so as not to interfere with the center knob on the multifunction grip. It would provide a bit of anti-twist by having the gasket installed but would not have an anti-twist flange.

B9: B9 multi-use plate

BPnS: Bidirectional plate for Point-n-Shoot

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,

Emily Tong

Really Right Stuff, Inc.

Call 805.528.6321 or toll free from the US and Canada 888.777.5557 fax 805.528.7964

1146 Farmhouse Ln

San Luis Obispo, CA 93401

Visit our web site at Really Right Stuff

Alan

Their suggestions just seem too short for me and might allow some bit of rocking perhaps. However, after reading & seeing their suggestions, I mounted an MPR-73 plate on my MF grip with the tripod screw set all the way to the short end of it. The wheel will not quite pass to the side of this MPR-73 plate, but with less than a quarter inch (perhaps as small as ⅛) machining it would work and give you about twice the stability of the plates that RRS suggested. The MPR-73 plate does protrude a ½ inch beyond the handle end of the grip. Upon close inspection the only part of the MF grip wheel that will not pass by the plate are the finger notching around the entire wheel. It looks like the flat part of the wheel would pass without a problem.

You are lucky that an L arrangement is not necessary as your solution is quite simple compared to an L bracket approach.

• Like 1

Alan

Their suggestions just seem too short for me and might allow some bit of rocking perhaps. However, after reading & seeing their suggestions, I mounted an MPR-73 plate on my MF grip with the tripod screw set all the way to the short end of it. The wheel will not quite pass to the side of this MPR-73 plate, but with less than a quarter inch (perhaps as small as ⅛) machining it would work and give you about twice the stability of the plates that RRS suggested. The MPR-73 plate does protrude a ½ inch beyond the handle end of the grip. Upon close inspection the only part of the MF grip wheel that will not pass by the plate are the finger notching around the entire wheel. It looks like the flat part of the wheel would pass without a problem.

You are lucky that an L arrangement is not necessary as your solution is quite simple compared to an L bracket approach.

Thanks very much. I'm going to have a look at Kirk as well. Luckily, this is a 2015 project so I have lots of time to figure it out.

Here is a possibility from Kirk. Oblong and shorter than the RRS. Probably less likely to rock than a square one. I will keep looking.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Alan, as you must have figured out the key to being able to use any QR plate is the distance from the tripod screw to the edge of the plate. The oblong feature probably helps for stability as you mention, but it can also inhibit loosening that MF grip wheel.

I'm looking at this as well since I just got the MF grip.

The B9 E (square small) does not fit unless you over hang the anti-twist lip well forward which means much less contact surface with the base. It contacts the Leica vertical grip otherwise. You could just dock off the corner (maybe just a 3 or 4mm corner) that would contact the vertical grip. Probably 5 minutes with a Dremel and maybe I might just do this. Fitted with lip to rear it overlaps the lock wheel considerably.

It would be offset as is the tripod socket of the MF Grip of course.

The L97L (designed for a lens foot) doesn't work as it overlaps the fixing wheel in any configuration.

The tiny BPnS-S designed for P&S won't work as the anti-twist ridge can't be aligned to front or back.

I have these plates here and just tried them.

The square BPnS might fit. I don't have that one. It has a cork gasket and no anti-twist lip. Personally I wouldn't be satisfied with that.

For me , I think the compromise solution is to swap MF Grip for RRS base when needed.

I don't often need the electronic functions of the MF Grip but I dislike the RRS vertical grip component design. I never got it for my M9 either.

Edited by hoppyman

For me , I think the compromise solution is to swap MF Grip for RRS base when needed.

I don't often need the electronic functions of the MF Grip but I dislike the RRS vertical grip component design. I never got it for my M9 either.

Geoff, I happen to like the RRS base and grip but for my project I am going to need a flash off camera, need to use the EVF for precise framing, and hence the MFG. So I'm still hunting for a solution. I think it's the small corked RRS or the Kirk. One of them would also work on a my T, so that's likely my route unless I am in the mood to haul out my Dremel.

Yes, understood Alan. I would like to have the quick release features on the RRS base integrated into my MF grip too. I might wish that the L component of the RRS base was reversible as well. That would put the eyepiece higher and much more accessible in portrait orientation.

Yes, understood Alan. I would like to have the quick release features on the RRS base integrated into my MF grip too. I might wish that the L component of the RRS base was reversible as well. That would put the eyepiece higher and much more accessible in portrait orientation.

Geoff

To have the RF on top was why I got the very adjustable RRS generic L bracket (MC-L) which once modified fits under the MF grip so one can leave the L bracket in place when changing battery/SD card. I have posted photos about 6 months ago on how this works/looks. In this way I have the RF on top which is most often very handy.